PDA

View Full Version : ACPI disabled on Win XP Install?

JestersTear1
01-08-2003, 07:13 AM
Should I disable ACPI in the bios before I install Win XP Pro?

What are the pros and cons?

Thanks guys!

Tex
01-26-2003, 01:21 PM
The only advantage would be if you were having probs with the irq sharing for the devices causing instabilities. 99 percent of the time there are not probs anymore. If Abit would get their ยงยงยงยง together and get a damn bios that ran APIC properly things would be better as APIC (not acpi) does not share IRQ's and improves performance generally. I have yet to hear of any abit board running apic without probs. Every other MB I have used APIC on has been sweet. I can't figure out what is so damn hard for them regarding APIC as even the little ECS k7s5a's run apic perfectly. Every other MB maker has this sorted out but Abit. Abit needs to get APIC straightened out !

Just intstall Win XP normal for now is my advice. Without it you lose all the power saving... hibernation.. standby... soft power off etc..

ACPI attempt sto share IRQ's with other devices where it thinks it can as you do not have enough IRQ's to support all the pci slots and devices attached to todays computers in a nutshell. It does fine most the time with modern MB's and cards.

Tex

sjohnson
01-26-2003, 01:29 PM
One trick regarding APIC and 3dmark is to install without APIC enabled, then enable it on the reboot just prior to your run. Helps get higher scores.

Tex, just curious, what problems with APIC and ABIT? Feel free to take this to PM or start another thread so we don't hijack this one.