PDA

View Full Version : File Compression Problem

bazul
01-03-2003, 03:06 PM
I was not sure where to post my thread, but i'll try here :P
Here's my problem

Some years ago I started collecting old games from old cds and from the internet. I would zip the game, convert it to a self extracting zip file and put it in a folder in c:\Jogos (portuguese word for games) with the complete name of the game. So, for example the game Gremlins 2 would be in c:\Jogos\Gremlins 2\Grem2.exe
The self extracting zip would have a default extraction directory always starting with c:\games : for example, Gremlins 2would self extract to c:\games\grem2.
This was really hard work since i tested EVERY game i downloaded or got and running old dos games in windows is always very hard :P . (I always have like 6-7 Gbs or games to try)

Now here's my real problem : my collection is now VERY big and need to make it a little smaller. How ? Convert my self extracting zip files to self extracting rares (or .ace) because, even though being slower, compress REALLY better.
Now, i had a LOT of work with those "default extracting directories" and I would like to keep these. (and thus making it possible to revert back to the zip self extractors if needed...)

I guess what i need is a compression file converter capable of reading the .exe header and recovering the default extract to folder and also capable of batch jobs.

Anyone know how this would be possible ? Any nice programmer want to code something for me (eheh...)

Just for the curious : my collection has now 3691 games in 76.1GB all in my hard drive. And I still have 7.3GB of data to go through! (good luck for me :P) (All old games, some kinda hard to find)

Any feedback (not telling me "you're crazy") is appreciated!
Thx!

IFMU
01-03-2003, 03:39 PM
First off, You're crazy! :D Oughtta fit in around here great!
Second off, Welcome to the Xtreme!
Third off, Wow thats alot of freakin games!~! (Being older=smaller typically)
Forth, I wish I could say for sure, but I thought that most compression util's pretty much did them the same size in reduction? Odds are someone who could give yea some advice will be able to come around.
Fifth, I think this is about the best place for it to be. The only other place might be in the Graphics & Other Programs. But the Graphics kinda throws it off.

bazul
01-03-2003, 05:00 PM
Thx for the feedback :P

Rar and ace completely overpower zip. The only things zip is better in is speed. I can earn as much as 10 MB for each 45 Mb. In a best case scenario, that would be like almost 18GB!! (of course something like 5 gb max. would be more realistic :P). Anyway i have 4 HD's (20,40,60,120) but i'm trying to get most space i can because i suspect having 4 hd's is what caused my psu to fry after only 13 months (1 month after the end of warranty - how odd) (my 486 still works with the original power supply)