PDA

View Full Version : Received another item to add to the cooling equation - Need Help

mjassbong
10-25-2005, 10:30 AM
I just receive 1 more D5 pump from Danger Den to add to the current loop. But I need the experts recommendation/suggestion as to where to install this second pump. Here are 2 options. Components for each of the loop below are placed according to the shortest tubing and without any kinking.

So which new loop you think is best?

[Current Loop]
Res > D5 > Storm > PA120.3 > GPU2-NV78 > GPU1-NV78 > Chip-Maze4 > Res

[New Loop - Option1: Series]
Res > D5-1 > D5-2 > Storm > PA120.3 > GPU2-NV78 > GPU1-NV78 > Chip-Maze4 > Res

[New Loop - Option2: Parallel]
Res Out1 > D5-1 > NV78-1 > NV78-2 > Chip > Y-IN1 >
Res Out2 > D5-2 > Storm > Y-IN2 ------------------> Y-OUT > PA120.3 > Res

MaxxxRacer
10-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Option 2 is most certainly the most logical solution.

moonlightcheese
10-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Option 2 is most certainly the most logical solution.
why is that? first of all, he says his res has 2 outlets... i haven't thusfar seen a res with two outlets... those two barbs are usually inlets. he's got the res hooked up wrong in option 2...

i would think parallel would be the obvious solution... no line splits, same flow throughout the loop. AFAIK Y-splitters have bad pressure drop associated with them and decrease the flow...

mjassbong
10-25-2005, 11:59 AM
The reservior is a dual 5.25 bay with 4 inlets and 2 outs. I believe it is made by Primochill and it is called Typhoon.

Well option1 (series) would be 1 continuous loop - no splits anywhere. There is no split for option 2 either because each loop would have it's own line from the reservior. The only thing is, both loop merge at the radiator inlet. Will this be a problem?

carmelo
10-25-2005, 02:58 PM
The reservior is a dual 5.25 bay with 4 inlets and 2 outs. I believe it is made by Primochill and it is called Typhoon.

Well option1 (series) would be 1 continuous loop - no splits anywhere. There is no split for option 2 either because each loop would have it's own line from the reservior. The only thing is, both loops merge at the radiator inlet. Would this be a problem?

The only problem i see is adding a little bit of heat from the additional water pump. Also having a bunch extra hoses and such. Option 2 GPUS may be a little cooler, but option 2 also allows for the best flow for the storm block. Actually now that I think about it ... the GPUS most likely wont be that cooler due to the water all being in the same loop. The overall water temp.will roughly be the same due to it mixing in the rad, and in the res. If you want an easier setup to manage, go with option 1. If you have alot of room, want more flow for your block go with 2.

mjassbong
10-25-2005, 04:26 PM
The heat from the D5 is minor so am not too worried about that. But I see what you're saying about the overall water temps being roughly the same. Option 1, indeed, is easier. I only have to make 1 or 2 adjustments. We'll see.