PDA

View Full Version : how can i compare the performance of a g5 to a intel system

leejsmith
10-11-2005, 04:33 AM
I have a dual 2ghz g5 system that is having a studio quality device installed.
before it goes out i would like to test it's performance againts dual xeon and dual core p4 systems we have.
What tests could i do that would offer a true comparision of the 2 systems.
I can do an audio tests using cubase with a special track that has many effects and virtual instruments.
This will show the peformance of both mac and intel systems across platforms.

Mr. Tinker
10-11-2005, 05:00 AM
What sort of work do you focus on? Maybe myself or others can suggest cross-platform benchmark from there.

Don't trust Apple's comparisons. They like to call single benchmarks "video editing," but in reality they're using two different apps.

leejsmith
10-11-2005, 05:16 AM
I build pc's for use in music producton but we sell the odd mac mainly dual g5's.
as i added above we have a music test track for use in cubase sl/sx and this will show performance based on a large number of effects and vsti's. While the track is playing you can show a performance meter for cpu and disk use.
the software is also multi threaded.

JAWS
10-11-2005, 07:18 PM
you can try Xbench. it's like a pcmark test for mac. if you do, (or already have) can you post the results.

thanks

ShawnMcGrail
10-14-2005, 05:56 PM
i highly doubt the intel would be able to match that, apple systems are much more suited for editing stuff

Vapor
10-14-2005, 06:26 PM
If you want to directly compare with the apps you use....use them on both and find a stopwatch with buttons that don't stick.