PDA

View Full Version : chew*s hooptie

chew*
10-22-2005, 05:59 AM
heres my 1992 pontiac bonneville in almost mint condition.

http://members.cox.net/wmdieselmc26/da%20hooptie.JPG

Here I have installed a kenwood cd headunit with sattelite radio/jvc dvd headunit mounted where ashtray used to be/and a blaupunkt 6.5 inch lcd screen. Mounted in doors is a component set of 6 1/2" powerbass extremes with passive crossovers.

http://members.cox.net/wmdieselmc26/front%20view.JPG

pic of my left trunk amprack hosting my rockford fosgate 800 a2 amplifier and a 1 farad capacitor that powers my subs

http://members.cox.net/wmdieselmc26/amp%201.JPG

pic of my right trunk mounted amp rack hosting my mtx 4400 series amp ( 4 channel 400 watts) which powers my 6 1/2 powerbass extreme components and 2 polk audio 6x9's mounted in rear dash.

http://members.cox.net/wmdieselmc26/amp%202.JPG

pic of the heart of the system showing 4 12" JL audio subs. Believe me it was extremely hard to squeeze them all in that space.

http://members.cox.net/wmdieselmc26/subs.JPG

It hits roughly in the 152/153db range although i still have to sound deaden the whole car with dynamat which may give it a little more volume.

craig588
10-22-2005, 12:30 PM
It's not safe to have a system so loud that you need to wear ear protection inside of a car.

What were you thinking?

And a video screen in a car, really, what good is that?

If you need a cap like that you need a better alternator.

Lestat
10-22-2005, 04:10 PM
It's not safe to have a system so loud that you need to wear ear protection inside of a car.

What were you thinking?

And a video screen in a car, really, what good is that?

If you need a cap like that you need a better alternator.

if you need a cap like that you need a better alternator.

ok that shows you dont know much about car audio. maybe you like your headlights to dim.. but this guy dont.
you show me 1 GOOD stereo that doesnt have a cap and usually multiple caps .. the only thing you'll find are competition units that may be running off dry cell batteries and even those have caps.

craig588
10-22-2005, 04:25 PM
With a good enough alternator you should be able to supply all of the power you need.

zabomb4163
10-22-2005, 04:28 PM
in most states having a screen like that within view of the driver is illegal

cadaveca
10-22-2005, 04:42 PM
With a good enough alternator you should be able to supply all of the power you need.
assuming the car was running. When i was into car stereos, engine off was a pre-requisite. Alternator is little use then. :D

craig588
10-22-2005, 04:50 PM
Oh, really?

Yeah, you need a cap in that case.

Aphex_Tom_9
10-22-2005, 06:55 PM
it's not a "hooptie" if it's in good condition with mods and stuff...

chew*
10-22-2005, 09:23 PM
Ok to clear the cap issue up. There are other things i didnt mention to the stereo system such as a 150amp custom alternator, an optima gel cell battery, 1 gauge wire from battery to trunk and even with all that and a 1 farad cap i still have a light dimming issue and am to cheap to invest in a 50 farad cap that fosgate makes. As far as competition well how would i know what it hits for decibels unless i ran it through the SPL lane.

video screen is a no brainer we watch movies in true crystal clear explosion shaking surround sound.........of course maybe you have never seen a new car as of late but a TV screen/dvd/tv is an option now...........It was mounted taking in mind that all people would be able to see it easily. Roof mounting would have given the front passenger a sore neck trying to watch it. It just so happens that the best mounting for it happened to give the driver a good view to. Also might add that technically all tv screens can only be played when vehicle is in park and parking brake is applied. Of course I use to install stereo's for a living so i just happened to bypass that feature.
(hooks up a ground wire to parking brake wire on LCD screen)

chew*
10-22-2005, 09:36 PM
it's not a "hooptie" if it's in good condition with mods and stuff...

anything 10 years old or older modded or not is still a hooptie. When you cant even find a book value on your car you indeed own a hooptie..........In fact a dealer offered me $200 for it as a trade in..........

Aphex_Tom_9
10-22-2005, 11:43 PM
anything 10 years old or older modded or not is still a hooptie. When you cant even find a book value on your car you indeed own a hooptie..........In fact a dealer offered me $200 for it as a trade in..........
hahaha ok

Reznik Akime
10-25-2005, 05:50 PM

Not only that, but you dont have to worry about over amping the thing and burning it up. And Lestat, do you know the workings of alternators and the problems accompanied with overdrawing? If you need a big cap, you will need a big alternator as well, lest you want to go through them every few months.

MaxxxRacer
10-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Now dont all of you go jumping on me here, but what exactly is the use of that particular cap..

Im an electronics guy, but not a car audio guy so I am a bit perplexed. I know a substantial amount about pro audio gear for studios and havnt come across any caps like that for powering speakers out of the amp. Granted most amps have tons of caps, but that is mainly for signal filtering.

conrad.maranan
10-25-2005, 11:40 PM
In a nuttshell, it stores energy for the next big boom.

MaxxxRacer
10-26-2005, 12:50 AM
figured as much... how retarded....

>100 db and you start to permanently dammage your ears. 140 db and it happens at an alarming rate... At the 155 db that chews system puts out.. well im shocked the tweaters havnt blown and the car hasnt rattled apart from te 452 square inches of sub in that car..

ohwell. I prefer quality over quanitity. *looks over at stax, NHT 2.9's and vintage marantz*

max_Jaker
10-26-2005, 06:45 AM
a cap is going to make you not need such a large alternator........

my last car was capless though and did have a 150 amp alternator on it and never dimmed the lights

1700 watt monoblock fosgate amp and dual voice coil eclipse 15 titanium is what i used at the time (car got broken into and all that is now gone) which is why i dont have a stereo anymore why buy one some little punk ass kid is gonna steal it to become the coolest on his block sooner or later..

but i have seen many cars that will do fine with stock alt and a cap

but of your going for maximum decibel level install an optima battery and a couple 1 megafarad caps and a deadly alternator as this will keep your amp maxxed out at all times never letting voltage drop :)

MaxxxRacer
10-26-2005, 11:07 AM
sheesh.. thats alot of eqiupment just to get it loud...

On a side note, I do hope u dont listen to it that loud on a regular basis?

chew*
10-27-2005, 05:02 AM
nah i have a pheonix gold base cube ( constant usable bass enhancement)
this allows me to dial in just how much bass i want. I have my system setup for sound quality for everyday use which means i shut the cube off. at the pull of the dial on my cube i can boost the bass 16db at any frequency from 20-100 hz( 40hz shakes sheet the most ). It's preety cool when you stop by a stereo shop to check stuff out and they ask you to turn it down cuz your shaking they're windows. anyway i listen to it at a moderate volume for everyday driving. Had i installed all this in hatchback it would be even louder :) not many people use bonnevilles in competition.