PDA

View Full Version : How much ventilation is necessary?

vapb400
09-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Hey guys-
I'm new to dry ice and I am just about ready to order one of the new aluminum mousepots to test out dry ice, so I can get a feel of everything.

I'm 16 and my parents main concern is the saftey behind using dry ice. My room is pretty big, about 12x12 along with a 5x5 alcove. I have one door that would stay open, as well as 2 windows I can open. I have a third window that has an A/C mounted in it so it is not openable, however the A/C can be run as a fan or A/C, so air will still be moving. I also have a cieling fan.

I'm sure this would be enough ventilation, but just verifying so I can show this thread to my parents.

Their other concern is the handling of the dry ice. I see most of you use scoops to pour into the container, and more than likely don't use any sort of gloves. That is fine right? Any precautions I should take when handling it? or any do's and don't of handling?

Thanks alot guys, I really appreciate your time, I look forward to attempting for some 6600GT records shortly :)

G H Z
09-13-2005, 04:50 PM
Alot of people complain of acetone vapors but they don't bother me at all and are not that strong either. If you keep a window open you will be fine especially if you have a fan running.

I routinely pickup DI chunks with bare hands and drop them into the container. It's easy to tell if your holding it too long, just drop it. For most of the DI I use a small scoop.

afireinside
09-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Just keep a window open or fresh air coming into the area and you're fine. Just don't hold DI for to long and you're fine there as well. I don't use gloves and have no problems. Have fun with the mousepot :D

09-19-2005, 01:42 AM
2:dryice doesnt burn you unless you hold it in one spot for awhile. You can put a chunk of CO2 in your mouth and move it around like a hot potato and you will not get burned if you do it fast enough.

Bpys and girls..please don't try this at home... :D