PDA

View Full Version : high humidity = no tec?

jdms13
01-03-2003, 01:12 AM
i live in hawaii, and it seems like nobody has any kind of extreme cooling (prometia, pelts, etc.) running on their systems. the humidity here is rediculous... i think the i've seen the news report humidity levels above 80%. my question is, will condensation be a problem even if i take precautions to prevent it? nobody that i know of that lives here has anything more than watercooling. i don't want to be the first one to try extreme cooling and also be the first one to fry my comp. thanks for the help.

Hardass
01-03-2003, 03:29 AM
Welcome to Xtreme Forums. I live in Miami which i thought had the highest humidity anywhere, at least it feels like it in the summer. This year we had days with 97% hummidity. I run 2 TEC setups and a prometeia in a room with a average temp of 80F. If you setup your unit correctly as far as condensation proofing, and in the case of the prometeia use the power conditioner you should be fine.

jdms13
01-03-2003, 03:49 AM
thanks for the info hardass. sounds like we live in similar weathers. i finished my water setup, so i guess it's pelts next for me.

Hardass
01-03-2003, 04:30 AM
Good luck.:)

jdms13
01-03-2003, 08:32 AM
i have a couple more questions now that i am set on going with pelts... my current water system consists of a black ice extreme rad (largest rad to fit in my pc60), a hydror L30, and 1/2" tubing. would this be enough to handle a 226 watt pelt and a 80 watt pelt for my gpu? or will i need to add another rad (i probably only could add a black ice micro; another black ice extreme may prove very difficult to fit) if i add a second pelt? and my final question... what cpu block would you recommend for pelts, the swiftech mcw462u, the dangerden maze 3-1, or something else? again, sorry for all the questions and thanks for taking the time to reply.

KnightElite
01-04-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by jdms13
i have a couple more questions now that i am set on going with pelts... my current water system consists of a black ice extreme rad (largest rad to fit in my pc60), a hydror L30, and 1/2" tubing. would this be enough to handle a 226 watt pelt and a 80 watt pelt for my gpu? or will i need to add another rad (i probably only could add a black ice micro; another black ice extreme may prove very difficult to fit) if i add a second pelt? and my final question... what cpu block would you recommend for pelts, the swiftech mcw462u, the dangerden maze 3-1, or something else? again, sorry for all the questions and thanks for taking the time to reply.
Your RAD should do okay.... but don't expect super-amazing performance out of it. As long as you maintain good enough airflow, it should be fine.

I would recommend not adding a GPU block at all, or if you do, having a completely seperate system for the graphics card. It's not worth the loss of flow that having the block give you. Out of the two blocks you've listed, I would say that the MCW462-UHT is probably the better one, and definitely the easier one to install and condensation proof.

|Oc|REvO_HsArC
01-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Hardass

you have no problem at all running low temps with that kind of weather?... i live in a sea-side country my self, a friend of mine already had problems with prometeia becouse water started to form out side the tubes and it run into the board :\ causing problems!.... you seem to be lucky or my friend seems to be bad lucky lolll

Hardass
01-06-2003, 06:53 PM
They sell a self adhesive wrap for A/C units get some of that and wrap the tube, don,t wrap it to tight just enough to keep warm air off the tube. That will stop the condensation on the microfreezer tube.

Hardass
01-06-2003, 07:11 PM
Here is a pic shows the wrap.

|Oc|REvO_HsArC
01-08-2003, 11:13 AM
i see...!

thankx!...

PimpJack
01-10-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by jdms13

I will have to dissagree with Knight Elite. When i hooked up a 226w pelt to a heater core with 120mm fan (said to be better than bix) for testing, the heater core quickley turned scorching hot and my water temps steadily rose and rose and the coldplate got warmer and warmer. With a heatercore the size of approx ur black ice the coldplate initially went to -15c(no load). With a Lytron rad i have now the coldplate was -24c (no load). U can push ur luck but with tropical temps u'll probably be kicking urself in the ass. I would suggest a larger rad.