PDA

View Full Version : prime95 vs superpi

asianguy80
09-28-2005, 10:53 PM
I'm not sure where to put this thread so mods if this is in the wrong forum please move it to the approprite forums. tks.

On to the question. On this forum I see little to no users that use prime95 to test for stability is there a reason why? I think I read somewhere that prime95 isn't even that reliable so why do some people think it's the holy grail of testing stability? SuperPi OTOH is more reliable then prime95 i assume since more people are using it to test stability. For me after running prime95 and superpi i find that superpi is better and I prefer it because I'm not even sure if prime95 is doing it's job of "checking stability".

Thoughts or comments?

Major
09-28-2005, 10:57 PM
I use both ;) Spi32 is a tougher test to get stable than prime, I've found PCMark05 is a good system stablity test too.

CRUSH-ER
09-29-2005, 08:03 AM
Super PI is more stressful at finding errors FAST on a cpu. Prime is good for prolonged use and finding errors hours and hours later after being stressed. Just use both.

Hugo van Dijk
09-29-2005, 08:54 AM
Super PI is more stressful at finding errors FAST on a cpu. Prime is good for prolonged use and finding errors hours and hours later after being stressed. Just use both.

Well with my Sempron64 I can do 2784Mhz @ 165V SPI32 without errors (I did run it a few times just to be sure), after that I switched to prime and In only 1:30 minutes it found an error :( .

even pifast crashed at that speed while SPI32 worked great. :confused:

CRUSH-ER
09-29-2005, 09:01 AM
:confused: In my testing, it's SuperPI, and then Prime95 in order of finding errors fastest. But it's obviously dependant on many different things and how people set up the machine.

SoF
10-02-2005, 01:12 PM

prime is more for cpu, pi for all - that's what i experienced.
my coldbug winchester won't do Pi @2800MHZ but Prime @2960MHZ ^^
ok we're speaking of blend test here, everything else is just crap anyway...but I think most of users here aren't using prime because nobody needs stability here...Prime got no time, no comparison, so it's just boring. if Pi runs 32m you can game and work with this settings...I don't think a lot users here use their benching machines for every day use....so especially in this forum there is simply no need for prime because it's useless because of other programs testing stabiltity and benching at the same time - PI.

regards
SoF

ReelMonza
10-02-2005, 01:49 PM
S&M Long/Full load are good tests in my book