PDA

View Full Version : Lestat's LN2 Impulse Rev.2

Lestat HWL
09-12-2005, 02:57 PM
I've been working on some interesting container designs for quite some time, and I've finally figured out a design that should work very well.

I'm not wanting to build a traditional container, but rather build something that nobody has seen before, something with a new concept, and I think that this container will be one that will do very well...This is thought up after hours of concepting...

http://www.hardwareasylum.com/forcedconvection.jpg

If you look at the image you will see the outer walls, then you'll see a taller inner tube which will be brazed to the block. The block will have 1/4" drilled channels, and a 3/8" hollow core to allow flow throughout the block and to add surface area.

The "cap" on top of the container will be cut to allow the inner tube to stick out of the cap, and it will be welded so that the inner walls are sealed completely. There will be a barb on the top of the cap for the line running from the dewer. The dewer will be pressurized at around 3-5PSI and will use a needle valve which will allow the pressurized LN2 to push through a copper line into the barb. Once the LN2 enters the barb on the cap, it will fill the outer chamber and be forced to push through the block.

Once the LN2 pumps through the block, it will then evaporate out of the inner tube. I will be building a flow chart to figure out exactly what pressure the dewer needs, and what height the container needs to be for optimum functionality.

It will also be possible to place a reducer cap over the inner tube that will reduce the opening to 3/8", and use a "Y" splitter. With a Y splitter you can add two copper lines that will run into two GPU containers and allow cooling there as well. So, basically with a "Y" splitter you would have a full LN2 loop. Of course you would have to run with slightly higher pressure so that the LN2 could be pushed through the lines.

Firstly though, I won't be running the "Y" adapter, that will be later on. First I will be working with the design just to get it all working smoothly. It will take quite a bit of calculations, but overall everything should work very well, and be one hell of a beast for LN2 cooling. ;)

Bloody_Sorcerer
09-12-2005, 03:03 PM
looks awesome... now hurry up and build the real ones! :)

jjcom
09-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Looks great Lestat, :) Very interesting concept and should perform very well.

n00b 0f l337
09-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Now what happens when it overfills?

Lestat HWL
09-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Like I said earlier, I'll be coming up with a flow chart. I will build it to the right size/pressures to make sure that doesn't happen ;)

runmc
09-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Very aggressive Justin - :clap: Good luck with your project. :cool:

k|ngp|n
09-12-2005, 04:12 PM
I like it alot man :toast:
I have felt for awhile that this is the future of ln2 benching. Control all your temperatures with valves and pressure. Just setup everything, connect your lines dial in your temps. You cannot beat it for cooling. A cruder version of this but same concept would be too just run the lines to the top of the tubes and let it drip in to the containers like how reggie had it at the texas show.
I have played around a bit with this and my dewar and once fully presurized at 3-5psi, you can run a slow to medium drip easily on one container with a 30 litre dewar and pressure head. If you were to add a y or try to run three at once, a high pressure dewar might be needed like 20psi.

Lestat HWL
09-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I agree...The times of simply pouring LN2 into the container and watching it...Those times are over...When you're running SLI setups with three containers it becomes a job to watch voltage, meter the LN2 by hand, watch condensation, etc...

Nice thing about this is that it's built specifically for metered LN2 cooling. There's no way you could use this all that effectively with C02 (Dry Ice), but for LN2 I don't think you'd have a problem getting great results.

Going to have a couple of these built here soon to try it out.

For running a "Y" loop, you would need about 15-20PSI constant on the setup, so you'd need a high pressure dewer. For just the single container though, 3-5PSI will be just right.

Production costs on this will be really cheap as well, not alot of machine work in the design...

Chr0n1c
09-12-2005, 05:22 PM
You have always known how to cool justin. Perhaps I can drive over and witness this sucker in action. :)

G H Z
09-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Cool idea. It seems to me that if your going to run pressure on the liquid N2 you would need a method to re-circulate it rather than just counting on evaporation. But then I don't know how fast it will blow off under a CPU running full guns either.

harleybro
09-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Very cool when do I get one. :) The tank I have now is at 22PSI I believe and considered a low pressure vessel. At least thats' what the tag on it says. Lookin forward to seein some results and progress on this. I have already tried a slow drip method myself which consisted of a styrofoam cup with a small hole in it and filling it w/ LN2. Needless to say I couldn't get the right sized hole lol. :)

G H Z
09-12-2005, 06:06 PM
Sounds like we need a float or something inside the tube to meter the flow, or better yet a valve that flows based on container base temps. The latter would tame a cold bug CPU.

runmc
09-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Chilly1 was telling me about this metering method on the phone a couple of days ago. It sounds easy the way Chilly put it. But then again, it's all easy for Chilly. :)

k|ngp|n
09-16-2005, 01:13 PM
Chilly1 was telling me about this metering method on the phone a couple of days ago. It sounds easy the way Chilly put it. But then again, it's all easy for Chilly. :)

Ron, remember how he had it setup at the show??

Lestat HWL
09-17-2005, 11:12 AM
Scrapped this project...I decided that I'm not going to build one of these anytime soon, so hopefully someone else will have some interesting ideas on some new containers...

k|ngp|n
09-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Damn....would have liked to seen/tried it.

Lestat HWL
09-19-2005, 03:19 PM
This project is alive again...Ever since I realized that I could have three top end P4's delivered to my door, company sponsored, to take the CPU clock records...

It's time for Lestat to come out and play :toast:

harleybro
09-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Nice to hear you will be going for it again. Let me know if there will be any extras around. ;)

the_chad
09-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Good luck with the project, cant wait to see some results

runmc
09-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Ron, remember how he had it setup at the show??

Yeah Vince - He was using a 1/8 inch tubing. I think I brought it from the house.
I think he metering technique was "full blast." He was freezing everything in sight. :D