PDA

View Full Version : Replacing koolance parts, reallllly reallly low flow ?

carmelo
10-18-2005, 09:52 AM
So I was tring to find out some stuff about the koolance hardware I was using. They use a push pull design rated at 1liter per minute. So if I did my calculations rite your looking at 15gph, rite ? Thats alot lower than I thought it would be, but what ever I'm not complaining too much, just found that really low. My question to you guys is .. I guess I'm looking for a decent water pump, I dont want to spend alot of money. That 317gph swiftech one is calling my name, but i'm not shelling out 90 dollars for something that moves water around, maybe for christmass, but not just yet :) . So whats a cheap replacement I can ether use inside the koolance tank if I modified it, or some where else. Something quiet, and I would guess at least 90gph. I should see an increase in performance there rite?

I know that kills my low flow system, but I want to get more out of it, so I want to see what I can do....

Holst
10-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Before you go spending any money you really need to find out if its flow or rad performance thats the problem.

Buy a $5 thermomiter and test your water temps.

The coolance block may not perform much better with more flow, especially if your water temps is high, and extra pump wattage makes things worse.

Flow and block are ALLOT less important than water temp.
Gaining 5*c from flow and block is HARD, soemtimes gaining 5*c lower water temp is pretty easy.

carmelo
10-18-2005, 10:12 AM
Before you go spending any money you really need to find out if its flow or rad performance thats the problem.

Buy a $5 thermomiter and test your water temps.

The coolance block may not perform much better with more flow, especially if your water temps is high, and extra pump wattage makes things worse.

Flow and block are ALLOT less important than water temp.
Gaining 5*c from flow and block is HARD, soemtimes gaining 5*c lower water temp is pretty easy.

Im assuming my water temp is around 30c give or take, im using the koolance temp probe on my cpu without an IHS. the probe is so far from the core it cant give an accurate temp, but its flush with the base of the block so thats roughly the temp. of the block water before it passes over the core.

I KNOW i have an issue with flow, if you havent seen pics of my comp, heres a few here http://www.1081ds.com/pics/koolance/ . Thats also how I know its not ALL rad performance. I bought a few things which will increase rad performance though, but they wont be installed till sometime later this week.

IYP
10-18-2005, 10:39 AM
id revamp the whole loop if i were you....starting with 1/2" tubing

and you should be more worried about head pressure not flow rate

carmelo
10-18-2005, 11:04 AM
id revamp the whole loop if i were you....starting with 1/2" tubing

and you should be more worried about head pressure not flow rate

My system runs fine, and I'm not upgrading my HOLE SYSTEM to 1/2 inch tubing, for one its too large and I have no room, 2 im not spending money on a new block, gpu cooler, pump, and maybe even a second rad to replace the koolance rad.

My temps for using this koolance setup are pretty damn good Id say. Rite now im at 2600Mhz @ 1.6v. 41CPU load, and 51 GPU load (thats both GPUs rendering; 6800 ultras).

If its not broken, don't fix ... that mado very much applies to this, I don't know what any one elses koolance temps are, but this is far from the average regular koolance setup. After this weekend I'll have modified it more. Getting a new pump which I can use different fittings on later to adjust for my tubing size will be a better purchase that a whole new water cooling system. I haven't maxed this out yet, and I intend to.

Levish
10-18-2005, 12:33 PM
I think the rad is the first weak link in the koolances, their blocks/pumps work well together

J-Mag
10-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Yeah flow rate is alone is a useless indicator of a watercooling setup, IMO.

My flow rate is about .7lph or less (rough guesstimate) yet I achieve close to ambient on my CPU and NB. Gpus are another story however...

Anyway if I was in your situation, I would just buy another RAD...

carmelo
10-18-2005, 01:14 PM
Yeah flow rate is alone is a useless indicator of a watercooling setup, IMO.

My flow rate is about .7lph or less (rough guesstimate) yet I achieve close to ambient on my CPU and NB. Gpus are another story however...

Anyway if I was in your situation, I would just buy another RAD...

I have 2

Edit: Ok, so maybe im not explaining this well enough ... I have 1 CPU, 2 graphic cards, heatercore in my case, and than finally the koolance heatercore. So my loop goes in this order ...

Koolance -> CPU -> GPU1 -> GPU2 -> Heatercore -> Koolance

I have some stuff coming in that I will be using with the rads and that should help temps a bit. What I am looking for is a small simple replacement for my koolance pump. Im looking for a well priced, decent flow pump. Nothing highflow because the koolance blocks werent designed for that, just something to up my flow rate, or head pressure what ever truely makes the difference. Im sure my flow rate is very low, and the exos 2 only offers about 60gph (if i had done my math correctly) so I dont need something crazy, something im assuming around 100 gph would help me out a bit. I have alot on my loop, and I feel the upgraded pumps may help out, these little koolance pumps weren't designed for everything I am using on my loop. So far my temps are pretty good. If people dont know what my setup looks like theres a link in my first post of this thread.

Dragoon42
10-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Just out of curiosity, which koolance do you have? I have an old pc602 and I was thinking about changing it out. I was thinking of upgrading the radiotor.

Levish
10-21-2005, 10:18 AM
I see Koolance now has a aux radiator available, I think I'd still use something else with the right size fittings though

Gimmpy224
10-21-2005, 11:41 AM
If I had to find a cheap replacement Id go Mag3 BUT I hear those are not very reliable and are pretty leaky.

But I have also heard all you need to do is tape up the threads on it pretty good and they work great.

Andrew
10-21-2005, 12:56 PM
I have had a Mag3 running 24/7, pushing water through two CPU blocks, a GPU block, a chipset block and two 80mm rads for the last two and a half years. Not one problem.

ls7corvete
10-21-2005, 09:10 PM
I have 2

Edit: Ok, so maybe im not explaining this well enough ... I have 1 CPU, 2 graphic cards, heatercore in my case, and than finally the koolance heatercore. So my loop goes in this order ...

Koolance -> CPU -> GPU1 -> GPU2 -> Heatercore -> Koolance

I have some stuff coming in that I will be using with the rads and that should help temps a bit. What I am looking for is a small simple replacement for my koolance pump. Im looking for a well priced, decent flow pump. Nothing highflow because the koolance blocks werent designed for that, just something to up my flow rate, or head pressure what ever truely makes the difference. Im sure my flow rate is very low, and the exos 2 only offers about 60gph (if i had done my math correctly) so I dont need something crazy, something im assuming around 100 gph would help me out a bit. I have alot on my loop, and I feel the upgraded pumps may help out, these little koolance pumps weren't designed for everything I am using on my loop. So far my temps are pretty good. If people dont know what my setup looks like theres a link in my first post of this thread.

Come on guys look at his setup, he has plenty of radiator.

IMHO, get a MAG pump or a used ehiem which are going for peanuts now that everyone wants 12v pumps. Sell off the main koolance unit and you should come close to breaking even.

Remember you have to look at flow and head for a pump to get an idea of flow rates, flow rates in a system are much lower that flow rate at 0 head of a pump. even a 300gph pump will only get you 3-4 lpm.

carmelo
10-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Just out of curiosity, which koolance do you have? I have an old pc602 and I was thinking about changing it out. I was thinking of upgrading the radiotor.

I have an exos al, with the 3 80mm fans. For what its worth, dont bother upgradign the koolance, more work than its worth. Unless you have alot of time, and parts than it would be worth it. I'm not done with the koolance, but for now Im going to have to bench it. Im removing the koolance rad simply for the fact I dont think it adds much to the total cooling capacity. Im going to run my loop tomorrow and see how much it really removes. If my rad holds up without it I will remove it and do some modifing, in hopes to make this lighter. While the koolance is empty Ill look to upgrade hoses to 3/8s or 1/2 and work on a new extrernal rad box with the koolance unit. I have some peltier ideas in mind ... but thats just going to have to wait.

Dragoon42
10-22-2005, 12:43 AM
I have an exos al, with the 3 80mm fans. For what its worth, dont bother upgradign the koolance, more work than its worth. Unless you have alot of time, and parts than it would be worth it. I'm not done with the koolance, but for now Im going to have to bench it. Im removing the koolance rad simply for the fact I dont think it adds much to the total cooling capacity. Im going to run my loop tomorrow and see how much it really removes. If my rad holds up without it I will remove it and do some modifing, in hopes to make this lighter. While the koolance is empty Ill look to upgrade hoses to 3/8s or 1/2 and work on a new extrernal rad box with the koolance unit. I have some peltier ideas in mind ... but thats just going to have to wait.

Sweetness...your taking the original rad out and replacing it with a diff? I want to put my case to good use, I don't want to just have it sitting there.

carmelo
10-22-2005, 08:58 AM
Sweetness...your taking the original rad out and replacing it with a diff? I want to put my case to good use, I don't want to just have it sitting there.

No Im taking it out completly I think. I think it only takes a degree away, with those loud and annoying 3 80mm fans. So I may pull it out all together. That will lighten my rig, not only with all the extra parts but ALOT less water in the loop. I can empty my loop and use more water than Zerex this time. I MAY add another heatercore to my loop later on .. but thats if I can figure out a REALLY good way to mount them. Im still using a small mid tower case .. I like the "non hardcore gamer" look. My comp still looks like a plain office computer :)