PDA

View Full Version : need some little help

[XC] leviathan18
09-13-2005, 05:59 PM
well guys im thinking about getting a water cooling setup...

for the next months i will be overhoulin my system and i want 3800x2 or perhaps 4000 sandy and 7800gtx

knowing that what you can recomend i want something nice and not more than 300 bucks

i was thinking cpu block DD RBX cooper, maze 4 gpu, pump Danger Den DDC-12V, radiator BIX II, Danger Den Dual 3 1/2" Floppy Bay Reservoir

there is anything else i should consider??? im noob in w/c so any recomendation is nice :toast:

SDX
09-13-2005, 06:19 PM
I would checkout the Swiftech Apex Kit. It has a Swiftech Storm, D5, 120x2 Rad, Res, Hydrex water additive,tubing, cool sleaves for only $259.00. Then pick up a maze4 gpu from DD for about $45 I think, thats a tad over 300 but will perform a fair bit better than your above setup.

A few other things to consider, if you don't want to go the Apex route, the DDC pump as not nearly as strong as a D5 and the RBX is an impingent block, so getting a D5 will improve temps a bit, not sure on numbers here.

Also, the TDX performs slightely(almost innoticable) worse than the RBX without the hastle of a y fitting.

Anyway, Maxx should be along in a bit to offer other options, just my 2c

[XC] leviathan18
09-13-2005, 06:35 PM
hey thanks for the recomendation i would check that setup.....

about what temps im going to have????

moonlightcheese
09-13-2005, 07:05 PM
yea the RBX was a b1tch to mount. the mounting consistency was pretty wretched from what i understand. that's a block you'll probably want to stay away from. Storm G4, MCW6002, Nexxos XP; these are all good choices. the TDX is pretty nice but needs a decent pump (MCP655 or better) to really perform as well as the others.

so to make it short, it looks good, all except for the CPU block. nice job mate.

hooter`Tbc
09-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Hey all, I was wondering how much noise the Apex kit would make, and if the included rad is as good as the 77 Bonni heatercore in terms of performance.

hooter`Tbc
09-13-2005, 08:57 PM
OK, nevermind on the kit, I just looked it up and I'm not comfortable enough with my modding skillz to mess with the mounting setup, I think I will use a "drop in" block like the Swifty MCW6002 CPU block, as well as the Swifty MCP655 pump, 77 Bonni HC, and 1/2 inch Primoflex tubing. I am looking mostly for noise control as I don't enjoy sitting 2 feet from a comp I can hear 31 feet away...I measured! So what is the best way to slow the fans down to an "unnoticable" noise level?

How often does a watercooling setup need the water/tubing changed? Is there a set, recomended interval, or just when it's dirty?

moonlightcheese
09-14-2005, 01:15 AM
@hooter - going for silence? here's a good setup:

BIP2 or BIP1
MCW6002
DDC pump or CSP-MAG (very quiet)
silent fans (Nexxus or SilenX)

now thats a nearly inaudible setup that will still perform quite well.

[XC] leviathan18
09-14-2005, 06:34 AM
the bix II can handle cpu and video card???? with good temps?

what is the use of the nozzle (sp)

and the TDX cooper or silver?

moonlightcheese
09-14-2005, 06:43 AM
generally tests have shown that the #4 nozzle will give better performance. the BIX2 is quite capable of handling both GPU and CPU as long as you get some decent fans on the rad. 70CFM minimum for each fan on the radiator. the silver really isn't necessary as the price is not worth the temp drop. you won't see much of a difference; 1C if you're lucky.

Thomas FJ
09-14-2005, 08:22 AM
yea the RBX was a b1tch to mount. the mounting consistency was pretty wretched from what i understand. that's a block you'll probably want to stay away from. Storm G4, MCW6002, Nexxos XP; these are all good choices. the TDX is pretty nice but needs a decent pump (MCP655 or better) to really perform as well as the others.

so to make it short, it looks good, all except for the CPU block. nice job mate.

The mounting of RBX is IMO not more difficult than others...

I would say it's a reason for not buying it... If it was a bit difficult it's only once every 6-12 months you will remove the head... So at the end of the day, it's not a big deal in the whole picture...

I would go for the Swiftech set there has been recomened and Maze4 for GPU!
/Thomas

JfRsQ
09-14-2005, 08:58 AM
The DDC -D5- 655 are all the same pump , no :confused:
Like others, I would suggest a TDX over a RBX > no Y fittings and 1 less piece of tubing. You don't need a monster pump for the TDX to perform well, I only have a CSP-MAG pushing thru a TDX, a maze4 and a 2-199 heatercore and my CPU temp never break 40C.
Im getting about 6C over roomtemp and a delta of 7-8C between idle and a few hours of gaming.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37090

SDX
09-14-2005, 01:03 PM
The DDC -D5- 655 are all the same pump , no

THe D5 and the 655 are the same. The DDC is the small pump:

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=135&cat=4&page=1

MaxxxRacer
09-14-2005, 01:31 PM
d5 and mcp655 are the same.. ddc is not.

i say go with the apex kit..

[XC] leviathan18
09-14-2005, 01:39 PM
i was reading that the lucite top cracks or breaks so i should buy it cooper????

really thanks for all the help

so this pump is good? The Danger Den DD12V-D5

[XC] leviathan18
09-14-2005, 03:17 PM
iwas thinking about this for a while

one rad 12cm x1 for the cpu from the cpu to another rad 12 x1 for the video card

i think is quite retrisctive (sp) but it should performs better and less problem to fit in the case i think

MaxxxRacer
09-14-2005, 04:30 PM
wrong... two single rads will perform worse than one equally sized double rad... just plain physics.

but you are correct in that it will be more restrictive..

for the TDX you shoudl get the brass top. but I still say go with the swiftech kit..

yes the D5 is a good pump.

[XC] leviathan18
09-14-2005, 04:42 PM
well as i said im noob in this thing that is why im asking

that KIT is sweet firs kit ive seen that is so nice....

im going to get that one i like it very much (the only thing i dont like is the reservoir) what do you guys think about fixing that kit in a lian li 1200? easy?

really thanks for all the help :toast:

SDX
09-14-2005, 05:18 PM
what do you guys think about fixing that kit in a lian li 1200? easy?

Well, I dont personally have a lian li 1200 but judging from pictures the case will require a bit of modding to get that Rad to fit in there. But that depends entirely on where you put the rad, how many optical drives do you need? You could about halve the number infront and pull out one of the 3.5' racks to put the rad in the front of the case, fans sucking in. Another option is to pull both 3.5" and have it on the bottom of the case, those look like the two most logical locations to me.

MaxxxRacer
09-14-2005, 11:57 PM
kit should fit fine, though modding for radiator might be a bit of a pita.

the res will be fine as swiftech installs the barbs for you. other companies dont do that and users end up installing them incorrectly. cough danger den cough.

[XC] leviathan18
09-15-2005, 04:28 AM
i was thinking to put it in the top i just need 2 o 3 optical drives

max the whole kit is 1/2 right?

MaxxxRacer
09-15-2005, 07:33 AM
it is 7/16" tubing with 1/2" fittings. According to cathar, the equivalent system with 1/2" tubing will not gain you anything due to the turbulence at the barbs (barbs lip is smaller than tubing ID) and your flow rates will the be same. the 7/16" has to stretch over the fittings and thus the lip is negated and the tubulence from entering the barb is greatly reduced.

BUT i should mention that for anyone running really long tubing lines (idk why they would do this, but i will say it anyway) the benefits for 7/16" will be lost, and regular 1/2" should most certainly be used.

[XC] leviathan18
09-15-2005, 04:46 PM
just for the recrod which is the best loop with that apex kit????

that is my final question just to know when i buy with the maze 4 for the gpu

MaxxxRacer
09-15-2005, 05:02 PM
best loop with the apex??!?

[XC] leviathan18
09-15-2005, 05:06 PM
lol well with the apex and maze 4 gpu :P

i think is res-pump-rad-cpu-vid-res? not sure :(

MaxxxRacer
09-15-2005, 05:17 PM
that works. just make sure the res is right before the pump.. thats the only real thing you need to abide by.. everything else can be mixed around.