PDA

View Full Version : Audiobahn Subs

Jrocket
10-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Im running two 12" p. millers right now, and im planning on doing a huge upgrade soon. I have been told by many to go with alpine, infinity, JL or Rockford Fosgate because of quality. I have been told that audiobahn will be loud but provide bad quality. Honestly, Im not that picky when it comes to quality, but it is still important. I have thought about getting an alpine type x, or an audiobahn eternal or immortal series sub. Will the high end audiobahns have decent quality? Anyone whos owned an audiobahn sub please post!
Thanks in advance!

Rukee
10-06-2005, 03:17 PM
whenever I think of loud stereos this video (http://www.collegehumor.com/movies/158135/) always comes to mind.

zabomb4163
10-06-2005, 03:37 PM
JL - overpriced because of brand recognition
RF - for SPL not sound quality
Infinity - good quality, but overpriced

try looking at adire audio and dayton audio.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-466

how much $ are you looking to spend
what type of alignment will you be using
what are the size constraints of the enclosure

bullet2urbrain
10-06-2005, 05:56 PM
i respectfully disagree with the above post.

JL = overpriced but has been the leader in COMMERCIAL sales and quality

RF = best buy brand .. stear clear

Infinity = good midrange sub but not for enthusiasts (may suit your need)

Audiobahn = your friends were right they are loud as hell but sloppy. no real SQ unless you are a very skilled box builder with lots of time and research.

Other brands : Adire,Resonant Engineering,Kicker,Image Dynamics.

my suggestion would be 2 x 12" Alpine Type R and ~ 1000 W Mono amp 1ohm stable.

or i would suggest 2 Kicker CVR 12"s in a nice sealed box.

(i sport 1 12" JL W7 so there is fan-boyism, however i have won sound competitions with it and have had it mic'd as loud as 4 Kicker 12"s)

i'm also MECP certified.

Jrocket
10-06-2005, 06:16 PM
my suggestion would be 2 x 12" Alpine Type R and ~ 1000 W Mono amp 1ohm stable.

Do you mean get 2 dual 4 ohm voice coil type Rs and wire them to 1 ohm, or get 2 dual 2 ohm type rs and run two channels (one to each one) at 1 ohm. Because I have heard that running at 1 ohm will degrade the sound quality greatly, is this only true when running 4 ohm coils at 1, 2 ohm coils at, or not true at all?
Also, what type of kickers?L7s?
Thanks

Jrocket
10-06-2005, 06:19 PM
JL - overpriced because of brand recognition
RF - for SPL not sound quality
Infinity - good quality, but overpriced

try looking at adire audio and dayton audio.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-466

how much $ are you looking to spend
what type of alignment will you be using
what are the size constraints of the enclosure

Well, if I take the plunge, I will probably spend about 800 for the sub, enclosure, and amp together. I am planning on going with either 1 12" or 1 15".

bullet2urbrain
10-06-2005, 06:30 PM
i would suggest 2 x Type R.. each one being dual 4ohm .. then wire them in parallel...to 1ohm.

and the sound quality will not degrade.. it is just dependant on the amp.. so long as its one ohm stable.. you will also want to thoroughly research the enclosure.

Jrocket
10-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Thank you very much! That is some great info to know. I would like to get a fiberglass enclousure made, but I dont think that I would be able to make a good one, and to have the made is expensive. So I may just go with a sealed box that fits the specs.

Welz
10-06-2005, 07:08 PM
sounds loud, and fast :toast:

Jrocket
10-06-2005, 07:10 PM
One last question, or I should say two. Will a Hifonics amp give me ok quality, or do I need to go with alpine, pheonix gold, or ma etc.? Also, will an amp that outputs 1000w rms x1 @ 1ohm with 2000w peak be able to work with a 4 gauge amp kit, or will I need to get a 2 or 0 gauge amp kit with a capacitor?
Thanks again

bullet2urbrain
10-06-2005, 08:31 PM
ignore capacitors.. they are no good.. they are just a bandaid for a failing charging system on a car.

HiFonics were great amps back in the day.. i dont know specific models on hifonics..

i love the Memphis Audio (MA) amps.. their 1000D amp was my favorite amp for a brief while.. however i think you will be fine with 4awg wire. 2 wouldnt hurt but the amp may not have terminals for it.

also.. CVR's by Kicker are round not square.. i dont particularly like square subs.. they hit hard and are loud.. but require lots of volume and irregular box shapes..

fibreglass would be great if your going to have a shop do it.. building a sealed box of 3/4inch MDF (medium density fiberboard) would work..just as welll but wouldnt be as "professional" of a look.

and again

DO NOT get a capacitor.

mikenam
10-06-2005, 09:33 PM
yeah adire audio is really good. I hear they are some of the best subs in the market. Image dynamic should add to the list. JL is good. Get one w7 and you'll be set.

bullet2urbrain
10-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Image Dynamics.

(i sport 1 12" JL W7 so there is fan-boyism,

as you'll notice i said that already.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :toast: :toast:

justwOo
10-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Yeah definetly check out adire for best bang for the buck and some of the best sound quality out there
And Reasonant Engineering to be LOUD and DEEP D:

STEvil
10-06-2005, 10:52 PM
another vote for adire or resonant engineering.

zabomb4163
10-06-2005, 11:14 PM
I constructed the sub of all subs this week. Tomorrow when ill post pictures of it. my goal when constructing it was making (2) 13W7's cry.

i'll give you a hint (2) 4" ports was the absolute SMALLEST i could use.

justwOo
10-06-2005, 11:15 PM
It's not too hard to make a 13w7 beg for mercy ( I asumme you mean sub box)
4" port's are pretty much expected on a deep bass monster D:
Hope you bought flared?

STEvil
10-07-2005, 10:45 PM
MDF (medium density fiberboard) is many many times better than plywood for speaker box construstion!

stealth17
10-08-2005, 06:18 AM
ignore capacitors.. they are no good.. they are just a bandaid for a failing charging system on a car.

and again

DO NOT get a capacitor.

Wait, so never get a cap? I thought these amps pull so much you need one or it will kill the alternator? Should I run 2 batteries instead?

As for Infinity, their mids and highs are some of the best but their subs as someone mentioned arent the best for enthusiasts.

[XC] leviathan18
10-08-2005, 06:33 AM
what i read is the current in the battery is to slow to feed high end systems so a cap will help to keep it stable to feed the amps

why not go with a kicker amp??? they pretty good

[XC] leviathan18
10-08-2005, 06:47 AM
btw one question any good store to buy from internet (i know cardomain) but im looking other to compare prices...

bullet2urbrain
10-08-2005, 07:22 PM
umm i dont really know any online retailers other than ebay.. and Sound(d)omain

Kicker amps are good..yes.

Capacitors are not good!!!!!!!

here is why.

Batteries (as stated above) cannot provide the voltage fast enough for the amps.. however that is what a capacitor does.. it discharges ALOT faster than a standard lead-acid (gel cell) battery however.. whether your alternator has to recharge the capacitor or power the amp ultimately they are drawing equal or more current to do that which is killing your alternator.. basically if you see your headlights dimming or even to the extreme of your RPM's dropping (due to insufficient power to your coil packs) then your alternator is NOT strong enough.... yes a Capacitor will stop your lights from dimming but its ultimately pulling the same amount of current.

As for infinity. i put an infinity 10" in my girlfriends car and it does a very nice job in a rather small sealed enclosure. i have told you my suggestion already and im sticking to it.

2 x 12" Alpine Type R's and ~1000 Watt amp.

Cobain10
10-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Hi, i am about to order the Audiobahn Immortal, now i heard it was a very big sub so i was wondering if any of you guys knew if it would fit if i got a 2.5cu ft box. And i was wondering whats the smallest that it could fit in.

If anyone could help me, thank you
:banana:

bullet2urbrain
10-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Hi, i am about to order the Audiobahn Immortal, now i heard it was a very big sub so i was wondering if any of you guys knew if it would fit if i got a 2.5cu ft box. And i was wondering whats the smallest that it could fit in.

If anyone could help me, thank you
:banana:

care to link me to the manufacturer specs? and i will help from there.

Overgloc
10-26-2006, 05:19 PM
I have two of these and love them!!

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vDuOHh1GvdO/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=kicker+l7&i=2066S12L7