PDA

View Full Version : How Much Heat Can Heat Shrink Withstand?

Judaeus Apella
09-24-2005, 01:34 PM
(Please don’t move this, but if you must, please move it to an area with people who have experience working with projects consisting of electrical work.)

Some of you guys that do a lot of extreme modding, especially with electrical components, are usually good at fixing and repairing a lot of things around and outside the house. I was hoping you could help me figure out a problem I’m having with a home project?

I need to protect some wiring along the undercarriage of a riding lawnmower and around the engine, and I was thinking about using black heat shrink. Now this isn't a corvette, it’s just a two cylinder engine we just use one day a week, it’s not going to get as hot as a road vehicle and the heat shrink isn't going to be subjected to hours and hours of heat torture like the parts on a car can be. Taking this into account, I was hoping if anyone would know if heat shrink is ok to use.

Yes, I know of other available materials, but I've looked over many and I don't like anything I’ve seen. Rubber tape can't stand up to any heat, electrical tape is not weather resistant, liquid electrical tape is a mess, and that automotive electrical tubing is the problem that I'm correcting. That stuff has a slit all the way down, and this almost destroyed the existing wiring! When they designed this tractor, they obviously didn’t take into account that covering exterior wires with something that has openings along it, in a hazardous out door environment with wet grass, leaves, twigs, high volumes of dust, and the occasional rock flying in every direction at high speeds, ISN’T A GOOD IDEA! All the crap flying around underneath there occasionally finds its way inside the tubing and rots when it gets wet. It stinks to high heaven, invites insects, and started to dry out sections of the wiring. I treated those areas with some restorer and that seemed to work.

If anyone can offer me some information, I’d be grateful. Also, are there different brands of heat shrink in particular that would be the best choice? Something more durable? Also, is there heat shrink available for places where wires intersect or branch out?

I’d appreciate an answer to the first questions first, but what other choices do I have? Is there anything else I haven’t seen that can be used for this? Just so you guys know, I have heard that I can use just normal water or gas tubing, but that stuff is too thick, doesn’t flex as well, and too much a hassle to work with in areas where wires branch out or intersect.

RyderOCZ
09-24-2005, 04:45 PM
In My experience...any heatshrink that you find at a auto parts store or similar place will easy withstand 120-150 degree F temps.

We use heatshrink extensively in the race cars and we have no issues...temps get far greater than 150 in a couple places we use it :)

We do not buy anything special...just general heatshrink tubing from just about anywhere we can find it.

Hope that helps.

craig588
09-24-2005, 05:25 PM
It can handle over 200F but not 500F. That's as much testing as I've accidentally done.

Tulatin
09-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Would depend on the heatshrink i suppose, i mean i have hit 450 with a heatgun without it melting before, but when it does, watch out. I can see it working in your case though

Judaeus Apella
09-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Awsome! Thanks guys! What about places where wires branch out and intersect? Is there heat shink sold already formed for that?

RyderOCZ
09-25-2005, 06:06 AM
Not that I have seen....you will probably have to get creative there.

Ugly n Grey
09-25-2005, 06:12 AM
The heat shrink will take the temps you need, what it won't do is take the vibration of that riding lawn mower. It will wear through in no time anyplace there is a spot for it to move. That's why the plastic pipe shield is there.

You can buy standard automotive all weather RUBBER shielded wire that won't dry out and run it back through the conduit. Nothing hurts that stuff, it has a very, very thick insulator package.

Holst
09-25-2005, 06:49 AM
Heatshrink will be a bit better than the plastic insulation on your wires, but not allot better.

Get it hot enough and it will melt or burn up.

I think you will be safe as long as you stay away from the exhaust, get too close to that heat and it will melt. But I think it will be ok near the block of the engine.

Personally I would protect the wires with heatshrink (this will also keep them neat) then cover the loom with aluminium foil tape where its closest to the engine. The aluminium tape should reflect allot of the heat away and will withstand a much higher temperature.