PDA

View Full Version : How do I insulate an x800?

afireinside
10-02-2005, 11:18 AM
My tube has a flat copper base and theres not enough room between the base and the PCB to fit foam (armaflex or my other pipe wrap) so how am I going to seal it up? Right now its mounted with a small gap between the DI unit insulation and the pcb but the PCB is loaded with nailpolish and I'll cover the board with nail polish and foam and stuff paper towels all over to keep any water away from the PCIE slot and stuff... Will this work? Anyone have any tips from experience they can share?

harleybro
10-02-2005, 01:09 PM
On the X850 I had run for awhile I used like 1/8" insulation and cut a square in the center for the gpu. It and a piece of foam on the backside and nailpolish worked fine. :)

afireinside
10-02-2005, 01:51 PM
I stuffed all over with paper towels so I should be good... I'll find out if it works tomorrow/tuesday :D

G H Z
10-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Paper towels won't create an air seal which is what you want. Paper towels are good for catching condensation that has already formed outside your container from falling on you board. If you have some seal string you could use that to fill the gap or it sounds like you could use armafex to me. It compresses alot under pressure.

I know your not a fan of dialectric but if you ask me it's alot more important on a card slot than CPU. The slot connector is exposed and just above the brass traces is one of the first places ice forms. My backside insulation sits 1/4" away from the PCI-E slot when the card is installed.

Either way you'll figure it out.

afireinside
10-02-2005, 02:20 PM
I know its not air tight but it should absord any water right away... I refuse to use grease its to messy. The slot should be safe as well. Armaflex does not compress enough for me to make contact with the base.

G H Z
10-02-2005, 02:34 PM
You asked, I answered. Like I said you'll figure it out :D

afireinside
10-02-2005, 02:36 PM
I figured it out after posting :D

speed bump
10-03-2005, 03:43 PM
Grease is messy but electronics cleaner from radio shack makes mess go bye bye pretty easily.