PDA

View Full Version : VMware VMware like program?

Entity_Razer
09-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Hi all

In school we once used VM ware (well once.....) to do linux. The stupid school used P3 450's with 256MB RAM and a win2k and a ATI Rage to do this so the performance was HORRIBLE.

Now I'm experimenting with multiple OS's a bit but I don't want to do multiple boots since I already have a Tri boot and I don't want to give up even more HDD space + I can't install another windows on the rig because of the 10 000K or something cluster threshold. now I'm looking into VM ware again because soon i'll have me a Dual Xeon rig capable of doing VM ware with ease. Now I searched the VM ware site and at a first look It doesn't appear to have like a free personal download for students nor a student lisence option. So I'm wondering, is there a VM ware replacement that is STABLE!!!!! and economical on the system resources (meaning it doesn't exagurate on the usage and uses only as much as needed) (with systemresources I mostly mean RAM)?

and preferably one with a free download/student lisence that I can use.

IF anyone would be so kind to let me know :)

THank you

sinister1st
09-12-2005, 01:00 PM
Ive used vmware workstation before and if your bios is not able it will not work right. NUMA error on my neo2 but SUSE ran just fine. Heres a link to get it: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2845.html

If u get it running right its fun to use depending on your bios.

Entity_Razer
09-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Yhea my bios can handle it, I know because we had VM ware via school a year ago but I lost the files so... and all I could find at first say was payware so... :)

I don't want something that I need to pay for to only use for like 2 months untill my intrest dies down :D

Thanks for the link dude!

G H Z
09-16-2005, 04:42 AM
This will cover you for twice that long.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/evaluation/trial/default.mspx

Might as well pickup the Server '03 eval while your at it.