PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot Sys

Hardass
05-23-2002, 12:14 PM
Getting ready to put os on rig #2 will be installing win xp and win2k Pro. Need some help. How do i start?

JBELL
05-23-2002, 12:31 PM
partition your hdd to equal shares... 10gb/10gb - what ever size they are give each system at leats 10gb.

install the main os you want on c: then once that installs insert disk of other os and let it install to the D: drive...

now this is a lot of work cuase you will have to install drivers TWICE for everything.... and update twice etc etc

but that is a basic run down of what to do.

Hardass
05-23-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by JBELL
partition your hdd to equal shares... 10gb/10gb - what ever size they are give each system at leats 10gb.

install the main os you want on c: then once that installs insert disk of other os and let it install to the D: drive...

now this is a lot of work cuase you will have to install drivers TWICE for everything.... and update twice etc etc

but that is a basic run down of what to do.

I don,t mind the work, I need 2 OS,s I have old games that won,t play on 2k. Is there a setting i have to check so it will allow 2 os?

JBELL
05-23-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Hardass

I don,t mind the work, I need 2 OS,s I have old games that won,t play on 2k. Is there a setting i have to check so it will allow 2 os?

no you just install and MS will know what to do

Hardass
05-23-2002, 01:24 PM

no you just install and MS will know what to do

Ok, Thanks

Hardass
05-24-2002, 08:52 AM
Does it matter which os you install first, I,m going to set up both rigs the same and my first already has win2k on it.

JBELL
05-24-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Hardass
Does it matter which os you install first, I,m going to set up both rigs the same and my first already has win2k on it.

yes it does -nwhich ever op you prefer and want to use most install THAT first!!

Hardass
05-24-2002, 08:57 AM

yes it does -nwhich ever op you prefer and want to use most install THAT first!!

Kewl thats win2k

Hardass
06-06-2002, 03:50 PM
If i already have win2k on hdd and have not created a 2nd partition can i do that without formating drive, so i can install xp?

JAWS
06-06-2002, 04:34 PM
Got another question pertaining to this?

Is it better to use Partition Magic or FDISK?

Hardass, I think all data is lost, but I'm not sure!

Hardass
06-06-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by JAWS
Got another question pertaining to this?

Is it better to use Partition Magic or FDISK?

Hardass, I think all data is lost, but I'm not sure!

I have partition magic, if that can be used to create a 2nd partion.

Chong345
06-13-2002, 02:40 PM
ok I also want a dual boot of xp and 2k but I am going to have a raid. How do I go about doing this. I want the 2k just for benchmarking or should I use another os for higher scores. My one fear is that if I reset my cmos cos of a oc prob will that clear my raid settings? I have an epox 8k3a+. PLus one bios I use sucks for raid but kicks ass benching and the other one has good raid but crappy benching. Won't this be a problem.

Instructions would help.

Shivian
06-14-2002, 05:43 AM
I would setup 2k first cause XP's installer will handle setting up the dual boot with 2k better than vice versa. Well you can be sure they tested it when writing XP :D

Partition Magic will preserve data depending on how much is already on the disk I believe. I've cropped off an end of a partition without losing anything but again it all depends...

FDISK will clear everything so its up to you.

And you say that you have old games that won't play on 2k? Well theres a big chance they won't run in XP either. You can also scour the M$ site for the compatibility patch for Win2k (so Win2k gains those compatibility modes that XP has).

Sorry I don't know much about RAID.... yet :D ... 2nd hdd on its way!

Ps Hi all :)

[EDIT: Was just fixing a typo or 2 ;) ]

Hardass
06-16-2002, 06:50 AM
With my hdd this way what should my boot.ini. look like so win2k which is c is listed first and xp which is f is 2nd, any other tips I,ll take.

Shivian
06-16-2002, 07:03 AM
This is my boot.ini for Win98/2k....

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Server" /fastdetect
C:\ = "Microsoft Windows 98"

XP will use the same bootloader so the only difference will be that you'll probably see something like

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect

Thats just a guess.... the listing that is after the "[operating systems]" will be the order that appears when you boot. You can rename those options as well.... just not the disk partition information before it.

Cheers!
Shiv

Hardass
06-16-2002, 08:46 AM
Had to reformat win2k so the boot.ini. didn,t have xp listed at all, so i put it in like this.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="microsoft windows 2000 professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)WINNT="microsoft windows xp professional" /fastdetect

Doesn,t work only boots win2k, it listed xp but when i try to boot it says a file is missing.

Shivian
06-16-2002, 03:37 PM
Is that copy/pasted straight from your boot.ini?
If so, this line
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)WINNT="microsoft windows xp professional" /fastdetect

should be

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINNT="microsoft windows xp professional" /fastdetect

(you missed the backslash after partition(4) ).

Hardass
06-16-2002, 03:53 PM
Thanks Bro, already reformated whole drive. Don,t like xp.

scrllock
06-24-2002, 08:33 AM
IMO xp sucks, haven't been able to install any nvidia drivers above 14.62 without having to reinstall windows, It's slow, and way too bloated.