PDA

View Full Version : Weak PSU shutting off graphcis card?

steiner666
10-18-2005, 02:27 PM
I am having problems with my new Visiontek Xtasy X850XT PE (agp). In some games (Guild Wars, FEAR) the screen all the sudden goes blank although sounds and game controls persist. The light on my monitor goes from green to orange so there's no signal. Sometimes when this happens in GW i can hit Alt+Tab and it will bring my desktop up and then hit it again and the game will resume, same with FEAR. However sometimes it will go to the desktop (i can hear the ambient game noises stop) but the display will stay out forcing me to restart. I havent had these problems with past video cards and i just got this one this weak so I can only think that it would be a problem with the graphics card or my PSU.
Has anyone else had problems with their graphics card like this that has been resolved by gettin a new PSU? Right now i have a 450w cheap PSU that came with my case, and i havent had any issues until i got this new card. Anyways i'm trying to decide whether to send back my card or order a new PSU, so any advice on what to do and/or which PSU to order (under $100) would be great!

nn_step
10-18-2005, 05:49 PM
I need more information about your set up and what possible upgrades you plan to do in the next 6 months...
Such as SLi..
I need more information than that...

steiner666
10-18-2005, 06:47 PM
currently running:

P4 2.8ghz Northwood skt478 400FSB
1GB PC3200 RAM
Visiontek Xtasy X850XT PE (AGP)
200gb SATA 7200rpm maxtor
Belkin PCI wireless G NIC
Creative SB Live! 5.1
DVD-RW
2x 120mm LED fans
not sure bout mobo buut its a microATX
generic 450w PSU that came with case

I'm planning on upgrading to A64 +3700 or +4000 with a new mobo of course hopefully by end of the year, adding another GB of RAM and maybe a slave drive. I imagine i'll probably have to get a more reliable PSU to run what i want to run in the end but i dont want to upgrade it now if I dont have to. Still, i want to fix this damn problem.
Also i noticed that when i ran the FEAR demo level it would go blank within the first 10 seconds of entering the level (just hit a.t+tab to get it back) and in GW it did it at assorted times but once right when i got into a new area.
I'm trying to figure out if the PSU messed up because it was undr load from GFX card of course and maybe still loading up level or if theres a problem with the VRAM on the card when its loading up or something.
Also, the card is overclocking fine on ATItool, and i've ran 3Dmark and theres no problems there, and i played BF2 for about an hour and didnt experience any problems.