PDA

View Full Version : my X2 adventure

KaptainBlaZzed
08-30-2005, 07:30 PM
I recently decided that i wanted to get an X2 3800+ to replace my A64 3000+

To start this adventure off i ran down to Frys and bought an x2 3800+ with the stepping of

CCBWE 0528XPMW :slapass:

to say the least i was not very happy with this CPU it topped out @ 2.6 with 1.6volts and it was very hot so i decided to go get anothe one from Frys.

The second one had a stepping of

CCBWE 0529RPMW :woot:

I like this one alot better i have got it dual prime stable @ 2.6Ghz with 1.52 volts
I can not push it further because my computer room has an ampient of 28C right now and the X2 is topping out at 53C after 4 1/2 hours of dual prime

later this week i will return the crappy CPU to Frys

I love frys 15 day return policy on CPU's :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Here is a screenie for everybody
http://kaptain.no-ip.org/mywebsite/images/x22600.jpg

Major
08-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Congrats ! :toast:

looking good man, I was disapointed in my X2 3800+ but I think my expectations were unrealistic (I tend to do that !).

Is that with the stock HS or something else ?

Absolute_0
08-30-2005, 07:42 PM
looks alright, good policy that Fry's has :)

Ugly n Grey
08-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Now that's a policy I would LOVE to have here in Canuckistan. Congrats, nice OC that's exactly where my 4200 sits though it stays a lot cooler under my big typhoon.... I can bench it at 2.85 but man the HEAT

Time for water...

njkid32
08-30-2005, 07:56 PM
I think Fry's is a great place I got my chip there. But now that PC Club got them in I can hand pick them. They currently have a couple of them so I picked up a new E6 0529RPMW but havent opened the package. I am going to return it and get a 7800GTX instead cuz I have a pretty good chip now. If anyone is serious about getting a chip with good stepping just shoot me a pm cuz I can give you a choice.

I wish you luck with your oc cuz it looks like you got a pretty good chip there!

KaptainBlaZzed
08-30-2005, 08:02 PM
my x2 and my Bfg 6800GT are cooled by my Koolance AL

My temps are so High because my ambient is 28c in my computer room.

and the koolance is a littlele to weak for my X2 and my 6800GT

I will probably move my other water setup on to this system it is a

Dtek whitewater
DD Black Ice Xtreme 2
swiftech mcp6000

I just don't want to because i will have to put the stock heatsink back on my 6800GT

Ugly n Grey
08-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Yep the x2 chips put up a ton of heat when OC'd...I'm constructing a 12c permanent heat exchange loop inside my deep well. The rad of my system will be sitting in a constantly circulating 12c bath of water somewhere in the basement. That's my Christmas project. I'm hoping to cool a lot of systems with it.

Anyhow, you nailed it, that thermal output is just too much for your loop. These things put up a lot of heat in fast bursts under load. I feel like I'm running a P4 for crying out loud...

Major
08-30-2005, 08:12 PM
My Exos2 is doing ok with my X2 4400+ but its the only thing in the loop, IMO I could get another 100mhz or so with better water cooling.....

I'd say make the switch to your DIY water, and get yourself a wb for the video card.

Absolute_0
08-30-2005, 10:07 PM
Yeah, it's easy to throw a Maze4 into the loop, just have a powerful enough pump and rad to get the job done.

Perc
08-31-2005, 01:47 AM
yeah i agree on the heat issues. when i first got my 3800 x2 i had it running 2800mhz 1.56v and i tell you i felt like i had my prescott back in running 4400mhz! up until this x2 3800 the prescott was the hottest cpu i have ever used but now i must say the x2 takes that record for sure. the sad part is i use phasechange and i can notice the heat as well....

peace perc,

Unrealcpu
08-31-2005, 03:41 AM
its funny to hear all this overclocking and returning AMD products that work perfectly fine in this thread.

Isnt that against the rules of posting that kind of talk on XS? I remember i made a comment about RMAing my FX55 back to AMD after i overclocked it and the MOD was all on my back.

I cant belive this thread has gone this long .

politenessman
08-31-2005, 04:00 AM
i have pretty much the same chip as u, except mine is SPMW. i am running @ 10x290, 2xsuperpi 8mb stable. it hasnt failed at over 8mb superpi, i just havent tried it yet. my temps very high also, @ 1.55 vcore i am 43c idle and at 100% x 2 i am around 56c. this is with xp90 and medium panaflo. i will go to best buy today (no fry's or any decent store around here in the boondocks - nyc) and pick up a 92mm tornado at their bargain price around $20. then will bump up the vcore and try for my first ever 3ghz. yay. all my bench scores around the same as i got with sandy @ 10x280, except 3dmark01. i went from 33k down to 29k. is this normal? i mean losing around 15% on my 3d.

very truly yours,
politenessman

Major
08-31-2005, 06:14 AM
its funny to hear all this overclocking and returning AMD products that work perfectly fine in this thread.

Isnt that against the rules of posting that kind of talk on XS? I remember i made a comment about RMAing my FX55 back to AMD after i overclocked it and the MOD was all on my back.

He's not talking about RMA, he's just taking it back to Fry's for refund or exchange it's their policy to take it back within 15 days. Plus he didn't kill the chip by OCing it, no harm done Fry's will sell it as an open box item. I've got a local computer store that will do the same thing with OEM chips.

KaptainBlaZzed
08-31-2005, 08:05 AM

I am definatley NOT RMA'ing this chip *and it is in GOOD working order*

Frys has an in store policy that if none of the pins are bent and all the origional packaging is ther they will take back any CPU for 15 days, and they will give you a stroe credit up to 30 days.

I have a question for all the X2 owners out there

Do yo experience Bad Vcore vdrop when your X2 is at load???
my vcore is at 1.52 at idle and at 1.488 when bouth cores are at load
This did not happen with my A64 3000+ and the only change i made was my CPU

Gogar
08-31-2005, 08:28 AM
I guess maybe one of the reasons the new revision of the NF4 will have a 4 phase power circuit.

i found nemo
08-31-2005, 09:06 AM
or ur psu is a wimp

KaptainBlaZzed
08-31-2005, 09:20 AM
or ur psu is a wimp

I think not, I have a 600Watt Enermax Noistaker 2.0 SLI

jinu117
08-31-2005, 09:38 AM
Yep the x2 chips put up a ton of heat when OC'd...I'm constructing a 12c permanent heat exchange loop inside my deep well. The rad of my system will be sitting in a constantly circulating 12c bath of water somewhere in the basement. That's my Christmas project. I'm hoping to cool a lot of systems with it.

Anyhow, you nailed it, that thermal output is just too much for your loop. These things put up a lot of heat in fast bursts under load. I feel like I'm running a P4 for crying out loud...

Ahahah.... Better one for you... do closed loop with radiator element under the ground by about 6ft will do you nicely. Don't have to worry about contamination, noise, and temp will stay within 1-2c through out the year of 15c or so. Not as cold as the other one is but you don't have to worry about many things.

Ugly n Grey
08-31-2005, 09:53 AM
Ahahah.... Better one for you... do closed loop with radiator element under the ground by about 6ft will do you nicely. Don't have to worry about contamination, noise, and temp will stay within 1-2c through out the year of 15c or so. Not as cold as the other one is but you don't have to worry about many things.

OT (sorry)
There's no risk of contamination, all liquids involved are non toxic. And in a heat exchange system, you need to get a leak in both loops to have a problem. I am also going to use this loop for heat for the house in the winter. This is all well established tech, I'm just bleeding off it to cool some PC's. A bit more involved than just keeping my chips cool, but effective nonetheless for multiple purposes. I already have water based heat exhange loops going to the lake, for other houses I have but those are too far away for what I want. This well will handle the loads just fine. Thanks for the interest though!!!

Back on topic
On air, I found nothing keeps a x2 proc as cool as a Big Typhoon, I don't know what it is but they definitely soak up a high thermal load. On a single core chip, I found zippo diff between the BT and the XP90 with a panaflow in terms of temps. But on the x2 at a high OC, the BT outperforms the XP (90 or 120) by at least 4c and usually as much as 6c. And I like the quiet factor... I'm a wimp when it comes to noise...

jinu117
08-31-2005, 01:48 PM
OT (sorry)
There's no risk of contamination, all liquids involved are non toxic. And in a heat exchange system, you need to get a leak in both loops to have a problem. I am also going to use this loop for heat for the house in the winter. This is all well established tech, I'm just bleeding off it to cool some PC's. A bit more involved than just keeping my chips cool, but effective nonetheless for multiple purposes. I already have water based heat exhange loops going to the lake, for other houses I have but those are too far away for what I want. This well will handle the loads just fine. Thanks for the interest though!!!

Back on topic
On air, I found nothing keeps a x2 proc as cool as a Big Typhoon, I don't know what it is but they definitely soak up a high thermal load. On a single core chip, I found zippo diff between the BT and the XP90 with a panaflow in terms of temps. But on the x2 at a high OC, the BT outperforms the XP (90 or 120) by at least 4c and usually as much as 6c. And I like the quiet factor... I'm a wimp when it comes to noise...

Only thing I would be worried about household water is that it probably went through the water softner... Greenish inner block sometimes is not so easy to clean

I think the reason thermal take typhoon is doing so well vs xp90 is due to the maximum capacity it can handle vs XP90. One thing I noticed even with much more CFM fan on typhoon with X2 running 1.65v or so is that it doesn't help temp more than maybe 1-2c (and we are talking double airflow from stock fan). I am thinking XP-90 probably do get overwhelmed with heat saturation with X2 running at high(er) volts. I get this feeling day of air cooling might be coming to end in few years unless something significantly different comes along in way CPU heat is removed. Typhoon isn't exactly easy to install kind of HS for OEM, not cost effective. that 120mmx120mm space can only dissipate so much heat no matter what we put on.

Zebo
08-31-2005, 08:52 PM
AMD 90nm leaks like crazy after about 2.6... Intel after about 3.4. Need heavy duty cooling for two bad boys on one package. I'm on water and *can* OC to 2.8 with my fans blaring over radiator and 1.67 volts but I much prefer silent 5V fans and 1.51 volts and "settling" for 2560Mhz for 24/7 operation.
:)

Food for thought: Your buy and try policy seems a bit dishonest..after all I'm sure it's stupilated running stock speeds in Frys return policy not buying and returning until you find the right overclocking chip. I don't care if you steal from frys but frys passes these RMA costs onto me which I do care about./ soapbox out.:)

Quanticles
08-31-2005, 09:15 PM
AMD 90nm leaks like crazy after about 2.6... Intel after about 3.4. Need heavy duty cooling for two bad boys on one package. I'm on water and *can* OC to 2.8 with my fans blaring over radiator and 1.67 volts but I much prefer silent 5V fans and 1.51 volts and "settling" for 2560Mhz for 24/7 operation.
:)

Food for thought: Your buy and try policy seems a bit dishonest..after all I'm sure it's stupilated running stock speeds in Frys return policy not buying and returning until you find the right overclocking chip. I don't care if you steal from frys but frys passes these RMA costs onto me which I do care about./ soapbox out.:)

agreed

jinu117
08-31-2005, 10:38 PM
It is not speed... it is the voltage :P I hardly see measurable temperautre difference for additional 300mhz of overclock but +0.02v tends to be very noticeble :)

alpha0ne
08-31-2005, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the info UnG, I am currently using XP120 with medium speed panaflow (actually only at 6v ATM) on my new X2 3800 running 2300 @ default Vcore and temp is only 27c with ambiant of 18c

It will be interesting to see how well it scales with more Vcore+HTT when I OC a little more later today, may have to buy the BT just to give it a go :)

I am also a wimp when it comes to noise ;)