PDA

View Full Version : Problems running 4xSticks of PC4000 Redline

scoobie dave
09-16-2005, 07:08 AM
Hi,

Has anyone had any trouble running 4x512 PC4000 redline sticks of ram with on a DFI NF4 SLI-DR mobo? Running 2 sticks has never been a problem. Since running 4 sticks my pc is fine, totally rock solid from cold. If I have been using my pc, say for 30min and everything has 'warmed up' and I turn off my pc, if I try to power my pc back up it will not even get to the post screen and just keeps beeping at me.

1. I have just changed my cpu to a X2 4400 so I know it's nothing to do with a cpu.
2. I have loaded loads of different bios's and still get the same problem.
3. My case is never hot inside (sit's on average 30c)
4. I have a 120mm fan directly over the ram (for active cooling)
5. I get this problem running even at stock speeds, and the lowest amount of voltage required for the ram (3.2v I believe). So it's not an overclocking problem.

It definately seems to be a heat problem as it always starts up from cold no problems with 4x sticks. If it starts beeping at me and I leave it for a couple of hours or so it will boot again - OR if I take out 2 sticks of ram and it will boot up.

Could it be something to do with the northbridged perhaps?

Anyone got any ideas. I have had this problem for a little while now and have gotten used to it (basically I never turn off my pc, unless I know im not going to use it for a while) but I know I should not have to live this problem.

:confused:

Ugly n Grey
09-16-2005, 07:44 AM
you're running at 2t? what are your overall timings? perhaps the heat is just enough to make things unstable with your current settings...

dnottis
09-16-2005, 01:10 PM
nope, runs fine here at 253 Mhz 2-2-2-5 3.1v.

JNav89GT
09-16-2005, 01:14 PM
it's an issue I had with dfi board where it's not supplying enough startup voltage. EMC2 had a good writeup about it.

I would have to wait about 30-40mins sometimes before I could boot again. It's not ram persay, however if you got older redline that was spd proggied to 2-2-2-5/6 as opposed to 2-3-2-6 now, that might make the prob a hair worse.

Search DFI cold boot issue. Although what your having isn't a "cold boot" it's your board freaking out in a similar manner :O

overall, running 4x512mb redline is butter though :)
enjoy!

scoobie dave
09-16-2005, 01:14 PM
nope, runs fine here at 253 Mhz 2-2-2-5 3.1v.

You only run yours @3.1v? :eek: