PDA

View Full Version : First WC Setup... In what order?

Bleam!
08-28-2005, 05:38 PM
Heya all,

I just recieved my first watercooler

I'm cooling:
7800GTX with a black ice single rad
7800GTX with a black ice single rad
4400+ with a dual black ice rad

I have a eheim 1250, a small innovatek res and a cdrom bay reservoir

http://shop.freezinghardware.nl/productimages/2556-2638.jpg
http://shop.freezinghardware.nl/productimages/1348-1310.gif

are my res's

in what loop should my watercooling be done?

thx

Bloody_Sorcerer
08-28-2005, 05:56 PM
so you have 3 rads, 2 resivoirs, and 1 pump? what blocks do you have?

Bleam!
08-28-2005, 05:59 PM
so you have 3 rads, 2 resivoirs, and 1 pump? what blocks do you have?

innovatek cool-matic nv40 for the 7800GTX's
http://shop.freezinghardware.nl/productimages/1919-1930.gif
and nexxos xp bold for cpu
http://shop.freezinghardware.nl/productimages/1856-1855.gif

my Black Ice Micro II is cooled by 2 Tornado 80mm fans @ 80CFM each
My Black Ice Pro I is cooled by 1 Titan 46CFM 120mm fan
my black ice pro II is cooled by 2 titan 46CFM 120mm fans
Eheim 1250 = 1200l/hr
just for the record...

SDX
08-28-2005, 07:47 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but that Full-cover wont fit the 7800's as the ram on them is about 1/4" higher on the pcb. Thats why its the "nv40" verion not the "g70" version.

As for loop order, check out Maxx's thread on the top of the forum, I think he has a section on order in there.

Psyche911
08-28-2005, 10:19 PM
One pump (Eheim no less) for 3 rads and 3 very restrictive waterblocks? That aint gonna work either. You'd need like an Iwaki for that. Or maybe two separate loops with 2 pumps.

AiRAzN23
08-29-2005, 12:53 AM
3 rads 3 water blocks w/ one (eheim) pump?
yea I'd say Iwaki at least, maybe dual pumps would work, but even then i think it is pushing it

MaxxxRacer
08-29-2005, 01:20 AM
with that setup i wouldnt be surprised if you dead headed the pump..

phextwin
08-29-2005, 03:09 AM
with that setup i wouldnt be surprised if you dead headed the pump..What about all those crazy cats in europe with 6 blocks, condenser style radiators & 6mm ID tubing running on 1046's?

Flow will be poor yes, but dead head is a bit far IMO :)

Bleam!
08-29-2005, 03:41 AM
Hate to burst your bubble, but that Full-cover wont fit the 7800's as the ram on them is about 1/4" higher on the pcb. Thats why its the "nv40" verion not the "g70" version.

As for loop order, check out Maxx's thread on the top of the forum, I think he has a section on order in there.

They are on it already and fits with no problems...

Holst
08-29-2005, 05:16 AM
Although im not one of the nigh flow junkies on this forum even I think that the 1250 will struggle to pump through all that lot.

From the looks of it you have an ideal system for a dual loop setup.
One pump for graphics and the two 120x1 rads with a resevoire.
Second loop for the CPU 120x2 rad and another res.

Im not sure which resevoires to use (as you seem to have 3)

I think I would use the 1250 for the GPU loop and buy a new pump for CPU.

Holst
08-29-2005, 05:19 AM
with that setup i wouldnt be surprised if you dead headed the pump..

nah ... it will still flow a bit, although your right that it will struggle especially as the GPU blocks look like they have pretty thin tubing.

To stop the pump from flowing completely you would need a MUCH more restrictive setup than this.
The 1250 hasnt got great head, but its not THAT bad.

moonlightcheese
08-29-2005, 07:22 AM

most of the 6800 specialty blocks will fit the 7800s. in fact i haven't seen one yet that won't (purely from reading other users' experiences). the nv68 from dangerden fits as does the nv40. as for that setup......

you'll have a lot of restriction for sure but it'll definitely be quiet. to get the most performance from this setup you will probably want 2 loops. you have a really large AC pump which may hold you back (takin up so much space). if you can, i'd say return the 1250 and go for a couple of Laing DDC pumps or some A50Zs. they will be quiet and will perform well. put the CPU in it's own loop with the BIP2 and put the GFX cards in a loop with the BIP1 and leave out the micro. no need to have two rads in a loop. one should suffice.

your gfx loop will get very hot, since those chips have much higher heat than your CPU (at stock). leave the GPU loop alone and if you want to add more later, add it to the CPU loop (ie chipset, etc...). that's probably as good as it's gonna get.

Bleam!
09-02-2005, 04:15 AM
most of the 6800 specialty blocks will fit the 7800s. in fact i haven't seen one yet that won't (purely from reading other users' experiences). the nv68 from dangerden fits as does the nv40. as for that setup......

you'll have a lot of restriction for sure but it'll definitely be quiet. to get the most performance from this setup you will probably want 2 loops. you have a really large AC pump which may hold you back (takin up so much space). if you can, i'd say return the 1250 and go for a couple of Laing DDC pumps or some A50Zs. they will be quiet and will perform well. put the CPU in it's own loop with the BIP2 and put the GFX cards in a loop with the BIP1 and leave out the micro. no need to have two rads in a loop. one should suffice.

your gfx loop will get very hot, since those chips have much higher heat than your CPU (at stock). leave the GPU loop alone and if you want to add more later, add it to the CPU loop (ie chipset, etc...). that's probably as good as it's gonna get.

Room is not an issue in my case, I ordered a second 1048 for the CPU loop :)

MaxxxRacer
09-02-2005, 11:36 AM
if you dont mind me asking why are you using such poorly suited pumps for this setup???

and if i havnt said this already the full cover blocks are a total waste of time and money.

Bleam!
09-08-2005, 12:15 AM
if you dont mind me asking why are you using such poorly suited pumps for this setup???

and if i havnt said this already the full cover blocks are a total waste of time and money.

Aren't the eheim 1250 one of the better pumps around?

scorp
09-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Aren't the eheim 1250 one of the better pumps around?

They are very reliable and relatively quiet. But they aren't especially well suited for water-cooling. They have a high flowrate, but a rather small head. In comparison the Swiftech 655 / DD D5 will offer the same flow rate, but twice the head.

moonlightcheese
09-08-2005, 03:43 AM
i can't remember seeing any numbers that show that. anyone have data on this?

FrozenPC4Brain
09-08-2005, 11:25 AM
"your gfx loop will get very hot, since those chips have much higher heat than your CPU (at stock)"
I was wondering about that very same thing, so you are saying that the gpu will run hotter than the cpu loop?
I was planning on putting bolth on the same loop, now I will rethink and replan, AGAIN.
Looks like Three loops again, good thing I do have 1 ddc, 4 AC and the wimpy stock unit in the AWC_1 res.
I picked up a tornado drink mixer I might make a res out of, (mostly for show, BLING)
I need to get some pic's of it an post. It's got a lot of BLING.

moonlightcheese
09-08-2005, 11:32 AM
"your gfx loop will get very hot, since those chips have much higher heat than your CPU (at stock)"
I was wondering about that very same thing, so you are saying that the gpu will run hotter than the cpu loop?
I was planning on putting bolth on the same loop, now I will rethink and replan, AGAIN
no need, your gfx card is made to run hotter. they can handle much greater temps than your average x86 processor. temps on the gfx card under load can reach 60C+ while your average A64 CPU reaches about 46C max (stock cooling and speeds).