PDA

View Full Version : Why arn't dual rail PSUs bridged internally?

craig588
10-12-2005, 12:18 PM
All of this stuff with multiple rails is pointless, a single high current source is always better than 4 low current sources. If I wanted 4 rails I would have bought 4 300 watt PSUs.

Why not bridge the rails? What if I was to connect them with some 6 gauge wire right on the PCB points? (I happened to pick up 1000FT of 6 gauge wire for free, that's why you see me using it alot recently)

I don't have any multi rail PSUs so I can't try this right now, but it sounds interesting.

Mr. Tinker
10-12-2005, 01:21 PM
I always forget, should you bridge in series or parallel to keep volts?

alexio
10-12-2005, 01:24 PM
In parallel ;)

The problem when connecting rails could be that one has a slightly higher voltage than the other which can result in it charging the -wire from the other rail if I am correct. Don't think this will be a big issue however because they should be virtually equal.

Dave in Daytona
10-12-2005, 02:49 PM
All of this stuff with multiple rails is pointless, a single high current source is always better than 4 low current sources. If I wanted 4 rails I would have bought 4 300 watt PSUs.

Why not bridge the rails? What if I was to connect them with some 6 gauge wire right on the PCB points? (I happened to pick up 1000FT of 6 gauge wire for free, that's why you see me using it alot recently)

I don't have any multi rail PSUs so I can't try this right now, but it sounds interesting.Specs:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60568

http://www.ssiforum.org/Power%20Supplies/EPS12V_Spec%202_1.pdf

That's why. :stick:

Mr. Tinker
10-12-2005, 04:42 PM
the man hath spoken.

craig588
10-14-2005, 10:24 AM
I don't have a PDF viewer or a membership to EOCF.

Just post the details here.

Dave in Daytona
10-14-2005, 11:15 AM
I don't have a PDF viewer or a membership to EOCF.

Just post the details here.Download Adobe PDF viewer here: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

EOCF does not require membership to view content.

I don't think that XS would like a 90-page post! :slap:

Dave

craig588
10-14-2005, 12:30 PM
EOCF does, and I need something better than Adobes viewer, it's too poorly coded.

You could, on the other hand, give a reason rather than ambiguous links.

Dave in Daytona
10-14-2005, 12:54 PM
If XS agrees, I will post the complete engineering specs for ATX12V2.xx PSU's,
but the post will likely be over 100 pages! :slapass:

Question for Admin/mods. Do you want this post? :confused:

Micutzu
10-14-2005, 01:04 PM
I don't know what exactly is your argument (and i'm not entirely sure that you do either, just linking to some specs doesn't prove anything), but all ATX PSU's use Shottky diodes on the outputs, so there will be no current flowing from one rail to the other, whatever the voltage is on each. The only problem will be the load balancing, as the currents drawn from each rail by one common consumer will probably not be equal all the time and one rail might "work" harder.

craig588
10-14-2005, 06:36 PM
I am very familiar with the ATX specs. I want to know why it's like that. I'm guessing based on Micutzus post that that's all you're doing is linking to them.

Load balencing is easy with 6 gauge wire when the rest of the system is using no lower than 14.