PDA

View Full Version : Bad temps?

Larry
10-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi i just got my swiftech apex extreme duty kit installed it all and im getting bad temps according to my bios. Im running my vennice at 260x10 with 1.425 vcore i have both the fans running at 12v and i only have my cpu hooked up to it. My lay out is pump/block/rad/res/pump and i have the pump on number 5 full speed. Idle temps are 38 load temps are 50 and system temps are 31 any ideas

Leeum
10-24-2005, 01:29 PM
What thermal paste are you using? If it's AS5 and you've recently installed the kit you'll need to burn it in for a couple of days to let it settle. If that doesn't work then I'd re-install the block again and try tighting it down a bit more for some better contact ;)

moonlightcheese
10-25-2005, 03:44 AM
which mobo are you using? it's probably just the inaccuracy of your mobo sensor... they are only accurate to about +/-10... 5 is the best deviance i've seen...

in addition, you are overclocking and i believe the venice cores are locked going up, so with the increase in vcore and fsb your temps aren't that unbelievable. you can guess about 3C standard deviation for your crap mobo sensor and adding vcore from 1.3 to 1.425 should add some heat...

like Leeum said, your best bet is to reseat the block. use AS Ceramique or AS5 and be sure it covers the area over the CPU die. other than that, it may be that your IHS is insulating your die and removing it would help a great deal, what were your temps on air?

EDIT: in addition to the fact that mobo sensor are teh ebil... you have to realize that the Storm G4 only cools directly over the die, so inaccurate temp readings are common with this block.

Larry
10-25-2005, 09:52 AM
My mobo is a epox 9nd3a+ nforce 3 and i was using some crap thermal paste but then i changed it to as5 yesterday so i will see if i gain better temps after a few days. I have never had a air cooling on this chip only water so dont no what temps with air are? Do u think its worth it takeing of the IHS it looks pretty easy to do

jahjahbinks
10-25-2005, 10:02 AM
That's too high. At 1.53 vcore, mine is 25C at idle. It might have something to do with the way you applied thermal grease, or you have high ambient temperature.

moonlightcheese
10-25-2005, 10:08 AM
whats your ambient temp jahjah?

carmelo
10-25-2005, 10:09 AM
My mobo is a epox 9nd3a+ nforce 3 and i was using some crap thermal paste but then i changed it to as5 yesterday so i will see if i gain better temps after a few days. I have never had a air cooling on this chip only water so dont no what temps with air are? Do u think its worth it takeing of the IHS it looks pretty easy to do

Removing the IHS is easy, and will show some improvement. How much improvement depends on how they applied the thermal paste to your die at the factory. Only way to find out is to open it up :) ... theres plenty of pics in the AMD forum, I think its under the best of AMD. I posted a small thread about when I pulled mine off. Its very simple, all you gotta remember is be carefull. Also mounting your storm on your IHS free cpu may be difficult, and I would suggest practicing at least once before you actually do it. Just in case ya know ... you want to remember to apply that presure evenly .. or you may crack a corner of the die.

beermanpro
10-25-2005, 10:10 AM
dude thats pretty bad, i think is wrong installed, or something like that, i have 14C in my system :D with a dual 120mm custom heater core

Larry
10-25-2005, 10:25 AM
well i have remounted the block 2 times with the crap paste only once with the as5 and i removed the top plastic mount on the mobo so i could apply abit more pressure but still same old crap. Not to sure what my abient temp is cant be over 25c as it is only 18c in the day now where i live. What about if i buy a thermometer and put it into the res to see what water temps are would this be a good indication to whats going on?

moonlightcheese
10-25-2005, 10:54 AM
i have 14C in my system
soo..... your room is a refridgerator? that's quite a bit under ambient lol.

jahjahbinks
10-25-2005, 11:45 AM
whats your ambient temp jahjah?

anywhere from 20-22C.

Leeum
10-25-2005, 03:14 PM
Sounds like the motherboard thermistor is reading wrong, try updating the BIOS :)

beermanpro
10-25-2005, 04:02 PM
soo..... your room is a refridgerator? that's quite a bit under ambient lol.

Well, ambient temp is like 9c :P hahahahah

Larry
10-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Ok little update tryed different bios no change in temps took of the IHS on winchester and still idles at 39c 40c must be a fooked temp reading will have to buy a thermometer to put n the res and see what temp the water is surely it cant be this bad i have seen people get really good temps with this kit weird one?

black rose
10-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Ok little update tryed different bios no change in temps took of the IHS on winchester and still idles at 39c 40c must be a fooked temp reading will have to buy a thermometer to put n the res and see what temp the water is surely it cant be this bad i have seen people get really good temps with this kit weird one?

don't sweat it too much, i'm bettin on just crappy readings. touch the WB and see if it's hot at all, if it is then I'd be worried.

moonlightcheese
10-29-2005, 05:36 AM
putting a thermometer in the water won't give you the die temps. get a thermistor and place it on the copper base of the storm closest to the die as possible.

Larry
10-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Which thermistor do i get? remeber i live in the uk :) thanks for replys

racinjimy
10-29-2005, 10:55 AM
not to be a :banana::banana::banana::banana:

but (I'm not sure how WC savvy you are)

you have your input/outputs correct on your block and your pump?

Larry
10-30-2005, 09:00 AM
yes it is correct

Ferry82
10-31-2005, 09:54 AM
My temps with the storm kit are 36 idle and 48 prime.
This is on a DFI with a cabne 0530 apmw 3000mhz @1,45

I think my temp are high to on the other hand with a xp120 with papstfan i get 38idle and 60load.

I did maybe used too much AS Ceramique first time using this stuff.

What do you guys think is better AS Ceramique or AS5?

Next week i gonna take the idiots head (IHS) off.

Are there any problems with a cpu witout a IHS in combination with DFI NF4 and Stormblock?

Thanks Ferry82

Ferry82
11-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Bump can anyone answer my question?

moonlightcheese
11-01-2005, 12:29 PM
be careful with the IHS removal as the storm does not mount evenly on the DFI boards. as far as your temps go, you maybe applied too much paste. and yes AS5 is better than ceramique. i actually noticed a difference when i made the switch. i'm using AS5 forever.

removing the IHS certainly can't hurt. it may be insulating your processor. be very careful during removal and be sure not to crush the die when installing the storm on the exposed chip. use AS5 sparingly (a little goes a long way). this should get your temps nice and low. oh... and make sure you have the storm setup properly. the middle barb is the inlet and the one off to the side is the outlet.

Ferry82
11-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks Moonlightcheese for the info changing too as5 soon.

I have one more question about NF4 DFI Board and Storm Mounting without the IHS.
The whit Stripe(dont know how too call it) above the cpu das it give any problems with mounting the Stormblock? I Read some people sanding this down so it fits better(same hight as the core)

demonR6
11-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Larry, the inline temp sensor won't do much I think as the temps on the CPU will be different from the water temp. Getting the sensor close to the inlet won't do much but tell you how cold the H20 is on the way in. I have mine between the rad>pump and it is 28c at idle.. from there it is a short trip from the pump>CPU and I have a 4c reading in MBM5. Close perhaps, but probably off a bit.

Ferry82, looks like you have one of those golden 3000+'s I was hoping to get. I got stuck with a 24xx dud. It looks like we are running close to the same hardware, my idle is 33~34c with 1.47V. Ambient temps here stink, I am in Florida so nothing near cool here at the moment. I think my temps when I had my XP-90 with my Panaflo Ultra High 92 cfm were close to what you are getting. I was using Shin Etsu with that set up but Ceramique now. I am not too keen on my temps but I will give it a few days, if nothing improves I will pop the wb and try AS5.

moonlightcheese
11-01-2005, 06:32 PM
The whit Stripe(dont know how too call it) above the cpu das it give any problems with mounting the Stormblock? I Read some people sanding this down so it fits better(same hight as the core)
i think you mean the piece of the socket that is slightly raised... if that's what you are talking about then the storm block actually has a groove in the copper bottom to compensate for that area. it fits perfectly on my DFI without sanding or modding of the socket at all.

[XC] Lead Head
11-01-2005, 07:01 PM
which mobo are you using? it's probably just the inaccuracy of your mobo sensor... they are only accurate to about +/-10... 5 is the best deviance i've seen....

I thought the athlon 64s had the temp sensor built into it because i am pretty sure it would be pretty hard for a temp sensor to read through the plastic of the socket

Ferry82
11-03-2005, 06:33 AM
So i did remove the IHS it was a sh*t job good tools like a verry small razorblade and verry thin srewdriver are everething :slap:

Here are my old temp and new temps.

My temps with the xp120+Papstfan are 38 idle and 60 load prime.
This is on a DFI with a cabne 0530 apmw 2900mhz @1,45

With IHS
My temps with the storm kit are 36 idle and 48 load prime.

Witout IHS
My temps with the storm kit are 27 idle and 35 load prime.

I Just did 3200mhz superpi 1M :fact:

Thanks for al your help.

Pipi
11-03-2005, 07:04 AM
Doesn't the 9NDA3 series lie about the temps? Someone's CPu was at almost 80°C loaded (OCed) and wehn he directed a fan towards the mosfets, the temperature dropped to 46 IIRC instantly.

moonlightcheese
11-03-2005, 07:33 AM
With IHS
My temps with the storm kit are 36 idle and 48 load prime.

Witout IHS
My temps with the storm kit are 27 idle and 35 load prime.

I Just did 3200mhz superpi 1M :fact:

Thanks for al your help.
wow... now that is a huge difference. another IHS culprit. i swear... those things are the devil. removing the IHS produced a 9C temp drop in idle and a whopping 13C at load. now that's a huge difference. i think you just inspired me to remove my own IHS.

NOTE TO SELF: always suggest removing IHS when temps are abnormally bad. thanks for posting your results Ferry!