PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT BUY an ANTEC Neo HE!

Dave in Daytona
10-18-2005, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by AntecRep
So we've got an answer.

The A8N SLI and A8N SLI Deluxe changed from rev1.01 to rev1.02 earlier this month; A8N SLI Premium changed from rev1.01 to rev1.02 in July.

They (Asus)suggests our shared customers with motherboard rev1.01 to update the drivers and BIOS, and also plug the onboard 4pin Molex connector. If the updates still don't solve the problem, the customer will need to contact ASUS RMA for replacement.

Version 1.02 boards should be ok, in house testing showed no problems with 1.02s.Antec Answers

First post:
HE Problem:

I went over to a buddy's shop to check out the new HE. Brought the load tester in the trunk of the car and everything.

We fired up the PC that was built with the HE. It fired up, but didn't post. Stripped it and powered it up and it didn't post beep. Pulled the parts from the case and hooked it up to the bench PSU (an FSP 350W) and it fired right up.

So we switched the bench PSU out with the HE and powered it up and this time the fan twitched and nothing more.

I then took a pocket PSU tester and hooked it up to the HE. It fired up and all of the lights lit up. So we figured we'd try the motherboard again.

When we hooked the HE back up to the mobo and hit the power button. Again: Nothing. After about 5 seconds.... POP! And then everything was off. Hooked the bench PSU back up to the motherboard and it fired right up again.

These CAN'T BE Seasonic. If they are, they're Seasonic rejects. :(This is from Hard: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=965645

There is more to come, just DO NOT BUY! :dog:

DO NOT BUY/USE!

igor0203
10-18-2005, 12:56 PM
maybe it was only one PSU screwed up?
OCZ 600W also isn't so good as 520W, but ppl still buys them

Mr. Tinker
10-18-2005, 01:31 PM
How do you know this is not just one defective unit? SPCR had no problems.

That sounds kind of like a problem with AC input detection, as the NeoHE is universal. I'll bet the FSP had input selector.

KoolDrew
10-18-2005, 01:40 PM
How do you know this is not just one defective unit?

This is what I was thinking. Still, Antec has failed to impress me lately at all.

Mr. Tinker
10-18-2005, 02:34 PM
The funny thing is that yesterday, Newegg said that the 500W was out of stock due 10/18/05 (today as I post) but now Newegg says due 10/31/05. I wonder if Antec called back a batch, or if Newegg had to sen all the new ones as RMA replacements.

nn_step
10-18-2005, 05:47 PM
You do Realize that the HEs are made at a different plant right?

One_Hertz
10-18-2005, 05:54 PM
hehehe my friend bought one of those today... I get to see him squirm

zenzog
10-19-2005, 12:57 AM
HE's are rebranded Seasonics?

/me FGI.

Dave in Daytona
10-19-2005, 09:14 AM
How do you know this is not just one defective unit? SPCR had no problems.

That sounds kind of like a problem with AC input detection, as the NeoHE is universal. I'll bet the FSP had input selector.Mr Tinker,

Do you really think I would post such a warning, if it was only one & even a few PSU's? :confused:

Please read the linked thread.

Dave :stick:

Overconfidence
10-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Is Antec gunna do anything about this? Has anyone contacted 'em?

Mr. Tinker
10-27-2005, 12:16 PM
Mr Tinker,

Do you really think I would post such a warning, if it was only one & even a few PSU's? :confused:

Please read the linked thread.

Dave :stick:
From your responses that I read in other forums just before you issued this statement, that's all anyone knew was about a few cases (The Saint and jonnyGURU). It's very possible that you had communication with Antec that I'm not aware of, I was just asking.

Anyway, it seems that this issue is settled and the problem exists because of an issue with the ASUS AN8 SLI and AN8 SLI Deluxe rev 1.01 boards:

So we've got an answer.

The A8N SLI and A8N SLI Deluxe changed from rev1.01 to rev1.02 earlier this month; A8N SLI Premium changed from rev1.01 to rev1.02 in July.

They (Asus)suggests our shared customers with motherboard rev1.01 to update the drivers and BIOS, and also plug the onboard 4pin Molex connector. If the updates still don't solve the problem, the customer will need to contact ASUS RMA for replacement.

Version 1.02 boards should be ok, in house testing showed no problems with 1.02s.
AntecRep did not disclose the nature of the incompatibility. Hopefully those are the only boards with issue.

-Tinker