PDA

View Full Version : Capping Bandwidth on shared networks

sexyclown
01-07-2003, 03:55 PM
does anyone know how to cap bandwidth on 2 computers if 4 computers are sharing 1 cable connection? 2 of my computers demand much more bandwidth than the other 2, and when the other 2 are downloading from the internet, it significantly takes from the bandwidth of the other 2 computers. does anyone know how to cap bandwidth on 2 of my computers with either messing with internet settings or registry or playing around with router settings? i use winxp on all of my computers, and i run a linksys router that did not come with any router software.

Tweaked!
01-13-2003, 05:31 AM
I'm not sure if this will work or not, I don't know of any way to actually control or limit the amount of bandwidth other rigs use on a home network, but you can go into the latency settings of these other rigs and try lowering the amount of packet sending and receiving (sortof). Here's a link to a page that discusses how to raise the settings, you can probably go in and lower them in the same manner that it approaches raising them. There's a downloadable little proggie on this page that enables access to the registry for the latency settings. The only downfall I see in this though is that it will always be set to the new settings till you go back in and raise them back up. Here's the link:
Navas guide (http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/)
Do some reading on this page, it's pretty thorough about broadband tweaking and settings.:)

Btw, Welcome to Xtreme!:D

Have you considered joining our folding@home team? We'd enjoy having you:)

Charles Wirth
01-13-2003, 12:26 PM
www.tweaktown.com under the guides you will find XP tweaking guide 1 and 2.

In one of those guides it details on how to adjust QOS to limit/increase bandwidth. This might work for you.

Charles Wirth
01-13-2003, 12:27 PM
Oh yeah, Welcome to XtremeSystems