PDA

View Full Version : does Cyberpower make good UPS'?

felix88
01-01-2003, 07:01 PM
i don't need the battery backup function really, i just want something that can deliver clean power to my computer. i can get the 585AVR (http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/585avr.htm) at frys for about $60.

i just want to protect my pc from these brownouts i've been having in my area. would this unit work for me?

Svenn
01-01-2003, 10:13 PM
I've got the Cyberpower 1500 and it works great for me.

felix88
01-02-2003, 10:47 AM
cool, i just want to make sure they aren't a cheap brand. it seems thats about all frys sells now days. :rolleyes:

ricksimm
01-03-2003, 08:06 PM
Had trouble with monitoring software reading correct values on a 900AVR but they sent me another one after I had to pay the freight on the return (they're heavy). Also I don't think they have a USB interface- if you're interested. I have since switched to Belkin and have yet to have a problem. Maybe Belkin's Chinese factory is better than Cyberpower's Chinese factory.

felix88
01-04-2003, 12:48 AM
i was looking at the belkin units. unfortunatly, they don't have the same AVR capabilitys as the cyberpower units. :(

Svenn
01-04-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by ricksimm
Had trouble with monitoring software reading correct values on a 900AVR but they sent me another one after I had to pay the freight on the return (they're heavy). Also I don't think they have a USB interface- if you're interested. I have since switched to Belkin and have yet to have a problem. Maybe Belkin's Chinese factory is better than Cyberpower's Chinese factory.

Do you really need the monitoring software though? I installed it for my 1500AVR and it seemed okay to me. Also, WindowsXP has integrated UPS features so you don't need the software.

felix88
01-04-2003, 05:09 PM
i don't think i'd install the software or even plug it into the serial/usb port. all i want it to do is clean the power into my computer.

ricksimm
01-05-2003, 09:08 AM
So you want a UPS that cannot even run its own monitoring software correctly? There are no led indicators on the Cyberpower so how do you know what your load actually is or how out-of-spec other parameters are? Is your battery charged? How is XP going to communicate with a UPS that is not connected via some port? Many server installations want to know if a server has gone on battery power to force an orderly shutdown or even be notified on a pager that a problem exists.

felix88
01-05-2003, 10:31 AM
i have a DMM to check those things.

i don't need xp to communicate with the ups, i don't care if there is a powerfailur(those are very rare here). i just want the UPS to clean the power my computer is getting, thats it.