PDA

View Full Version : Why a slow shutdown

jaawood
01-06-2003, 08:31 PM
Recently my computer started shuting down really slow...I mean reeeeaaaallllllyyyy ssslloooowww. Anybody got any ideas on why it might be doing that. I runnin win2k pro.

Thanks

JBELL
01-06-2003, 11:25 PM
hit ctrl+alt+del look at your task manager then click over to ''processes'' - see what is using your cpu.

jaawood
01-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Only the system idle process moves at all. There is no other activity other than that. Could something I have installed cause windows to glich a little?

jaslee
01-07-2003, 05:54 PM
I have had a slow shutdown only a few times, but from what I remember it was mostly when I had installed a program or changed configurations. Are any of the programs you're using changing the registry at all? Every time win2k shuts down it also saves any changes you've made in your profile including desktop preferences, startup programs, or anything of that sort. How much ram do you have and what do you have under the case? Do you close all of your applications before you shut down? If so, it could be a ghost process like a virus scanner thats slow shutting down and therefore keeping your computer from shutting down.

Tweaked!
01-07-2003, 06:09 PM
Try downloading and running this little handy proggie: Regclean (http://download.com.com/3000-2094-881470.html?tag=lst-0-1). Might help, might not.:cool:

jaawood
01-07-2003, 11:37 PM
I don't think any programs are modifying the registry, but Ill try Tweaked!'s little program. I got 1024 mb PC133 and a Northy P4 2.0A. It's never done this to me, always fast startup and shutdown. I always close everything, to avoid screwing anything up, and I haven't done any weird shutdowns lately.

Thanks guys

jaawood
01-08-2003, 11:00 PM
Ran the registry cleaner, and it gave me an error during the 'loading type library identifiers' it always errors. Is there anything I can do if I run regedit to fix this problem?