PDA

View Full Version : Buying an O-Scope. Need help.

stealth17
09-29-2005, 06:50 PM
I want to buy an o-scope. I see ebay is probly my best bet since I dont wanna break myself on a o-scope I'll only use a few times.

If someone could help me out that would be great. Just need something that works, DC, and is under like $150. I dont want some old peice of crap either.

Thanks,
-Jordan

craig588
09-29-2005, 07:22 PM
You are aware of how to use one, right? They normally arn't all easy and nice like EMCs one, he has an extremely high end one.

I would just get a Fluke 189 unless you have a specific use in mind that you need to keep secret because people around here can test stuff using their scopes.

stealth17
09-29-2005, 07:26 PM
You are aware of how to use one, right? They normally arn't all easy and nice like EMCs one, he has an extremely high end one.

I would just get a Fluke 189 unless you have a specific use in mind that you need to keep secret because people around here can test stuff using their scopes.

Im sure I can lear to use one. They cant be THAT hard.

As for the Fluke 189, read my post again. Needs to be like around $150 or less.

Major
09-29-2005, 08:14 PM
You can learn to use one pretty easily ;) they are not that complicated

But at $150 your not going to get much, you would be able to see how clean your PSU lines are with it but don't expect to be able to trouble shoot your mb with it.

stealth17
09-29-2005, 08:15 PM
You can learn to use one pretty easily ;) they are not that complicated

But at $150 your not going to get much, you would be able to see how clean your PSU lines are with it but don't expect to be able to trouble shoot your mb with it.

how much will I need to spend to get a half way decent one that I can see stuff like VTT fluct and stuff?

Major
09-29-2005, 08:56 PM
you should try to find a 100mhz scope if you can, but even a 50 mhz would be fine for checking your power lines.

Go for it ;) it will be $$ well invested

SoddemFX
09-30-2005, 04:15 AM
I've got a Tek 2225 (50MHz) and a cheap 35MHz one. The Tek can trigger fine at ~90MHz the cheap one can barely trigger at 35MHz. I think you can buy the Tek for about £120 S/H in the UK.

You should look at getting a good brand analogue dual channel scope with a bandwidth of 50MHz to 100MHz. As Major has said, it is a good investment and not too difficult to use. I highly reccomend any analogue Tek scope. A DSO is usefull, but maybe not worth the heavy investment until you have a greater purpose for it...

Tom