PDA

View Full Version : UV Dye Question

moonlightcheese
10-25-2005, 04:09 AM
I've got blue UV dye in the loop (bought from Voyuermods) but it appears that it's not working at all... i put some UV lights up to it at night and it glows, but VERY faint. i want the tubes to be really luminescent. i've seen a lot of the pics posted from other users on this forum and their green/blue UV dye is pretty bright. is there another type of UV dye? am i just not using enough of it? it's like a 5oz bottle and i poured about 7/8's of it into the water...

i think voyuermods just sold some watered down crap dye. where should i get some decent stuff that will really make the lines glow?

carmelo
10-25-2005, 04:23 AM
I've got blue UV dye in the loop (bought from Voyuermods) but it appears that it's not working at all... i put some UV lights up to it at night and it glows, but VERY faint. i want the tubes to be really luminescent. i've seen a lot of the pics posted from other users on this forum and their green/blue UV dye is pretty bright. is there another type of UV dye? am i just not using enough of it? it's like a 5oz bottle and i poured about 7/8's of it into the water...

i think voyuermods just sold some watered down crap dye. where should i get some decent stuff that will really make the lines glow?

A buddy of mine uses that swifttech fluid. He doesn't have any black lights in the case, but he does have some Blue LED lights which will make anything UV sensitive light as well, and his water seems to have a nice glow to it. Im sure with am actual UV light it'll shine pretty good. Im thinking about picking some up since I got rid of my alu. rad and can go with an all copper loop.

moonlightcheese
10-25-2005, 04:39 AM
well i'm wanting blue because green will not match my case at all. trying to stay with the theme...

Marci
10-25-2005, 04:58 AM
All depends on your tubing. Tygon for instance is surgical lab grade tubing, so has UV Filters builtin which SEVERELY reduce the effect of UV lamps on your dye.

moonlightcheese
10-25-2005, 05:01 AM
yea i noticed that the tubing makes a huge difference. i have mostly plain old PVC tubing from home depot, which lets all light through. but then i have primoflex for the tight bends and it's very cloudy. whats the translucency on clearflex60? same as everyday Vynil tubing? and which blue UV dye to couple with it?

Marci
10-25-2005, 05:24 AM
I always found invisible blue gave off the best blue glow (ie: invisible under regular light, only glows blue under UV. Rest of time it's clear)

Clearflex also has UV Filters... cheapest nastiest PVC is the best to use for UV looks. Or just get UV Tubing.

moonlightcheese
10-25-2005, 05:29 AM
i can probably cut the crap PVC to where it won't kink. the primoflex was only really necessary in one place but i think i can work around it. where can i get some of that dye?

EDIT: nevermind... found it >_>
is this it?
http://www.directron.com/waterdye.html
and what about these:
http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/super_cooling/uv_dye/
http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=93281UB

carmelo
10-25-2005, 05:36 AM
Frozencpu.com sells there own brand of dye now ...

xenolith
10-25-2005, 10:57 AM
I was going to get some Primoflex UV tubing (dyed UV green) because I read somewhere that dye can possibly damage your pump over time. But I never heard of Primoflex. Is it as good as Clearflex 60?

moonlightcheese
10-25-2005, 11:06 AM
i don't know it it's as good as clearflex60 since i've never used the stuff. primoflex has a lot of wall thickness but it is VERY flexible. i love it except for the fact that you can't see the water through the lines.

Leeum
10-25-2005, 03:16 PM
I've never noticed any problems with Tygon and the UV effect.

http://www.aslr97.dsl.pipex.com/98001.jpg

UV Blue revealing dye and 2x UV CCFLs :)

Just for the record, the tube on the right of the picture is Clearflex 60, the rest is Tygon.

beermanpro
10-25-2005, 04:04 PM
i have Hydrx with my Clearflex60 nd it glow very nice, but if u mix water with zerex nd some UV drops it will glow cool 2

mjassbong
10-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Zerex is pinkish red in color. But has anyone tried adding different color dye, e.g. blue uv dye, to see if the zerex color change? I would love to use zerex but red is just not my color.

moonlightcheese
10-25-2005, 05:16 PM
i was lookin for somethin like this:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1017729&postcount=632

da-key
10-25-2005, 06:55 PM
Well just get some leak tester for your radiator, Its a little bottle of Uv reactive liquid for finding leaks in your coolant system,down at the local Orielly Auto parts. Same stuff as what they sell at a few places online basically.

Or you can do what i did for awhile and take some distlled water and get a package of bic highlighter and take the yellow and green ones and soak the guts form the markes in about a cup of the water. That makes about a years supply of some potent stuff dude ! The other colors in the pack red, blue etc don't work as well as mixing the green and yellow. Being non toxic sort of this also is good for halloween or wherever you have a blacklight. Put some in a squirt gun fill up some vases or add some to your aquarium I did and it doesnt kill the fish!

da-key
10-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Zerex is pinkish red in color. But has anyone tried adding different color dye, e.g. blue uv dye, to see if the zerex color change? I would love to use zerex but red is just not my color.
Use a 10% solution of some good antifreeze and get some water wetter and add 1/2 bottle to every 1 gallon in your system. That will look greenish with a slight orange cast through tygon. Apply some good UV blacklight and bam its glowing like theres lights inside the tubes :woot: :woot: see the above post for Dye that I use.

The antifreeze prevents any stuff from growing and lubricates the pump etc. The water wetter conteracts the antifreeze and then some by aiding the heat exchanging capacities of the fluid.

idleuser
10-25-2005, 09:22 PM
I notice the blue is UV dye is very faint if anything so I switched over to Green UV Dye and seems to work best.. It glows like no other.

MaxxxRacer
10-25-2005, 10:50 PM
For those of you who do knot know this,

as far as UV dye goes, Green glows the best, and blue has one of the fantiest glows.. This is common to ALL UV dyes..

beermanpro
10-26-2005, 07:26 PM

Ive tried it and it works very nice ;)

Zerex + some UV Dye Drops :woot: