PDA

View Full Version : HDD: multiple partitions faster loads than single?

euclid
10-19-2005, 07:11 PM
hi, im wondering if i should partion my wd rapter 74g hard drive for multiple drive letters.

if i save XP and basic programs on one drive, say 25gb. then have another 50gb partion for storage... would my load times be faster since the drive wouldnt have scan one whole 74gb partiton?

if i am misunderstanding this then please correct me, thanks.

Ugly n Grey
10-19-2005, 07:15 PM
No it's no faster, files locations are still indexed on a single physical disk, so you won't gain anything. There maybe be other advantages, such as simpler ghosting of segregated data etc... but speed isn't one of the advantages..

nn_step
10-19-2005, 07:23 PM
No, You are wrong, raiding your drive with another Raptor would make it faster thou...

euclid
10-19-2005, 07:48 PM
thanks for the fast replies, ive been considering a raid0 array but i hear differing opinions about whether or not its actually faster in application. an additional 170$ seems excessive for a possible placebo and double the noise.

ill have to do some more serious reading about it. thanks again

nn_step
10-19-2005, 08:30 PM
The simple answer to every questions about Raids in General IS
If you want highiest possible benchmarks Raid0
If you want to back everything up Raid1
Raid 2-4 Only a few Rare uses for them
Raid 5 if you want capacity without any performance boost
Raid 0+1 Hardly used and isn't as good as
Raid 10 which is great for everything but max capacity...

kiwi
10-20-2005, 01:39 AM
I always have 10-20Gb partition for system/programs and the rest for storage etc. It makes things easier, reinstall, defragment etc. And it is always best to keep OS at the beginning of physical disk.