PDA

View Full Version : Help picking a watercooler please!

Frank Horrigan
09-18-2005, 09:12 PM
well, a while back i was thinking about getting a watercooled pc, but i said it was too expensive.

but going through my fan and fan controler and heatsink costs.. i found out air cooling will cost nearley $200 !, the cpu heatsink being 70, the vga cooler being 30, the 6 fans being $45 the fan controlers being $50 since i would need 2 >< and a few other things.

so i narrowed it down to its basics... the vga cooler and cpu cooler and the extra fan controler i would need comes out to 125 I was gonna go with the thermalright xp-120 and the zalman all copper vga cooler and a zalman fan controler...

Also, if i go watercooling, I could pick a driffrent case becuase with watercooling I would not need SUPER airflow.. just enough rotating throughout the case..

Im going with a amd 4000+, and a 7800gtx, does anyone know a good watercooling kit for this that 1. looks decently cool, and 2. does not cost over say.. 150 MAX?

also, Would I be able to get better overclocks if I used witchever low-mid range watercooling, oposed to the very high end air cooling?

anyway. I might not even get a fancy cooling system for these things, since I can overclock them a nice bit on with a nice zalman cooler on each that would cost about.. $70 and their very high end to begin with so theres not really a point to overclock them now..

Oh, and a case recomendation to go with it would be cool.. i pefer something black and shiny that looks good with uv cold coathids and stuff.., but i can change :P, for example right now I have a aspire x-dreamer II, looks GREAT but is a pain in the ass to assemble and stuff.

Frank Horrigan
09-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Oh, and almost forgot.

ive seen like small watercoolers that only rotate around a cpu and a radaitor fan.

if you can find one of these that costs less then $75 and is nice, I might just buy that and use a zalman for the vga.., since the processor is what needs to stay cool the most, and it would save me 25% on a fan controler.

RObErT_RaTh
09-18-2005, 09:39 PM
2. does not cost over say.. 150 MAX?

4000+ and a 7800GTX :slobber: ? Dude I don't think you're that short on money ;) For quality parts like this you are going to want a quality setup

Frank Horrigan
09-18-2005, 09:50 PM
I do actuily have a budget, and if i didn't have a problem with money i would be getting a fx-57 and 2 7800gtx's.

anyway I found this actuily , and it looks VERY intresting..

http://xoxide.com/kwcoolingsys.html

Hmm.. nevermind, it has a ton of bad reviews ><

k00lance
09-18-2005, 10:16 PM
4000+ and a 7800GTX :slobber: ? Dude I don't think you're that short on money ;) For quality parts like this you are going to want a quality setup

why what is wrong with 4000+ ?

omga14
09-19-2005, 12:03 AM
i'm learning about this area of cooling myself but with the research i've done so far your definitely gonna want to go with something better than what you posted a link to. i'm still saving to get my setup and i still have a s754 setup. if i'm going to go water i'm going to do it right and not be pissed with going the cheap route. with your components there is lots of potential for overclocking there don't short change your gear man. just an opinion from a water n00b.

nothing wrong with the 4000+ but the FX-57 has a 200mhz higher start off clock and unlocked both ways multiplier. that's why it's the better:D

Webzta
09-19-2005, 04:15 AM
He wasn't asking for you to change the parts he'd selected - but was after some insight into the watercooling world.

Swiftech do the best kits imo..if you want to go the "kit-route" Very reasonably priced too.. good quality stuff.

That one you linked to is terrible, steer clear of that kind of product.

If you're struggling for cash you'd be better to drop cpu down slightly and get better cooling - as you can o/c better that way anyway.

My .02$

-Webzta