PDA

View Full Version : My PSU fan is starting to smell...

drcrawn
09-08-2005, 10:42 AM
PC P&C 510 turbo deluxe....

Last night I noticed a smell, like plastic burning but not quite as strong. It's coming from the PSU exhaust. I had another 80mm fan on the outside pulling in conjunction with the internal variable stock fan. I removed the external fan and noticed the strongest smell was coming from it, and the fan was burning hot...

So I thought i was burning out that fan- no big deal...my PSU still has the odor, but not as strong, but I'm still worried. Is the internal fan on it's last legs?

My rails are stable, nothing is wrong, only I think the fan is failing...

Is it possible that the smell is just lingering around the psu exhaust as a result of the other fan overheating? Should I be worried a little or a lot? Should I just keep an eye and nose on the situation?

Thanks...

Dave in Daytona
09-08-2005, 02:53 PM
What PSU? :confused:

You had an external fan "stacked" over the PSU's fan? :confused: Why? :confused: Bad idea! :nono:

drcrawn
09-09-2005, 10:17 AM
What PSU? :confused:

You had an external fan "stacked" over the PSU's fan? :confused: Why? :confused: Bad idea! :nono:

What PSU? It's the first thing in my post, 510 turbo deluxe.

And why would having another fan hurt the PSU? I had this setup for almost a year with no problems.

It still smells a little too, the fan seems to be burning out.

Dave in Daytona
09-09-2005, 10:20 AM
What PSU? It's the first thing in my post, 510 turbo deluxe.

And why would having another fan hurt the PSU? I had this setup for almost a year with no problems.

It still smells a little too, the fan seems to be burning out.Stacking un-matched fans is guaranteed to over-stress them.

I hope that the smelly one is the exterior one & not the one inside the 510.

Major_A
09-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Open up the power supply remove the fan, splice in a new one and you are good to go. I've done that several times to prolong a PSU's life.

kimandsally
09-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Open up the power supply remove the fan, splice in a new one and you are good to go. I've done that several times to prolong a PSU's life.

I'm sure he would be better to send it back to the manufacturer for testing fitting a fan or even opening the case will void the warranty, if he doesn't mind that then yes go ahead.

But it could be something in the psu itself that is smelling so opening it up would be a very bad idea.

Major_A
09-09-2005, 12:57 PM
True that, don't PC P&C supplies have a 5 year warranty? If that's the case definately RMA the PSU. If it's out of warranty and you swap out the fan no harm no foul.

drcrawn
09-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Well, the smell got worse, I stuck my head up to the PSU exhaust and it was crackling, then a few sparks out the back, then I cut the power and tons of smoke poured out the exhaust, lol.

Opened up the PSU, and it wasn't the fan at all. Something near the bottom was burning and it finally got hot enough to start really burning.

Already got a 500w Antec in there doing fine now from the local store, unfortunatley the 3.3v rail sucks...and no adjustable pots either, but it's whisper quiet and not smelling, so that's good.

interesting day...

Major_A
09-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Luckily you didn't fry anything else.

i found nemo
09-23-2005, 05:43 AM
i remember when my psu died, right before it crapped the pc shut off ... well it was night time and all the lights were off so i figured it was a quick black out, turn pc back on 30 min later shut off again then i started to smell death that "plastic" you smelled was the pcb burning lol