PDA

View Full Version : How to make a Vcore and Vmem Mod @ ABIT NF7-S???

[TS]T㣣ã 2XLC
01-07-2003, 06:03 AM
hi everybody!

in about 2 weeks i'm getting my new ABIT NF7-S and now i want to know how to make a Vcore & Vmem mod!
which resistance do i need for the vcore mod if i want to get a little bit over 2.00v? can anyone post pictures where to solder the resistances for Vcore and Vmem mod? which resistance do i need to get more than 3.00v Vmem?

thanxx a lot, guys! ;)

IamAnoobieCheez
01-07-2003, 09:19 AM
i'm afraid nobody has figured out how to volt mod NF7 yet...

MrIcee
01-07-2003, 11:07 AM
The Vcore mod is the same as the KR7A,KX7,KD7 boards, it's pin 7 of the Hip voltage regulator as outlined in my voltage mod guide. That will yield you 2v, but because this Hip regulator is a tad different, we have not come up with a way to overcome the OVP to obtain higher than 2v Vcore.

The Vmem mod is not for the faint of heart. It involves desoldering pin 19 of the Winbond W3330 voltage regulator, soldering a fixed resistor between the desoldered pin and the solder pad it was soldered to, and installing a 50K Ohm Ohm VR to adjust voltage.Because of the proximity of a capacitor and the 3rd dimm slot so close to it..it is a VERY difficult mod.

OPPAINTER just had XtremeTekWerks perform it for him, and he now has 3.12v tops for his memory.:)

I am currently working on a much easier Vmem and Vdd mod that uses external voltage regulation feeding the output side of the Vmem and Vdd mosfets....taking 3.3v feed and regulating it down to the desired levels. If I get it working successfully I'll post it up on the website:)

Randi:D

Ace-a-Rue
01-10-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by MrIcee
OPPAINTER just had XtremeTekWerks perform it for him, and he now has 3.12v tops for his memory.:)

I am currently working on a much easier Vmem and Vdd mod that uses external voltage regulation feeding the output side of the Vmem and Vdd mosfets....taking 3.3v feed and regulating it down to the desired levels. If I get it working successfully I'll post it up on the website:)

Randi:D

MrIcee, you challenge every facet of a m/b to put up or shut up!:D I'll be anxiously awaiting to hear your results....Good luck! Ace:)

heilmery
01-20-2003, 10:04 AM
So just for clarification where is the vcore chip on the abit nf7-s. Is it in between the ps2 ports and the socket????

Barracuda
01-22-2003, 03:02 PM
plz send a photo of this mods

Drozdov
01-30-2003, 11:39 AM
exactly where is this chip?

heilmery
01-30-2003, 07:56 PM
It is right next to the fan header for the cpu fan. same chip as all other abit amd mobos. Right between the ps2 and cpu fan header

gokickrocks
01-30-2003, 11:26 PM
the vmem is right next to the dimm slot in between a few caps, in fact, just imagine the worst place you would consider putting a voltage regulator...look at the left dimm slot and if you look at whats next to it (almost touching the dimm slot), it is the winbond chip

SKYNET
02-04-2003, 01:45 AM
pics from v-core / v-mem mod ?`:confused:

schrickvr6
02-04-2003, 12:43 PM
so all i need to do for a vcore on a nf7-s is ground pin 7?which side is pin 7 on,the ps2 sde or fan header?

schrickvr6
02-04-2003, 01:20 PM
ok i need a vr as well but which pin is pin seven?

gokickrocks
02-04-2003, 04:24 PM
for the hip6301cb on the nf7s, it goes like this...
_
______
11 10
12 9
13 8
14 7
15 6
16 5
17 4
18 3
19 2
20 1
----^---- <---indentation

eclypse
02-06-2003, 04:11 PM
How about the pin layout on the vmem chip?

gokickrocks
02-06-2003, 04:38 PM
winbond w83301r vmem voltage regulator

20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

the indentation is on the bottom left corner

eclypse
02-06-2003, 04:52 PM
Damn nice there gokickrocks! Fast too!.. :)

Now have you done these before or have any info cause i'm about to try them out... well maybe the vdimm as well.. Just need to know what VR and or fixed resistor to add..

Damn i asked the guy at Radio Shack what to cut a pin with and he didnt have one in stock but he called it like Nippy "Something" Cutter.. Damn forgot the name..

I have a pack of 100 different resistors and 2 VRs 1k and a 10k.

gokickrocks
02-06-2003, 05:04 PM
look at pin19 on the diagram, thats the pin you need to cut....attach 100ohm pot with 10ohm resistor (the big gray circle is a ground)

http://membres.lycos.fr/djangolefous69/vmod-chip2.jpg

eclypse
02-06-2003, 05:14 PM
WOW thanks! Now damn, where were ya a week ago heheh.

ok now dont look too tough to do... Only prob is that the smallest pot i have is a 1k adjustable.. All they had at the store was 2 kinds, 1 1k and a 10k.. Bought up both.

Could i just add a fixed resistor to it insted like a 100 ohm one or smaller?

eclypse
02-07-2003, 04:55 AM
Welp i tried only the vcore mod. Well actually just try to get more by using the Vrs..

No good..

The computer wouldnt boot period with the 1k VR on the 10th pin. I kept turning it a little bit, power on nothing..over and over again till i got sick of trying.. I started with it at what i thought was 50k if my mult was reading it right..

So i completely removed anything from the 10th pin.. moved on to the 7th pin that had the 47k resistor already on there that gave me 1.90v total.

I used tons of differenet combinations of resistors.. I knew from a past attempt that using a 22k on the 7th pin would only boot once into bios. It would give me the most voltage at 1.92 total. So i went off of that and started at 15k-20k-23.3k-30k.. everything would give me less voltage which was strange.. Obviously the damn OVP was kickin in or something..Last thing i tried was the 15k VR.

I dialed it in at 30k thinking that it should let me bootup once atleast.. Well.. nothing.. So i turned it so it would give me more voltage and nothing.. Turned it some more and i finally booted up with a Vr on there! I was excited cause i knew i could finally do some live voltage adjusting and maybe get me my 2.0v. So i started raising it and it was'nt moving.. ALl it would do is flucuate from 1.89-1.90 or 1.90-1.92v. Looks like the OVP is at 1.90 on this chip.

I'd might try the Vmod later on if i get the nerve to try it.. but at the same time i'm thinkin only about trying to return this board and just get the damn Epox so i could get all the voltage i want and the vdd mod is easy. Either that or return it and try to get my money back from newegg even though they said you cant return the board for refund.. Though i could always just return for RMA when they do come out with the v1.2 board.

Hopefully Mr.Icee is still alive and finally reveals is super mods for this board that will fix the prob with the damn OVP.

eclypse
02-11-2003, 09:21 AM
Welp to make a long story short i did it! It worked after i finally added the right resistor to the 19th pin. I had a 10 and 100 ohm resistor on there and i got a max vdimm of 2.99v! Which is perfect!

only prob is that with all the messing around i did to get it working by changing resistors without glueing the damn wire down i had on the weak pin the pin broke off. :rolleyes: :mad: :(

Anyhoo.. I'll be tryin to RMA and get a new one ASAP.. And yeah.. I'll do the mod again hehe.. This time the right way!

Oh tools of the trade.. I used a super sharp tipped soldering gun.. Filed that baby till she looked like a pencil tip. Then i made a nice hook to pull the pin out when i hit it with the gun.. I took a nice meduim sized sewing pin and bent the tip with a pliers.. Then i had to file down the sides on the hook part so it would fit in between the pins.. Made sure the bend part wasnt too long so it would only pull on the pin i wanted it to and not the one next to it as well..

if your going to do this mod make sure to be as gentle as possable with the pin.. only bend it once.. Meaning when you unsolder it lift it up into the possition ya want it in hgih enough away from the pad so you can get a wire on the pad and on the pin without them touching and leave it be.. If you go moving that pin around one too many times it will come off.. oh and do with i should of done.. Glue that wire down to the board after soldering it to the pin so ya dont wiggle that pin loose moving the wire around making the other solering.

Should all be good after taking your itme.. Its pretty easy and was a real rush.. since i'm still an amature solderer.hehehe

Practicing on an old dead motherboard is a good idea and is what i did to figure out what methed worked best.. Cuting the bridge with a razor is a no no and poping it out wtih a pin is no good either cause it takes the pad and or trace with it.

vince999
02-20-2003, 11:54 AM
i tried the v core mod, pin grabber, vr, and earthed it to the case, couldn't get any higher than 1.75v still, is this due to the t bred b being @ 1.6v and cutting out when it gets to 1.75v.
i set the v-core @ 1.85v in soft menu but it still only reads about 1.78v in the health screen, (thats without the mod on)
and ideas why this is?

eclypse
02-20-2003, 12:13 PM
I dont know.. i've noticed if ya try too high of vcore the system wont reboot till ya either reset the CMOS jumper or undo the mod.

I dont know what kind of ohm vr your using but ya can just try either a 30k resistor or somewhere inbetween 28.5k-30k.. I could only get the system to boot at 2.03v anything higher it wouldnt boot.. I had it to 2.06 with a vr but it wouldnt boot.

The last board i had was a dud.. Damn thing wasnt stable at any FSB even using the default for the CPU didnt matter.. so soon i'm gona try a third board once newegg gets a 1.2 in.

Oh.. the first board i had seemed to only do 1.90v.. ofcourse i didnt play with it much.

And yes all the boards are the same, ya pick 1.85 and ya only get 1.78v-1.8...

vince999
02-20-2003, 12:52 PM
looks like a 47k vr. worked ok on my kx7-333, seems funny that i can't get it over 1.85v even. well not even 1.75v.
fsb is ok, can run 203 fsb fine
so trying the v core at 1.7v in bios then upping it won't make much difference then,