PDA

View Full Version : &%$*#! Virus!!

Smizack
05-20-2002, 08:20 PM
So, I bring this computer home from work. And me wanting to prove to my boss that I'm really the technical genius he hopes I am, decided I'd volunteer to try and fix it.
Ok, Win98. I got no freakin idea what virus it has because after I get to the desktop and it starts loading everything, it freakin locks up. I can get into safe mode, but whoptie friggin do! that does nothing for me (no cd-rom support).
Sooo, any ideas before I look pathetic tomorrow?

Ps. I doooon't wanna format this thing.

Hardass
05-20-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Smizack
So, I bring this computer home from work. And me wanting to prove to my boss that I'm really the technical genius he hopes I am, decided I'd volunteer to try and fix it.
Ok, Win98. I got no freakin idea what virus it has because after I get to the desktop and it starts loading everything, it freakin locks up. I can get into safe mode, but whoptie friggin do! that does nothing for me (no cd-rom support).
Sooo, any ideas before I look pathetic tomorrow?

Ps. I doooon't wanna format this thing.

You can,t get norton antivirus to run and see if it can identify the virus or even quarintine it.

Smizack
05-20-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Hardass

You can,t get norton antivirus to run and see if it can identify the virus or even quarintine it.

I prolly could in Windows if it would finish booting. In safemode it says some files are missing.

I'd need a dos version, but even if I had one I'd have to be able to get online to d/l an update.

I think it's that Email worm that's been going around, but chances are very high that there are multiple virii on the system.

JBELL
05-20-2002, 08:28 PM
go to symantec's web site look up info there.

Hardass
05-20-2002, 08:30 PM
My opinion is, for what it is worth. The best tech around would have to format that sys.

JBELL
05-20-2002, 08:30 PM
My opinion is, for what it is worth. The best tech around would have to format that sys.

agreed

Smizack
05-20-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by JBell
go to symantec's web site look up info there.

Yeah, but look for what?? A virus? There are MILLIONS of email worms.

Put it this way. The guy has 4 kids. And an 80g hdd. And they d/l'ed like mad for at least a year with no antivirus.

Smizack
05-20-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by JBell

agreed

Damnit.
He's gonna be pissed. But that's what I'm thinking too.

Hey JAWS, any tips?;) :D

Hardass
05-20-2002, 08:35 PM

Put it this way. The guy has 4 kids. And an 80g hdd. And they d/l'ed like mad for at least a year with no antivirus.

They were asking for what they got. Tell them it,s gotta be redone.
Is this your new job.

Smizack
05-20-2002, 08:41 PM

They were asking for what they got. Tell them it,s gotta be redone.
Is this your new job.

Bah! It's easier to do it over the friggin phone!

I think I like learning Cisco better...:rolleyes:

Hardass
05-20-2002, 08:43 PM

Bah! It's easier to do it over the friggin phone!

I think I like learning Cisco better...:rolleyes:

Well I wish ya luck!

Smizack
05-20-2002, 08:48 PM

Well I wish ya luck!

Gracias. Even so teh new job ownz much azz compared to the old one. Hell for 6 hrs, I sat on my azz and entered mac addresses.
And didn't have to talk to 1 friggin' person! w00t!:D

JBELL
05-20-2002, 11:34 PM

LMFAO!!!

stompah
05-21-2002, 03:35 AM
get a spare HD and set it to master and set the infected one to slave and hope it doesnt load anything from the bad drive so you can run symantec off the good HD?

Smizack
05-21-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by stompah
get a spare HD and set it to master and set the infected one to slave and hope it doesnt load anything from the bad drive so you can run symantec off the good HD?

I think it's getting formatted tomorrow. I'mma try and reinstall Windows over the top first.

DaGooch
05-22-2002, 01:03 PM
If you can get the system to go online through your LAN, try House Call.

http://housecall.antivirus.com/

Smizack
05-23-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by DaGoochMeister
If you can get the system to go online through your LAN, try House Call.

http://housecall.antivirus.com/

I would have to install a nic first. And it kept locking up.
But I got it fixed without formatting, just had to kill a bunch of crap in the registry.

Attitudx
05-24-2002, 08:14 AM
YOu go I knew you had it in ya to fix it lol. I bet your new job kicks this ones azz have funn bubba. Hey I am buying a new system. amd socket a 950

Hardass
05-24-2002, 08:50 AM

I would have to install a nic first. And it kept locking up.
But I got it fixed without formatting, just had to kill a bunch of crap in the registry.

*Big Pat On Back* We all knew you would get the job done. Just didn,t now when!LOL:D

Smizack
05-24-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by chylde
YOu go I knew you had it in ya to fix it lol. I bet your new job kicks this ones ass have funn bubba. Hey I am buying a new system. amd socket a 950

Coo, where you getting it from?

And yeah, much better bro! Still havin' fun a CrapUserve?
Hey, since were on the topic, we may be running a fiber op line to Ponca and Tonkawa. If so, I'll need at least 3 more guys. So I'll put in a good word for ya. ;)

Smizack
05-24-2002, 01:56 PM

*Big Pat On Back* We all knew you would get the job done. Just didn,t now when!LOL:D

Hehe;)

But I'm stummped again. One of the bast comps got the w32.klez.h worm.
I thought it was gone, but when we connect and click on the virus I get an IPF in the Outlook prog. from a windows\system file.
Grrr!:mad:

Hardass
05-24-2002, 02:42 PM

Hehe;)

But I'm stummped again. One of the bast comps got the w32.klez.h worm.
I thought it was gone, but when we connect and click on the virus I get an IPF in the Outlook prog. from a windows\system file.
Grrr!:mad:

hmmm, *stupid look on face* ok whatever you said, just fix it!:D

Smizack
05-24-2002, 08:16 PM

hmmm, *stupid look on face* ok whatever you said, just fix it!:D

LOL!
Yeah, I never used the damn thing before and I'm suppost to fix it...:rolleyes:

Hardass
05-24-2002, 09:30 PM

LOL!
Yeah, I never used the damn thing before and I'm suppost to fix it...:rolleyes:

Why these things getting dumped on you.

Smizack
05-24-2002, 09:36 PM

Why these things getting dumped on you.

Cuz they have yet to set up a web-based email add. and they all use Outlook.
Normally, I send em' to Norton, but my boss hooked me up and I get $15-$20 per hr. moonlighting so I offered my services.... Damnit!:D

Hardass
05-24-2002, 09:39 PM

Cuz they have yet to set up a web-based email add. and they all use Outlook.
Normally, I send em' to Norton, but my boss hooked me up and I get $15-$20 per hr. moonlighting so I offered my services.... Damnit!:D

I see now. It all comes down to the almighty buck.:D

Smizack
05-24-2002, 09:44 PM

I see now. It all comes down to the almighty buck.:D

Yeah, but I put my nutz in a vice on this one!:D

Attitudx
05-31-2002, 05:12 AM
hahahaha nutz in a vice coolio. Hmm a good wordfor me coolio, that would work and crapuserve is just undieful hehe. just a quick question. Hercules KyroII prophet 64mg video or an at radeon 7500 64mb ddr evil master video card???? which is better??

Smizack
05-31-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by chylde
hahahaha nutz in a vice coolio. Hmm a good wordfor me coolio, that would work and crapuserve is just undieful hehe. just a quick question. Hercules KyroII prophet 64mg video or an at radeon 7500 64mb ddr evil master video card???? which is better??

Hercules hands down. Just make sure it's a KyroII. The KyroI sucked.

Attitudx
06-06-2002, 06:20 AM
gotta love the cable business, lol, damn found out what my vid card was and why alice wont play, it is only 4mb memory that SUCKS now i have to by two kyroII or the titanium one but that is like mega overtime money to get one of those