PDA

View Full Version : Can I get your opinion please?

Le_Petit_Lapin
09-14-2005, 03:44 AM
I just got my TCCD PC4400 G.Skill RAM. :D (2.5-4-4-8 @ 275Mhz)

So....just to check...the best idea would be for me to set the RAM to 1:1 with the HT and CPU, and to lock the timings down to 2.2.2.6 @ 200Mhz, and then raise the HT until I get errors in Memtest, lower the timings a little, and then keep on raising and repeating the process until my CPU refuses to boot? (which will almost certainly be before 275Mhz HT) so that I have the fastest CPU + Mem in a 1:1 ratio, with the tightest timings possible?

OR

Should I just keep the RAM running at 275Mhz (@ 2.5-4-4-8), and using CPU multipliers raise the CPU speed alone, until it craps out on me?

Basically, what I'm asking is what is most likely to be better:

Tight Timings @ 1:1 with the CPU.
Loser Timings, but higher speed, using a lower multiplier on the CPU
(unless I'm very much mistaken there is no such thing as a RAM Multiplier, only dividers)

Whats your opinion?

SoF
09-14-2005, 04:09 AM
this was discussed too ofter...try reading first.
1:1 at the best possible timing, 1T is a must have...that's whats rocking most...sometimes exceptions are possible if the cpu clocks lots higher than it's possible with the ram.

LivingL@rGe81
09-14-2005, 04:11 AM
I just got my TCCD PC4400 G.Skill RAM. :D (2.5-4-4-8 @ 275Mhz)

So....just to check...the best idea would be for me to set the RAM to 1:1 with the HT and CPU, and to lock the timings down to 2.2.2.6 @ 200Mhz, and then raise the HT until I get errors in Memtest, lower the timings a little, and then keep on raising and repeating the process until my CPU refuses to boot? (which will almost certainly be before 275Mhz HT) so that I have the fastest CPU + Mem in a 1:1 ratio, with the tightest timings possible?

OR

Should I just keep the RAM running at 275Mhz (@ 2.5-4-4-8), and using CPU multipliers raise the CPU speed alone, until it craps out on me?

Basically, what I'm asking is what is most likely to be better:

Tight Timings @ 1:1 with the CPU.
Loser Timings, but higher speed, using a lower multiplier on the CPU
(unless I'm very much mistaken there is no such thing as a RAM Multiplier, only dividers)

Whats your opinion?

You must test your system in two seperate processes!!!

First you must find you CPU's maximum overclock.....you can use OCCT in windows & clockgen for this....but don't go to crazy with the Vcore keep you cpu temps below 55 Degrees....

Once you have done that then you can find your memorys maximum speed using memtest, you want it error free with tests #5 & #8....

Once you have done that you can work out the best settings for you system...

But remember G.Skill TCCD don't like more than 2.9V... You should be able to run 275 @ 2.5-3-3-7 with those 440's

Le_Petit_Lapin
09-14-2005, 04:27 AM
this was discussed too ofter...try reading first.
1:1 at the best possible timing, 1T is a must have...that's whats rocking most...sometimes exceptions are possible if the cpu clocks lots higher than it's possible with the ram.

I know its been asked before, but I'm reasonably certain that my Processor just wont do anything beyond 2.4Ghz or so. That leaves me with a fairly hefty 35Mhz gap between the processor max speed and the memorys stock speeds. Most of the other topics cover gaps of about 10Mhz or so.

but I digress....I'll run a CPU max speed test later on (I keep the memory at a low multiplier (like 6/10) when doing this yes?) and just give it max volts (its watercooled, it'll be ok - ish) until it refuses to boot. I'll try it as well with my 3000+ DTR processor, the fact that it only does 1T wont matter in this case, as it wont be the RAM thats holding me back anymore.

Then I do the memory...except I wont be ramping the Mhz....just tightening the timings @ 2.9v. I doubt I'll want anything more than 275Mhz, unles it turns out that my CPU is some "uber" Newcastle core or something, or my C0 stepping DTR performs particularly well. What'll I do, just give it 10 runs or so of Memtest Test 5 or so to see if it causes errors? If it does, I'll looses something, if not, I'll tighten the timings?

I'll post the results back then.

LivingL@rGe81
09-14-2005, 04:41 AM
but I digress....I'll run a CPU max speed test later on (I keep the memory at a low multiplier (like 6/10) when doing this yes?) and just give it max volts (its watercooled, it'll be ok - ish) until it refuses to boot. I'll try it as well with my 3000+ DTR processor, the fact that it only does 1T wont matter in this case, as it wont be the RAM thats holding me back anymore.

Then I do the memory...except I wont be ramping the Mhz....just tightening the timings @ 2.9v. I doubt I'll want anything more than 275Mhz, unles it turns out that my CPU is some "uber" Newcastle core or something, or my C0 stepping DTR performs particularly well. What'll I do, just give it 10 runs or so of Memtest Test 5 or so to see if it causes errors? If it does, I'll looses something, if not, I'll tighten the timings?

Don't give it max volts on water cooling you want 1.65V Max, yes use a divider 6/10 is good & boot into windows & use clockgen to slowly ramp up the clocks, boot up at 10 x 230 that shouldn't be a problem for any core...

In windows... say you started at 230 x 10 use clockgen & change frequency to 233 x 10 & run OCCT, if it passes OCCT then you raise the frequency again to say 235 x 10 & then run OCCT again & just keep repeating this until you get & error... then back off 2 - 3 Mhz & run OCCT again....

Start you memory with 2.5V & slowly work your way up...

Le_Petit_Lapin
09-14-2005, 06:11 AM
Ok...will do, seems more sensible advice than any of the other forums are giving me... :rolleyes:

Just one question.....whats OCCT? When I Google it I just get stuff avout Orange County, California. :confused:

LivingL@rGe81
09-14-2005, 08:08 AM
Just one question.....whats OCCT? When I Google it I just get stuff avout Orange County, California. :confused:

OCCT is a great program for testing your systems stability & its quite quick @ doing it.....

Download OCCT (http://www.ocbase.com/OpenBeta/OCCTv0.91.exe)

Ugly n Grey
09-14-2005, 08:21 AM
Just for future reference, you are sorta post in the wrong spot, AMD or general hardware will get you a lot of responses and information...
Welcome to Xtrmesystems :)

Le_Petit_Lapin
09-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Oops.

This would be the sub-forum for already overclocked PC's that are having problems then?

Anyway...I'm about to stick the stuff in the PC now. I'll probably be back in a few hours complaining that somethings not working.... :rolleyes:

harleybro
09-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Hey Le_Petit_Lapin good to see you aboard! I think this section is mainly used to post reults of xtremely oc'd systems not so much for problem solving. Good luck and good to see you around. :toast:

Ugly n Grey
09-14-2005, 10:07 AM
Oops.

This would be the sub-forum for already overclocked PC's that are having problems then?

AMD or general hardware. I doubt you'll find more that a hanful of computers on these forums that AREN'T overclocked. This section is where the guys pushing the envelope tend to hang...

Le_Petit_Lapin
09-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Whoo.....these stress tests are dull. ;) 240Mhz at the mo.

Just noticed I forgot to put the RAM on a divider though.....oops.

Should I keep the thread going here or start a new one in General?

Edit: Also noticed a watercooling pipe has a massive kink in it, thats what I get for buying cheapo stuff from the nearest hardware store I guess. Still....CPU isnt going above 39*C yet so alls good for now.

Edit 2: Hey, did you know that matchsticks, some string and a hairband make a great way of removing kinks from your watercooling pipes?

Ugly n Grey
09-14-2005, 10:49 AM
I can ask to have it moved if you like, just keep it going

Le_Petit_Lapin
09-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Cheers, if it could get moved that'd be great.

I kinda feel a bit "lacking" sitting in here with all these 3.5Ghz monsters. :eek:

Question: Should I be browsing forums and the like on the machine I'm stresstesting?

Also....Matchstick "mod" for kink removal just knocked 5*C off my temps. Yay for the matchsticks! :banana:

Ugly n Grey
09-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Sure, use it while it's stressing, any thing you can do to work it is all good.

Le_Petit_Lapin
09-14-2005, 10:57 AM
Good.....the other PC's banjaxed anyway.

Also....believe it or not....those matchsticks have taken me down to 29*C. That kink had me running 10*C over my normal temps.

I think I'll be buying better pipes when I next drain and re-fill the water. :)

harleybro
09-14-2005, 11:07 AM
DD tubing is very nice and I haven't been able to kink it. Real heavy walled with good elasticity. :)

Jupiler
09-14-2005, 12:19 PM
I moved this topic to the General Hardware section, as requested.

Le_Petit_Lapin
09-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Cheers Jupiler.

Right....well 3 hours into to fiddling with settings I've come to the conclusion that I need a new processor.

Why?

This processor will not do above 2350Mhz 100% stable. Fair enough you might say, just run it at a 9x or 8x Miltipler, and get your RAM screaming along at a massive FSB. I'd love to....the RAM is happy to post and run Memtest at 300Mhz 2.5-4-3-6, but with errors.

So....discovering I had errors, I clocked it back a bit.....and a bit more....and a bit more, and then to stock, still errors, then below stock....then it clicked.

Maybe the problem isn't in my RAM, rather its in the processor's memory controller. So, I threw all manner of timings, voltages, dividers, CPU Multiplers and, naturally, insults at the PC.

And what did I discover? I am not stable, at any speeds, unless my CPU has its 10x multiplier. Thats right.....my CPU sulks if I dont let it have a 10x multiplier. I even dropped the HT down to 200Mhz, gave the processor a 9x multi, ran the RAM 1:1 and used crap 3-4-4-8 timings, and it still wouldnt give me a clean Memtest run. We're talking 55,000 errors here.

So, I'm stuck with running my CPU at 10x, obviously holding back my RAM, as its running 1:1 with the HT (and there isnt any RAM multipliers).

Max. speed I'm able to do with this processor is therefore:

2350Mhz CPU @ 1.65v
235Mhz HT
235Mhz (DDR470) @ 2.7v on the RAM @ 2.5-3-3-6

I could probably squeeze an extra 5Mhz HT in there if I fiddled about long enough, but it seems like a wasted effort when the RAM is running 40Mhz slower than its stock speeds. :(

So.....what do you guys reccommend in the way of a new Soc. 754 processor? I was thinking of getting an E6 Stepping Sempy 3400+ 64bit, for its new and improved memory controller....that sound like a good idea to you lot?

ferrari_freak
09-14-2005, 02:14 PM
s939 highly recommended. We got water cooled s939 Athlon 3000+s here with ~2.7GHz+.

Usama aka Ferrari Freak

Le_Petit_Lapin
09-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Recommended...but not cheap. If I switch to Socket 939, I will be running an AGP video card, leaving me restricted to choosing the DFI LanParty UT NF3 Ultra as my motherboard (unless theres a better overclocking, AGP supporting, Socket 939 motherboard out there). And then I still need to buy a CPU on top of that....

I rather thought I might just stick around on Socket 754, with a decent overclock, until Socket M2 comes out in Q2 next year. Why bother going to 939, when it'll be outdated in 7 months anyway?

I'm on 754, its outdated already, so I may as well stick with it if the only other option is Socket 939 that'll be stagnating in about 9 months.

Ugly n Grey
09-14-2005, 05:46 PM
I have a x2 4200 that runs at 11x...nothing else. I even started a thread and took advice from all the members.. tried everything, even a diff mobo.. nothing worked.. to this day it runs x11...but it OC's like a mutha so I can't whine.

Sometimes you just gotta play the cards you are dealt. What am I going to say for an RMA? this chips work great way beyond spec but it's not flexible enough...? lol...not

Le_Petit_Lapin
09-15-2005, 01:48 AM
So: Which one?

AMD Sempron 64 3400+ E6 Stepping
or
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 64 bit (Newcastle)

I can't seem to find a 3700+ on sale anywhere, they all must be sold out. So...should I get the Newcastle with its extra 256kb cache, or the Sempy with is revised E Stepping memory controller?

OR

If someone knows of somewhere in the UK that sells a cheap DFI LanParty UT NF3 Ultra (Socket 939) and a Venice Processor together as a bunble deal, do tell. All those type of deals that I find have RAM included, or are PCI-E