PDA

View Full Version : Please help with this WC setup

nkcd
09-07-2005, 08:23 PM
I've been on air for a while. Now thinking of moving the old setup to water in hope of OC higher and MORE QUIET

So this is the old system that I'd like to play with:

Board: Abit IC7-G
CPU: 2.66ghz P4 (533FSB) 166x20 - Stetping 7 Rev C1/. Heard that this is fun for OC for the P4-B series.
RAM: 2x512MB HYNIX DT-D43 DDR400
VIDEO: ATI X800 Pro 256MB DDR3 AGP
HDD: 2 x 160gb SATA
PSU: CoolerMaster 450ACLX

please disregard about the upgrades, I just want to play with it and see how much more I can squeeze out while being the MOST quiet as I can. I already have another LGA775 setup that's good. Just want to have some fun with the old one

This is the similar picture of my case:

http://www.crazypc.com/images/cases/demon/isobackbig.jpg

Back: 2x80mm upper, 1x80mm Lower (PCIs)
front: 2x80mm lower - kinda in the middle of the HDD shelf
Top: 1x120mm (can have up to 160mm) blow hole
Bottom: 1x80mm (with plenty of spaces
side: 1x80mm for the RAMs and 1x92mm for CPU

as you can see, it's VERY NOISY. I tried the nexus fan controller but shortered out due to too much current draw, so I'm deciding to move on to WC.

Rad: BlackICE Xtreme II *
Pump: Switftech MPC665 *
CPU: Swiftech Storm *
GPU: Danger Den Acetal MAZE4 - Is there anything that's better for the $$?
Black DD Fillport
ClearFlex 60 tubes
Barbed T Fitting- 1/2"

* I'm still unable to find a place that sell these for cheap - beside the swiftech parts where I might have to resort to order through them directly and the rad, I can't find any other places that have this one for under 60 bucks

I'd like cool the best while being the most quiet. I currently have two Delta 120mm fans that I can use for the Rad, but they're quiet noisy 48dB/130cfm with a HUGE Ball bearing = deadspot. Is there any other better fan that's as strong for the blackICE Xtreme 2 and more quiet?
Thanks again

Hook me up guys

Thanks a lot.

moonlightcheese
09-08-2005, 03:36 AM
you want at least 70CFM on the BIX2 for each fan. those deltas are nice fans. if you grab yourself a fan speed controller you shouldn't need more fans. just turn the RPMs to your ear's desire. nice components there in your list.

on those prices, i highly doubt you'll find the MCP655 or the G4 for less than $70 (and $70 would be cheap). the BIX2 is $58 over at dangerden.com. you won't find it for too much cheaper elsewhere really. currently the MCP655 is hard to find and the G4s will still be out of stock for another 3 weeks. but that's the current affair of things. even though you may not get it all now, i wouldn't change that setup. better to wait and get the good stuff then rush in and get subpar equips.

nkcd
09-08-2005, 09:21 PM
thanks, so overall, my setup is rated as good (aka above average) right?

Btw, I have couple more questions:

1. Can I utilize TWO Radiators to cool down the water temp better? Will it help much? If so, What can I use? two BIX2 or one BIX2 as main rad and BIX1 just before the pump?

2. If #1 doesn't help, what can I do to make the water COOLER, not Chill it to 0C but instead below room tem - say about 14-15C? I'd like to advoid goig TEC+water) but instead something more reasonable. Please suggest. If it's too hard with a lot of condensation then I'd forget about it. :p: As long as I can keep my Full load tem lowest possible (close to idle)

My air temp right now is

29idle/42Full load - in exchange of Freakin NOISE

Thanks a lot :)

moonlightcheese
09-09-2005, 03:44 AM
yes, those are about the best WC parts you can get without spending ridiculous amounts of money.

1) using more than 1 rad will be pointless. a BIX2 is more than capable of handling the blocks in that loop (and then some). just make sure you have a decent fan on the rad. 70CFM+

2) put your radiator next to an AC duct/vent and change the temp in your house. that's about the best you can get without buying an actual AC unit for your computer. i remember someone saying that they had a res that they put ice in, not sure how that worked out...

anytime you chill to under room temp you have the possibility of creating condensation. this calculator i found will tell you exactly what temperature condensation will occur given the ambient temperature, surface pressure (atmospheric pressure) and dewpoint in your region. the output is the pressure and temperature at which condensation begins:
link (http://www.shodor.org/metweb/session3/lcl1calc.html)

nkcd
09-09-2005, 05:39 AM
that's neat. Thanks a lot. btw, I just realize that you're in ATL too. Do you know any local store that have these components (~ the same price as online?)

Thanks again. :)