PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Build Opinions

jumanji969
10-04-2005, 03:37 PM
I pretty much know what I want to buy but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. Sometimes when I get excited with this computer stuff I miss something and it ends up more than expected. Basically I want a fairly fast computer, well, because I like to play with them :). I don't really game a lot but I do some slight HL2 and play CS on a regular basis. Anyway:

CPU: Opteron 144 socket 939 - ~$160
Motherboard: DFI Lanparty Ultra-D - ~$110
Video Card: 6600gt - ~$120

Now I currently have a Fortron 530w psu but it, as some know, is a 20pin psu. I know DFI boards need the 24pin and tech support is hard to come by with 20pin psus, but it will still work fine with the adapter correct?

Another question, do y'all think it's worth it to jump on the opteron bandwagon, or save ~$40-50 and stick with a decent clocking used venice?

Cooling will just be stock cooling until I get enough for a waterblock.

Ram used will be my current KHX3200 bh-5.

Serra
10-04-2005, 05:15 PM
As far as the PSU connector thing goes, I'd say that if you plan on doing a lot of high-level OCing you might want to consider getting a new PSU... but you should otherwise be fine. I have a friend who uses a converter and a very cheap PSU and is still able to work his rig just fine. Truth be told, his OC isn't even that bad... but he is still only working with stock cooling in a cheap case. It would probably matter more if he put a bit more effort into his system cooling-wise and tried for better. My reasoning would be that it would be an extra draw on what is still just a single 12v rail... but on balance I've heard that kind of PSU is pretty beefy with its 12v's. So I suppose I just wrote a paragraph for nothing, except maybe food for thought.

As far as the Opteron goes.. I say if you can afford it, then go for it. I base this purely on the fact that I like the word "Opteron".