PDA

View Full Version : Installing Programs on a Flash Drive?

trakslacker
10-21-2005, 08:25 PM
Long story short: I'm wanting to install 3DMark01 and a few other programs onto a flash drive, but I don't know if thats possible. I havent yet purchased a flash drive b/c I dont know if there are any specific ones that are capable of something like this, or if none of them are(which I sort of suspect).

Anyhoo, are there any programs or utilities that are included with any usb drives out there(or any third party programs) that will allow me to have programs fully installed on a flash drive?

Ugly n Grey
10-21-2005, 08:34 PM
It appears as a piece of media to windows, there is nothing stopping you from booting off a flash drive even. It will work fine, not all drives are created equal though, some are much faster than others.

trakslacker
10-21-2005, 09:47 PM
yeah, was thinking about getting one of the OCZ Rally drives, 2Gb perhaps. I know you can transfer any files you want to the drive. But can you actually install those programs on the drive itself? That's what I'm wondering about

bachus_anonym
10-21-2005, 09:59 PM
USB Flash drive shows up in Windows under "Removable Drives". You can format it and install applications on it. You just have to remember that registry keys that are added during installation will be on the PC you had that flash drive attached to originally.