PDA

View Full Version : Intrestring PCmark05 results.

{PMS}fishy
10-10-2005, 08:53 PM
This link is manily activte so that people can see what can be done with PCmark05.

I will be writting an email to futuremark tommorrow to see what can be done about this 'work around'

If you look at the compare link you will see what I'm talking about --> http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm05=129735

By loading the application into RAM, you can get some serious score tweaks. It also shows how much the HDD tests count, which in my opinion is way too much. I know its all about pushing you system to the limit, but by using RAM drives, either i-RAM or software based, you can really cheat your way around in PCmark.

I hope Futuremark can come out with some change to try and reduce this, or eliminate it. Otherwise all the top scores are going to be with some type of ram drive, and we will be seeing slow machines up at the top of the orb, just due to the HDD test. Heck I was able to break 12k points with a 560 @ 4.2ghz.

Anyways, post comments, I want to see what everyone else thinks.

IvanAndreevich
10-10-2005, 10:19 PM
I remember reading about the RAM drive cheats in PCMark a while ago.

Vapor
10-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Yes, that would be loaded into RAM...it's quite easy to do and does bring realworld benefits (not to THIS degree) and FM does not allow it. :nono:

I have first-hand experience with having my scores taken down--unfortunately my RAMdrive software wasn't that fast and my score was at a 'mere' 11k.

Give them a few days--it'll be taken down if the RAM drive is SW based (like yours), if it's HW, it will be left up there as it's still a bootable HDD and fair game according to them.

Thorry
10-11-2005, 03:31 AM
Well I haven't put much faith into PCmark since the ghz bug.

At one point people overclocked past the overflow of the mhz counter in Windows so it read something like 300 mhz. To everyone surprise PCMark then gave very very low results (in points, the tests themselves ran just as fast as normal) whilst other benchmarks still were running fast as hell.

It seemed like PCMark just did benchresult * mhz to give P4s a advantage.

So PCMark is just plain evil to me.

See also: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14149

{PMS}fishy
10-11-2005, 06:52 AM
So they know about it, and just aren't doing anything?

I'm just going to pull the link than. That sucks Futuremark, I wish they would get their act together.

EDIT: Actually looks like they pulled it sometime between 2am and 7am EST. Pretty good work on their part, now if they could just make it so people can't upload them.

Looks like Ill have to sit in 5th place untill I can get an i-RAM or 4 ;)

Vapor
10-11-2005, 06:54 AM
They moderate slowly....

How would they prevent people from uploading? "Score too good" error?

{PMS}fishy
10-11-2005, 07:32 AM
They moderate slowly....

How would they prevent people from uploading? "Score too good" error?

Im sure they could reference the HDD scores, as we know with out the application loaded into RAM, its impossible at this point to get 1500mb/s.