PDA

View Full Version : Changed new rad and cpu block -> temps rose 2-3 degrees?!?

Family man 72
08-27-2005, 08:45 AM
Ok, here's the story:

I changed BIX to BIX3 and installed it outside the case (top of it) and changed Zalman WB2 Gold to Swiftech MCW6002 and changed tubing to 1/2''.
Next I started testing... and what I noticed was that cpu temp had risen by 3 celsius degrees!!! Checked cpu block mounting again and screws were tight.
Cpu block is cool to touch. I think the Epox is showing the temp wrong?

CrimeDog
08-27-2005, 09:03 AM
check contact, also silly things like pump being plugged in, and fans

Family man 72
08-27-2005, 09:06 AM
check contact, also silly things like pump being plugged in, and fans
Contact is perfect and pump and fans are working ok.

aja
08-27-2005, 09:07 AM
wait for the TIM to cure :)

toledo
08-27-2005, 09:14 AM
If i understood you have changed a single fan radiator by a 3 fan radiator and you are using the same pump . It is possible that the larger pressure drop caused by the bigger radiator had reduced flow , this may be a reason for the temps you are getting (even with better block/radiator ) .

What pump are you using ? BTW , ...are you comparing both temps based on the same room temperature ? 3C variation is quite normal , right ?

Family man 72
08-27-2005, 09:33 AM
If i understood you have changed a single fan radiator by a 3 fan radiator and you are using the same pump . It is possible that the larger pressure drop caused by the bigger radiator had reduced flow , this may be a reason for the temps you are getting (even with better block/radiator ) .

What pump are you using ? BTW , ...are you comparing both temps based on the same room temperature ? 3C variation is quite normal , right ?
Pump is Hydor L20, so you are possibly right about the flow reduction. Ambient temp is now 2-3 degrees cooler that is was when I tested BIX. So the actual delta is even bigger, right?
I'm going to test another bios tomorrow. Also noticed just that Epox has cpu temp sensor near socket area and because I have minimal air vent in case that might distort cpu temp reading.

toledo
08-27-2005, 09:52 AM
I'm going to test another bios tomorrow. Also noticed just that Epox has cpu temp sensor near socket area and because I have minimal air vent in case that might distort cpu temp reading.

I suggest you to keep the same bios you used when you had the BIX in order to have a fair comparison between the temps. Changing the bios will only give you a different measurement.

If you have technical data about the radiators (pressure drop x flow curve ) it is possible to know by how much the flow has been reduced .

Holst
08-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Epox temp sensor = most unnacturate thing in the world.

Me drunk blind and hanging upsideown from a rope with a shotgun tied to my toe is more accurate than an Epox temp sensor.

Ingore it...

Question is is your water temp higher or lower?

And Can you overclock more or less?

Fairydust
08-27-2005, 09:59 AM
There is no way that bit off extra flow restiction will net you a 3 ° increase. The BIX 3 is hardly restrictive. What fans are you using? Are you sure all air is bleeded from the loop?

toledo
08-27-2005, 10:02 AM
Epox temp sensor = most unnacturate thing in the world.

Me drunk blind and hanging upsideown from a rope with a shotgun tied to my toe is more accurate than an Epox temp sensor.

Ingore it...

Question is is your water temp higher or lower?

And Can you overclock more or less?

I think it does not matter ,as long as he keeps the same bios to measure both , he is comparing both . If it is wrong it is wrong in both cases (with BIX and BIX3 )

@Fairydust

Are you shure the difference is small ? I did not know about it . Where did you read that ?

MaxxxRacer
08-27-2005, 10:35 AM
what holst said ;)

Family man 72
08-28-2005, 02:06 AM
There is no way that bit off extra flow restiction will net you a 3 ° increase. The BIX 3 is hardly restrictive. What fans are you using? Are you sure all air is bleeded from the loop?
Fans are 25mm thick Titans and they push ca.79 cfm each. I installed them to suck from rad. I think all air is bleeded, but I will check that later.

Family man 72
09-01-2005, 03:48 AM
Update:

Installed 120mm fan and pointed it to blow to socket area -> cpu temp dropped 6 degrees in full load. Conclusion: Epox temp sensors suck!

toledo
09-01-2005, 04:05 AM
Update:

Installed 120mm fan and pointed it to blow to socket area -> cpu temp dropped 6 degrees in full load. Conclusion: Epox temp sensors suck!

But you don`t had the fans before , right ? If not , you had both measurements wrong not only the last one .

MaxxxRacer
09-01-2005, 01:14 PM
you didnt know the onboard sensors sucked... lol.

Family man 72
09-02-2005, 07:43 AM
But you don`t had the fans before , right ? If not , you had both measurements wrong not only the last one .
That's true partially,but BIX was installed inside the case (front) and ventilation was better then. Better ventilation, smaller temp.

Family man 72
09-02-2005, 07:45 AM
you didnt know the onboard sensors sucked... lol.
At least I know now. :)