PDA

View Full Version : Sony released a 350$ portable and still can't get the speakers right

craig588
10-13-2005, 12:49 PM
I plugged in some cheap headphones in my PSP, these things were nothing close to high end, brand new they were only around 90$ and the sound experiance I got from it changed drastically. I thought developers were just encoding sounds very poorly because they have only been working on the system for almost a year, but no, the sounds are perfectly encoded, the crappy speakers just distort them to unrecogniseable levels.

They make people pay 350$ (Well, not me, I picked it and a DS up for 75$, if I waited another week I could have got that DS for 35$, but it's not that important) for a system with 20 cent speakers. They also outsourced the screens out to the lowest bidder, they used the same old MIPS archetechture they have been using senice the PSX, and they decided to use a reletivly low density battery. What exacly is the 350$ going to? It sure isn't R&D.

It fills in my need for a high performance portable game system that I can program on, so I like it, I just don't understand how Sony came up with such a pricing scheme. What do they think they need the 350$ for? There isn't any spectacular technical acheivement going on.

Disposibleteen
10-13-2005, 03:25 PM
I dont think they have ever charged $350 for the psp, i have only seen the price at $250.

einCe
10-13-2005, 05:37 PM
agreed max was 250 for the value pack and 200 for just the psp.

Disposibleteen
10-13-2005, 05:49 PM
I would also like to add that what can you expect from speakers that are no larger than a quarter?

einCe
10-14-2005, 08:46 AM
EXACTLY i mean...ipods dont have speakers do they? plus if i turn the volume all the way up its plenty loud enough for me to hear on the bus when its in my pocket.

craig588
10-14-2005, 09:46 AM
I would also like to add that what can you expect from speakers that are no larger than a quarter?

Those cheap portable headphones I plugged into it are smaller than a quarter.

I thought it was 350$ when it came out. Maybe import agencies were just adding many fees.

Disposibleteen
10-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Those cheap portable headphones I plugged into it are smaller than a quarter.

I thought it was 350$ when it came out. Maybe import agencies were just adding many fees.
yes but those are earbud headphones that are calibrated for listening at close proximity. The PSP speakers are not calibrated for such listening.

craig588
10-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Earbuds are some of the crappiest headphones out there, they probably have the same quality as the PSP speakers.

I was using Koss somethings (I forgot the model and they just say Koss on them) they are little portable headphones, not home listening ones.