PDA

View Full Version : OCZ Power Supply

Serra
09-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Alright, I just bought an OCZ 520w Modstream power supply (not a lot of high quality PSU's avilable where I live & I'm not a fan of purchasing things on the internet... it was the best I could do), and I'm looking at it and noticing that the main power connector is a 20-pin connector with an additional 4-pin that you can slide on to it. Because my computer is a P4 that uses the 20-pin connector, I want to make sure that I can just plug in the 20-pin connector (disregarding the 4-pin connector) without using some sort of adapter.

I've been checking pinouts on the web and am getting mixed results (which I find odd). That added into the fact that I lost my voltmeter has left me wondering.

~Serra

Dave in Daytona
09-05-2005, 06:24 PM
If your mobo is 20-pin ATX, just ignore the extra 4 pins. ;)

Ugly n Grey
09-05-2005, 06:33 PM
You can just plug in the 20 pin connector....for sure...

Squid_Spit
09-06-2005, 03:45 AM
Thats how i'm running right now.

bullit
09-06-2005, 06:57 AM
By the way your power supply it´s probably the best ever made.. :stick:

Dave in Daytona
09-06-2005, 08:34 AM
By the way your power supply it´s probably the best ever made.. :stick:(1) PC P&C 510
(2) OCZ PowerStream
. ModStream

Squid_Spit
09-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Modstream is further down, the modstreams really arn't that great.

Dave in Daytona
09-07-2005, 02:39 AM
Modstream is further down, the modstreams really arn't that great.I didn't want to create a post 2-feet long! :p: :explode:

[XC] leviathan18
09-07-2005, 04:47 AM
they are that bad for a normal use computer??? i dont think so

KoolDrew
09-07-2005, 05:01 AM
they are that bad for a normal use computer??? i dont think so

Really there is not one modular PSU out there that is well designed. The closest one is the Neopower, but its fan choice and mounting is poor. So there are no modular supplys out that I can recommend.

Here is what I don't like about the Modstream:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/atx-psu_11.html

You can see in the second graph it has very poor regulation. This results in unstable voltages under heavy load. In the colored chart it shows the Modstream has miserable cross-load tolerance. Load on any one line severely impacts the output on others. You can look at the Powerstream for comparison:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/powerful-psu_11.html

As you can see the Powerstream even has trouble with heavy loading of the 5V line. However this isn't really a problem for systems today. The Powerstream can also get a bit too warm since the 80mm fan spins slowly enough just to be quiet.

Squid_Spit
09-07-2005, 10:37 PM
I didn't want to create a post 2-feet long! :p: :explode:
Hehe, i suppose you're right