PDA

View Full Version : NEW IDEA FOR DI/LN2 Condensation safety!

max_Jaker
10-11-2005, 06:39 PM
ok im reluctant to share this idea because im sure someone may have done this and if not im sure someone else may claim credit for it but i got to tell my idea and hear if it will work.

ok imagine this
your mobo is covered in mineral oil but in a tub but the tub is as tall as your ln2 cooler

make your insulation watertight put a tray around the top so that any condensation is caught in the tray which should be mounted lower than the oil but not let oil in and made of plastic this way its sitting in the oil and no condensation can get underneath it into the oil.

then mount the ln2 cooler onto the chip and drop it into the oil have the oil go within an inch of the top of the cooler and just touching the bottom of the tray
with no air around the cooler there should be no condensation to ruin your cpu/board you may lose a few degerees of cooling doing this but.
im sure if you dont like replacing things all the time then its worth it

let me know what you guys think of this idea

Ugly n Grey
10-11-2005, 06:46 PM
There are various dielectric fluids in use for this, a cheap one is corn oil, mineral oil has been used for this as well. Proper fluids can be expensive, but they are available. Charlie has done it I believe here on the board.

IYP
10-11-2005, 07:10 PM
yeah thats been done before, its not all to useful....alot of mess....its better just to insulate well

afireinside
10-11-2005, 07:57 PM
nail polish + foam = 100% safe if you use half a brain.