PDA

View Full Version : My Bracket racer :)

max_Jaker
10-24-2005, 05:05 AM
hey im just getting aquainted with these forums so i think ill show u all my ride its mostly a drag car..but its potential is yet to be released i hava a few mismatched parts still on her my heads are ported out for high rpm and my intake is a dual plane performer so its not a good combo there but the rest is set up nice and with just an intake swap i could gain a ton in the quarter mile just from allowing my ported heads to Flow like they should..(intake and 125 hp nitrous kit this winter )

also my posi clutches in the rearend are original and its a 7.5 inch posi unit that came stock with the 4 cyl turbo. 195 thousand miles im amazed it lasted this long really espically with the v8 its got now :) although the 4 cyl 5 speed lasted 3000 miles after the v8 swap lol :P it went boooom!

the engine is from a wrecked 1994 mustang GT i run on street tires for now until i get a better rearend (getting a 9 inch ford for 75 dollars !! very soon)

the car is lightened a lot but still can lose around 230 more pounds from misc stuff not needed it at the moment weighs 3020 pounds with out me in it
and a half tank of fuel

im hoping for low 11's next spring after the nitrous intake and rearend and slicks :) i bracket race this car so i would love to jump up a couple classes and make more winnings when i do win :)

well enough talk heres some pics
http://www.dragtimes.com/detail.php?ID=3836
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/max_Sleeper/2.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/max_Sleeper/jakes86tbird1ava.gif
pic of engine before i got holley carb
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/max_Sleeper/engine.jpg
pic of ported heads
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/max_Sleeper/DVC00235.jpg

Rukee
10-24-2005, 07:25 AM
I`ve never been so high in my life as when running at the drag strip!! :D
Looks like a great job of opening up and smoothing out the area under the valves.
Low 11`s would be kick ass!! I`ve run high 11`s in a street car I build up.

conrad.maranan
10-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Looks like a good, low-budget sleeper. The picture of your engine bay brought back some painful memories of my Edelbrock 750cfm carb. That thing gave me nothing but headaches. Don't forget to port-match your intake manifold's runners to the heads. They don't make that much of a difference on the dyno, but every last bit counts. What gear ratio do you plan on running in the rear?

David Coleman
10-25-2005, 08:38 AM
Looks like a good, low-budget sleeper. The picture of your engine bay brought back some painful memories of my Edelbrock 750cfm carb. That thing gave me nothing but headaches. Don't forget to port-match your intake manifold's runners to the heads. They don't make that much of a difference on the dyno, but every last bit counts. What gear ratio do you plan on running in the rear?

port matching can screw with reversion....

Tim
10-25-2005, 09:19 AM
Not really knowledgeble on cars...but looks awesome...good job....

Made the Torque be with you :D

max_Jaker
10-25-2005, 10:53 AM
The picture of your engine bay brought back some painful memories of my Edelbrock 750cfm carb. That thing gave me nothing but headaches. Don't forget to port-match your intake manifold's runners to the heads. They don't make that much of a difference on the dyno, but every last bit counts. What gear ratio do you plan on running in the rear?

heheh so true edelbrocks just are not usually the best choice im very pleased with my holley :) but the edelbrock wasnt too bad it took a lot of tuning though.. not that the holley didnt with the cam i got in that car its a pain sometimes to tune

im running a 3.45 rear gear right now with the nitrous and the new rear i will run a 4.11 rear posi welded

i already got a 31 spline driveshaft and will get 31 spline axles for the 9 inch if its not already

the problem with port matching on stock ported heads is the intake runner at the mouth where the pushrod bulge pinches the port wall inward is smaller than the port opening thus you should only port the intake (and only if the pinch is bigger) not the head to the pinched areas size to keep the air flow high but port area small

on aftermarket heads again this sometimes is not a problem because they use smaller diameter holes going thru the head for the pushrods thus creating more room for the intake wall to be ported removing the pinched area :)

Jake.

conrad.maranan
10-25-2005, 11:02 AM
port matching can screw with reversion....
That's an old school of thought. Controlling reversion by mismatching port sizes and shapes would require the cylinder head to have a drastically larger port than the intake manifold. At that point, maintaining the velocity of the intake charge is impossible.

trakslacker
10-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Hey max, you ever post over @ TCCoA? Just wondering as its an awesome place for all kinds of T-bird info and mods, for everything from the Foxbodies(you) to the MN-12, and even to the FN-10 Mark VIII's. If you arent already over there, you should really check it out. I'll PM you the link, b/c I dont think i can post it in the thread. :)

David Coleman
10-26-2005, 07:07 PM
That's an old school of thought. Controlling reversion by mismatching port sizes and shapes would require the cylinder head to have a drastically larger port than the intake manifold. At that point, maintaining the velocity of the intake charge is impossible.

Eh, it seemed to work well on the only Japanese engine to ever win LeMans with its variable length runner system which relied on basically varying the distance the air smacking the closed valve had to travel. Just a thought....

conrad.maranan
10-26-2005, 07:52 PM
I'm sure there are instances wherein the theory may still be applicable. However, a lot of todays camshafts have profiles optimized for fast action. Cams that sport a shorter duration also minimize reversion. :)

max_Jaker
11-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Hey max, you ever post over @ TCCoA? :)

Sure have IM _max_Sleeper_ at that forum :) i dont visit it much though in the wintertime im usually just not too excited to work on the car in the winter when spring rolls around though that all changes :)
Jake.