PDA

View Full Version : Radiator question

Astaroth125
08-28-2005, 02:56 PM
I'm getting ready to watercool my X2 4400+ and 7800 GTX, and had a question about radiators. I had my heart set on a Weapon heatercore and shroud, with a Swiftech 655 pump, Storm G4 block, and maze 4 low profile for gpu. I PM'ed Weapon about a week and a half ago and haven't gotten a response. Now, I've read that he's busy, and I completely understand that. I'm curious if anyone knows how good the performance of the swiftech radiator in the Apex H2O w/ the storm block is, especially in comparison with a Weapon heatercore.

If there isn't much of a difference, when I order the parts in a week or two, I might just order the swiftech kit, but if there's a difference, I'll just make myself wait. Like I said, I originally had my heart set on a Weapon heatercore and shroud if he's still doing them, I'm just getting kind of antsy. :(

Thanks,
Astaroth

racinjimy
08-28-2005, 03:03 PM
You only need the low profile maze if you are SLI'ing otherwise the acetal maze would be fine

It's hard to know exactly the cooling difference betwwen a heatercore and a purpose built rad for WC

BUT

If you don't mind having loudish fans the heatercore MAY be slightly better

With your setup I think you'd be happy with a dual rad

I'm sure Maxxx will chime in with something much smarter than what I just said

Astaroth125
08-28-2005, 03:16 PM
It's an SLI board, I've got plans to go SLI within the next 3 months max, so everything is being designed with SLI in mind.

Also, if it helps, the pump and radiator will be in a custom box outside the case, I'll have a fan controller on the fans for the radiator, and I'm not too big a fan of noise. I'd prefer to run 2-4 fans at ~8-10v to quiet them a little.

Thanks,
Astaroth

Edit: I've got someone to cut the box for me, so they could also make a shroud if I got the swiftech kit. (Though I doubt mine will be as good as Weapon's is.)

One_Hertz
08-28-2005, 03:42 PM
A dual rad most likely wont cut it, especially if u oc. If you want a quiet sysetm a bip3 would do great for you.

Astaroth125
08-28-2005, 03:51 PM
I've got a single 120mm rad that was powering a 6800U and a 130nm 3400+. Will a dual rad not be enough for SLI or for on card?

Thanks,
Astaroth

MaxxxRacer
08-28-2005, 03:55 PM
if u plan go to with sli and considering you have a dual core cpu, it would be wise to a large rad. something larger than a dual 120mm. A tripple should handle the heat quite nicely though.

the bip3's are good, but not quite up to snuff when trying to cool your setup I dont think. you can still run a quiet setup with the BIX3 or 120.3 but it will still need to be a bit louder (fan wise) to get good airflow through the radiator.

Astaroth125
08-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Would running 6 fans in push/pull config allow me to run them quieter overall? I doubt it would, but I'm not positive. I'd rather overdo this and have the option to turn the fans down/take the performance hit than to have not as much performance as I was looking for.

This will have to be one huge box for this, considering I've got to fit this rad, a pump and a 5.25 drive bay in it.

Also, are the pump and blocks up to snuff?

Thanks,
Astaroth

bacon
08-28-2005, 04:03 PM
what do you think max on cooling a 3000 venice at 2.85ghz 1.6v and a 7800gtx with a pa160 and panaflow L1 fan at 7v

silence in mind, what ya reckon?

saves me making a new thread, sorry for hijack

edit: 6002 and maze 4 blocks, mcp350 pump, maybe stretch to AQX or D5 if they arent noticeably louder than a mcp350

MaxxxRacer
08-28-2005, 04:06 PM
astar, running 6 fans at 7v is equivalent to running 3 pulling at 12v.

bacon, the pa160 is a good rad, but tbh I noticed it getting pretty warm when put under a good load, and ur system is quite a bit hotter than mine.

Astaroth125
08-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Wow, BIX3 is $77.99 on DD's site, a lot less than I was expecting. I'm thinking of using 7/16 tubing for this, this is a seriously newbie question, but it will fit on the 1/2" OD BIX3, right? The only reason I ask is that FrozenCPU lists the BIX3 as having 1/2" ID and 5/8" OD, and DD lists it as 1/2" OD, I'm not sure which is correct. Thanks a bunch, everyone.

Astaroth

Edit: Also, what about a shroud for this? Is my best bet to make one?

skycrane
08-28-2005, 04:30 PM
the BIX3 is a 1/2" ID tubing, i have one cooling 2 3.6 pressies and 2 chipsets.....you dont really need a shroud with it, DD has it lined up fairly well where there would not be much air leakeage around the fans.

if you want to put something around the fans to make sure they do not leake Home Depot/ Loews..... have a grey puddy like stuff that HVAC guys use to seal the duct work......

this stuff works great, its like silly puddy :)

Astaroth125
08-28-2005, 04:41 PM
I thought the shroud also served to put the fan a little bit away from the radiator itself so there isn't as much noise. I know when you are pushing againt something like a radiator it'd make noise, not sure about pulling...

Thanks,
Astaroth

bacon
08-28-2005, 04:42 PM
bacon, the pa160 is a good rad, but tbh I noticed it getting pretty warm when put under a good load, and ur system is quite a bit hotter than mine.

cheers man, im guessing you mean if i use it under ful load for extensive periods of time, like hrs of solid gaming id see a temp difference that might not be for the better?

Holst
08-28-2005, 04:44 PM
Im pretty sure thats OD not ID .. even plastic 1/2" OD barbs are pretty big.

So 7/16 should fit over it ok.

MaxxxRacer
08-28-2005, 05:09 PM
bacon, the system will reach its max water temp relativley quickly unless you have a huge res, so its not after hours. after about 15 minutes it will reach its max temp which in my experience was a bit higher than i would have liked it.

skycrane
08-29-2005, 06:32 PM
id say its about a 1/2 inch or so space between the fan and the fins in a BIX3

Astaroth125
08-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Skycrane, just notcied you were in Northern VA. I'm in Fairfax. :)

Astaroth

skycrane
08-30-2005, 01:39 PM
lol, ive never met anyone online that close to me before....20 mi west of leesburg

vapb400
08-30-2005, 01:50 PM
Skycrane, just notcied you were in Northern VA. I'm in Fairfax. :)

Astaroth
woah im in fairfax too, in herndon, where are you?

Astaroth125
08-30-2005, 06:22 PM
I'm right by the corner of I-66 and Rt 29. Work at the Microcenter right there. ;\

Astaroth

moonlightcheese
08-31-2005, 01:25 AM
well anyhow... the BIX3 or BIP3 will offer the same performance as the heatercore and will be a bit smaller, fitting nicely over the fans. push-pulling your fans is hardly worth it as you will see next to no benefit from doing so, but you will add a ton of noise. i'd suggest the san ace fans, only because i hear they are quieter than the panaflos and with 3 fans you'll want a bit of quiet.

as for your pump and blocks, the G4 is the best production block you can get at the moment, although testing is putting a lot of favor on that new aquaextreme block. however, the G4 design is about the best you can get. the Swiftech pump should be just enough to push through you system. impingement CPU block, 2 GPUs, a BIX3, that's some pretty decent restriction but the 655 should handle it.

just a note, i ordered the parts for mine recently and the Swiftech 655 still seems to be on backorder so you will have to wait about a week or two before your order ships unless you pay for separate shipment.