PDA

View Full Version : [REQUEST]Backup script

Entity_Razer
09-13-2005, 04:11 AM
Hi all

I've got a request.
I am a graphical enthousiast as I'd like to call myself meaning I do 3Dwork , starting a multimedia education, do some sound editing (very basic) but I recently encounterd a problem. I shut off the computer at night and when I rebooted the next day I had a corrupted MBR. Now i could NOT revive it. I'm a ICT'r from education so I'm no PC n00b far from and I've resurected many systems but this time my system was beyond repair. Thank god I still had a DVD backup one month old so I still had some work but A LOT and I mean A LOT!!!!! of work had been lost.

Now I'd like to make a request to the people here who can code or script because I cannot (not yet :) I'm hoping to learn it :p: )

I'd like to have a backup script/program that I can have windows run automaticly when I log off. What should it do? Well I can provide links to maps/folder/files that need to be backuped (best system would be that I can put the "links" (just like :"D:\Milkshape3d\models") so that all the folders/dirs that are in that text file get backuped. But to conserve time because I can tell you its a LOT of stuff I need to backup at times I'd like the system to be able to distinghuis if something has been alterd since the last backup or not. So if it see's the properties (size, last alterd....) are still the same I need it to leave it alone as to conserve time. If it has been alterd I'd like it to back it up.

So is anyone understanding what I'm getting at?

If someone could provide me with such a script, program, system I'd be VERY happy and in your debt dear person :)

So, can anybody help me out?

Thanks in advance

Dementor
09-15-2005, 12:02 PM
This to me sounds llike something that isnt very small to do. Im sure you can find someone around here who can do this, but I'm sure they will probaly charge. Good Luck!

Entity_Razer
09-19-2005, 12:27 AM
I have no problem with paying people for their efforts as long as they don't go overboard with the prices.

I have a linux backup script I builth but it isn't one of the greatest although good and the thing it is still lacking is the comparison thing. But I need one for windows more then for linux because both my Dual Xeon runs on Windows and my laptop does (AXP on linux). And the Dual Xeon and laptop have the most critical software that needs to be kept safe.....

I can make backups off course because I have DVD RW'n in both of the systems (all 3 of them to be correct) but backing up over 80 gigs of data is a bit studip to do with DVD's :)

SoF
09-20-2005, 12:58 AM
well isn't raid no solution for you?
RAID 1 might be a first step so if a disk is crashing you still have a second one.
just to prevent you of any data loss until you're having your script :)

I think I've seen backup software able to do similar things you need. Maybe it's easier to search for such possibility instead of waiting for a personalized script (even it would have more style :D )

IFMU
09-20-2005, 04:09 AM
Might want to take a look at ghost. I am not to familiar with coding, but I would imagine the task you are looking for would be a rather daunting task to take ahold of.
Granted, ghost isnt quite what your looking for, but from what Ive read about it, looks like it might be your best bet.

saratoga
09-21-2005, 08:01 PM
That actually wouldn't be all that hard to throw together in PERL. It has functions that can easily grab a list of files in a directory, check their modifcation dates and then copy them if they're out of date. Shouldn't take more then 50 lines.

Would be harder in Java or c#, but still fairly trivial. I'd check google. I've seen scripts like there before. All sorts of admins use them. Maybe you can find one that will work for you.

Black Hat
09-23-2005, 05:33 AM
PM sent.

goodcooper
09-24-2005, 04:05 PM
use microsoft backup, you can easily selectively tell it which directories you want backed up, and you can also set it to do whichever type of backup you want, incremental, full, etc

it also does a shadow copy, which is quite useful...

from there you can burn the archived windows backup file to a dvd or cd, or other external storage...

if you've got winxp home you will not have it installed by default, but its on the CD

just trying to give you a heads up so that you don't spend money on something that is free