PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions?

Serra
09-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Well, as those of you who read through the air-cooling thread may know, I'm looking at building a new case soon (where "soon" actually means completion is slated for late December)... but I don't want just a good case. If I wanted a 'good' case I'd just buy a stacker or armor case and leave it at that. Instead, I want a nearly perfect case, for my needs.

Anyway I've decided this case should be able to support a goodish water cooling setup, but I don't need anything amazing due to the fact that I'm still just using a Pentium 2.4C processor and I will make a new case for any newer systems in the future. Having no experience with water cooling, I'm hoping maybe some people here will shed some light on things to look for in designing a case for watercooling, in terms of things to add in, where, and how large. All advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Things I'm looking to water cool are:
- Pentium 4 2.4C (OC'd)
- Sapphire Radeon 9550 (it's a cruddy card, but I want to see just how well I can OC it.. it's already at a huge level over what it was w/o volt mods)

MaxxxRacer
09-22-2005, 03:39 PM
I didnt know girls do watercooling.. NICE!

jk :lol:

the MAIN thing you need to consider when building a case for watercooling is the radiator.. you MUST, without exception, design an area for the radiator to go, as well as making mounting holes/brakets to mount the radiator.

You must also know which radiator you want to use as differnet radiators have different bolt pattersn.. HWlabs radiators are all the same and the 2-199 weapon core is the same.. On the other hand the thermochill radiators all use a patern differnt from that of the HWLabs rads. And last but not least is hte 2-302 weapon core, which again uses another set of mounting holes..

the only other thing of any real concern is the pump placement.. just make it so that you get a clean looking tubing arangement and as short as possible.

moonlightcheese
09-22-2005, 03:47 PM
i actually went with a coolermaster cavalier T01 case, which is a case that most do not consider a WC case. it's not exactly full of room. however, after mounting the 2-302 heatercore on the side of the case with a hole cut in the side panel for airflow, i have 2 panaflo U1As sucking through it and it is well out of the way of my other components. i've ditched the idea of a reservoir which has saved me even more room and the result is a very size efficient case with extreme cooling and sexiness.

so, point in case, you don't need a "huge" case to do a WC setup.

Bloody_Sorcerer
09-22-2005, 03:55 PM
you dont need one, but it's very very very nice.

Serra
09-23-2005, 09:29 AM
Bump.

Great info, keep it coming! Would you recommend anything like seperate chambers for the radiator from the rest of the computer, or is the heat you throw off them pretty much negligable? For example, the power supply will be put in a seperate air chamber, just because.