PDA

View Full Version : Will you purchase a Mac with the new Intel Chipset?

JAWS
10-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Will you purchase a Mac with the new Intel Chipset?

Most of you know Apple will ship a Macintosh with an Intel chipset next year. I've never considered a mac until this announcement. MacMini is still way to expensive for a trial pc.

Anyways, I would love to know if the new chipset is enough for any of you to switch to Apple/OSX.

you don't necessarily have to post a comment, but please vote.

Vapor
10-16-2005, 05:57 PM
I said maybe a dual-boot but at the same time I would only buy a MacMini-like thing with a LV Yonah/Conroe which wouldn't need dual-boot. If I were to get a more powerful system, it'd need to be dual boot but I just don't see myself owning a high-end system that can't be OC'd.

I love the OS though--I wish they would sell it for other people to use (I'd pay a nice chunk of change too as I get all MS stuff for free and would have that 'spare' cash to spend on OSX).

nn_step
10-18-2005, 06:12 PM
I have a Mac and OsX on three of my rigs..Way too user friendly for Me....
I perfer an OS that is picky about it's friends..Hence I LOVE Unix...

Vapor
10-18-2005, 06:20 PM
LOL....I love slutty OSs :D

Magnj
10-18-2005, 06:23 PM
I said dual boot...maaaaybe. I think it would be fun to do some mods on one of the minis to use as a school PC or something. Like a little Media PC with one of those dual core dothan type deals.

Serra
10-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Still no. If I wanted gross incompatibility with 90% of the rest of the world, sure. I'm due to graduate as a network engineer in about a year, and I tell you there is little more annoying than having a fine-tuned large PC network up and running then having some single idiot in upper management who decides that he - like the rest of the Mac users - is a special computer rebel and therefore requires a Mac be integrated for his use. Some things work fine, but others... oh man, I'll never buy a Mac. They work just fine alone and magically with eachother for many things, but just don't play well with the other children.

~ Serra

JAWS
10-19-2005, 11:21 AM
your post and votes are much appreciated! Thanks and keep voting! :)

[XC] moddolicous
10-19-2005, 03:49 PM
I personally like macs, and would definetly give a mac with an intel chipset a try.

craig588
10-19-2005, 04:49 PM
I don't use an Apple system not because it's not made by Intel. I don't use it because it's not really an open platform.

If they released one version of a computer every 5 years or so I would probably use one because it's like a console.

tonyl
10-20-2005, 05:09 PM
Dual-booting is nice!

JAWS
10-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Has Intel made a special chip for apple? I've heard different stories.

antipop
10-24-2005, 03:50 AM
Since i own a mac, i've been totally hooked up on them and i don't see myself going back to windows anytime soon.

If they keep the same quality and OS i'll stick with them

Ugly n Grey
10-24-2005, 04:48 AM
Well, we all know my rants on the matter of Jack 'n' toss computers so I'll mostly refrain - ain't ever gonna happin for me personally, maybe for Mom when she needs an upgrade next. As for me I'd rather undergo gender reassignment surgery that be stuck with with OSX.

3NZ0
10-26-2005, 09:17 AM
dual boot for me,

i got a mac, and im pleased with it as it does its job perfectly :)

but at the same time i use windows for gaming etc. so the best of both worlds.

i found nemo
10-26-2005, 09:19 AM
lmao @ ung and his avy!!!

since i'm here i'll contribute

no, i won't i'm an amd fanboy i hate apples and intels so.. no :D

pissboy
10-26-2005, 03:18 PM
no thanks, I want an OS with some software for it..

setyotomo
10-27-2005, 11:15 AM
no.. hmmm... but maybe dual boot.. MAYBE (also depends on the price tag)

cannot imagine how much... macintosh + intel ;)

JAWS
10-27-2005, 02:25 PM
no thanks, I want an OS with some software for it..

maybe some existing software will work with the new chipset. emulation or not?

antipop
10-27-2005, 11:39 PM
maybe some existing software will work with the new chipset. emulation or not?
Nearly all the soft currently available will work with the new chipset thanks to Rosetta.

However i wouldn't buy the comp as soon as they come out, i'd wait for a Rev. B to solve all the hardware issues ;)

mr_knowitall15
11-07-2005, 11:16 PM
i voted dual boot. that would be sweet. Mac for vid editing, graphic design, workstationy stuff, and windows for games and such. I have to say, ive always HATED macs, especially since dealing with Imacs thru middle and high school. But i gotta say, taking a digital video editing class using older G5s and the new os X, im startin to like em. The final cut pro HD software suite kicks ass! A powerful yet easy to use suite for video editing, and graphics in the videos. Final cut pro+Motion+Live Type= ALMOST makes me wanna get a mac and get rid of my premiere pro software.

nf4
11-16-2005, 02:20 PM
I think that any windows user should give osX a try. It is based on bsd which best os on the market imo ofcource. It dose kida suck that they arnt all that costimizable. but the new g5 quads can use up to 15gb of ram. My gf's dad just bought the qaud for work. he dose some sort of dna research for canser cures or something. all they use is apple. he fill a 300gb/week with images from his microscope. I don't know what I think of intel makeing things for apple. I never looked in to any thing intel. I have used amd ever since i can remember. I hope Intel makes things cheaper for apple. I also hope that now that osX is out that more end-user programs come out. Like games and things like that for people who do that sort of thing. The computer that I have started in my sig will run bsd.

AJF
11-20-2005, 05:02 PM
I would love to be able to dual-boot between OSX and Windows. Imagine how pissed Microsoft would be to have another direction competitor.

I doubt Apple will do it, though, since they would make less money if their OS (the strongest selling point for their computers) would be available on any plane Jane rig.

Frisch
11-20-2005, 10:25 PM
You deleted a system file, you moron, it's gone, vanished, never to be seen again,no go, unrepairable, you have killed a Mac, cold hearted bastard.

I would have to say, no go.

jrw
11-21-2005, 07:50 AM
I would love Yonah on a new intel chipset in a mac-style laptop.

The finish and feel of the macs are second to none.

As for mac for a bench/gaming rig. Hell no.

antipop
11-21-2005, 08:14 AM
I would love Yonah on a new intel chipset in a mac-style laptop.

The finish and feel of the macs are second to none.

As for mac for a bench/gaming rig. Hell no.

I'm ready to buy myself a mac mini with an intel if it's nicely priced and has enough juice to act as a small home server. I'm currently using my old P4 to store all my data and i'd love to switch to something smaller and quieter. Wait and see in January.

JAWS
11-21-2005, 09:23 AM
if it's nicely priced and has enough juice

Excellent point! I still think Apple should have lowered the mac mini launch price. maybe $299? ;)

antipop
11-21-2005, 09:39 AM
$299 is kinda low and I don't think apple would launch it at a price so low, i was thinking about a $500 mini with a Yonah, 80GB HDD (2.5"), 1GB ram, DVD writer, airport and bluetooth all in the same small package. If they can add frontrow that would be perfect :D (but all that for $299 would be even better :D)

Okda
11-21-2005, 09:51 AM
it is my own opinion and i am not starting a flame war here or something

but i won't buy anything intel based from now on

nf4
11-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Yeah I don't like intel at all. The apple cpu's are great I don't know why they would swich. But I do think that I should be able to buy a dfi lanparty G5 now that would be sweet. Like if it was apple/intel/amd all competeing. All equaly supporting everything. OsX will come around once more and more poeple relize how good it is.

MaxxxRacer
11-26-2005, 03:47 AM
If it wasnt for AMD's crappy marketing and Intels excelent marketing, Macs would be running on AMD/nVidia hardware in the comming years.. but alas that is not the case.

Frisch
11-26-2005, 04:45 AM
If it wasnt for AMD's crappy marketing and Intels excelent marketing, Macs would be running on AMD/nVidia hardware in the comming years.. but alas that is not the case.
Good marketing owns, there's nothing like meeting someone you think you know, it makes you feel safe and in good hands, and that's the gimmick of all good marketing, making you feel at home, when you don't know anything about the product.

Tilmitt
11-26-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm a current Mac user but I won't ever buy an Intel one cause x86 is ugly and I hate it!!!

ghost_03
11-29-2005, 12:52 PM
personally i was going to see if i could get an apple "logic board" (not sure why they can't call them mobos like everyone else?) on ebay and use the rest of my components. don't feel like dishing out 2k for a powermac but personally cannot stand windows+microsoft.

OpTiX
11-29-2005, 11:39 PM
Yeah I don't like intel at all. The apple cpu's are great I don't know why they would swich. But I do think that I should be able to buy a dfi lanparty G5 now that would be sweet. Like if it was apple/intel/amd all competeing. All equaly supporting everything. OsX will come around once more and more poeple relize how good it is.

that would be cool i'd buy one too.

Grave
12-03-2005, 06:05 AM
:slap:

perry_78
12-03-2005, 06:22 AM
Apple going Intel is an interesting choice from an economics point of view: With Intel being dominant both on PC and MAC, the venture between intel and apple can effectively counter Microsofts monopoly on the computer market.

Interesting choice really, though I hope it doesnt backfire. Either way, Apple will always have good products, Yonah has proved itself, so no bad decision in regards to their mobile line up.

The desktop though :shrug:

the_new_guy
12-03-2005, 07:59 AM
apple went with Intel coz intel has a More production capacity, the reason apple left IBM and/or Freescale is production issues and high wattage(G5's).
intel being the dominant CPU manufacturer is less likely to has capacity issues, and the Intel run cooler than the AMD,

perry_78
12-03-2005, 11:12 AM
apple went with Intel coz intel has a More production capacity, the reason apple left IBM and/or Freescale is production issues and high wattage(G5's).
intel being the dominant CPU manufacturer is less likely to has capacity issues, and the Intel run cooler than the AMD,

The mobile do. I see the point with mobile processors, but desktop wise I think Apple may be in some trouble...

DevanG
12-13-2005, 10:56 PM
Desktop wise maybe at first.

But by the time Apple starts to dish out their new systems - I am talking exclusively Intel based systems, Intel will have switched completely to the new architecture that is not NetBurst based - Merom/Conroe/Woodcrest/Clovertown (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050823-5232.html).

PS: No, I wouldn't buy a Mac. I have nothing to use it for and if I want to give BSD a chance, I would go for a FreeBSD/OpenBSD. Buying a Mac just to try out BSD seems like a very good way to lose money.

sky
12-14-2005, 05:37 AM
well, to reanimate this one. i have been thinking about it. i guess i will not
buy a separate mac-pc (or something), but i would rather buy mac osx if
it will ever be openly sold for pc users.

btw antipop. switch to a dothan based pc. small & quiet and fast :D

Andrew LB
12-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Apple going Intel is an interesting choice from an economics point of view: With Intel being dominant both on PC and MAC, the venture between intel and apple can effectively counter Microsofts monopoly on the computer market.

Interesting choice really, though I hope it doesnt backfire. Either way, Apple will always have good products, Yonah has proved itself, so no bad decision in regards to their mobile line up.

The desktop though :shrug:

Last I heard, AMD beat out Intel in desktop CPU sales this past quarter (and i think a little longer than that)

I recently built a high end Intel rig for a guy (I build almost exclusively AMD based systems) with a 3.4ghz prescott processor and i can say that it ran much hotter than any comparable AMD chip i've put in systems.

I will say though that Intel does have superior chipsets available for their processors though.

[XC] mysticmerlin
12-21-2005, 09:43 AM
I don't use an Apple system not because it's not made by Intel. I don't use it because it's not really an open platform.

If they released one version of a computer every 5 years or so I would probably use one because it's like a console.

It is not open so Bill can't mess it up for them! :fight: LOL. But I am exact opposite as I only upgrade my PC when it is time for a new game that I can't play with the current parts I have. :slash:
On the other hand I voted no because I got the v1 G5 iMac and wish I waited till the bugs were worked out and kept my PowerMac G4 a while longer. But for the internet you can't beat a Mac. Games on the other hand I will not wait over a year to play a "new" game.

perry_78
12-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Last I heard, AMD beat out Intel in desktop CPU sales this past quarter (and i think a little longer than that)

Desktop AFTERMARKET, this is not including the OEMS ;) Aftermarket is merely a small fraction of the total CPU sales :)

OmegaMerc
12-29-2005, 08:15 PM
No, there is something about building your own, installing the os, etc etc that gives a self pride of acomplishment and what not, being sole maker and no aftermarket for Apple, I see no future with this one.

zeebs
01-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Wouldn't buy one since I just got a PBG4 last year, and tend to squeeze 5+ years out of my Macintosh machines since they are so high priced. Maybe by then they will get a better chip partner :P

ReD.SkY
01-13-2006, 08:20 PM
i will totally try out, only if i can dual boot though, i enjoy a crash-free computing experience, as for intel, i can live without

Tonucci
01-13-2006, 08:39 PM
its not crash free :stick:

Andrew LB
01-13-2006, 09:56 PM

^^^ :fact:

I've seen crashes on G3's, G4's, and new G5's.... regardless of the Mac OS they were running.

The only time my PC crashes is when i push its memory/cpu/bus/htt beyond its capabilities.

Oh... and when I messed around with cutting back on too many processes.

antipop
01-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Nothing is crash free but i have a PB as a main machine and i've using it for the last 10 months and it only crashed twice! That's less than my pc in a month. Plus i don't have to worry about spyware and virus.
I've never had (or did) reinstall the OS and i only reboot it once or twice a month (mostly because i have to). IMO they make great machine and i'm very happy with mine.
However bear in mind that the new one are RevA and you're not free of the default that always plague a first serie. I'm waiting for Rev B to change mine.

Tonucci
01-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Yeah i agree that macs may give less headache, i was just pointing that its not problem free. If i was not a gamer i would probably choose an mac over a PC.

Arkangyl
01-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Just to comment on the whole chip sales bit, if the rumors are true and Dell starts making AMD based rigs then I think it's safe to say AMD will be getting a fairly larger share of the market. IMO AMD also needs to advertise more, whilst not appealing to most of us, Intel's marketing group does have an effect on about 70% of Computer users.

And pending what's needed for college thost MacBook Pros honestly look rather nice...

[XC] mysticmerlin
01-28-2006, 09:22 PM
I did ! Beta tester I am. I bought the 1st gen iMac Lcd 2 weeks after it came out and now got a new one. What the heck. It's only money right? LOL