PDA

View Full Version : Silent Liquid Cooling.

VeryProudOfYa
08-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Well I want to step my system's cooling up to water cooling but I want to go completely silent. I was taking a look at the fanless watercooling systems, Thermaltake Rocket and the Zalman Reserator, and noticed that the Thermaltake seemed to have the upper hand as far as silence and cooling power... Anyways, I was thinking how awesome it would be to find tower heatercores/radiators and create a custom watercooling system... Maybe dual tower heatercores? I am just throwing ideas out. Whatever it is I want complete silence: CPU Block, VGA Block, etc... :toast:

If anybody can help me out and tell me pros and cons on my idea and give suggestions.

phextwin
08-26-2005, 07:27 PM
If you want silence, you will need a top mounted radiator, with a thermal chimeny above it.
A channel block, (a WW for example, but having the inlet at the bottom and the outlet at the top, not using the center barb) arranged verticaly - keeping convection currents in mind you could run it pumpless too.

Dont expect a high overclock - might even have to lower it. It just depends on how you set it up.

GPU you could use one of those huge passive jobbies, and a Zalman NB-47J for the NB.

Fanless PSU & one of those gigabyte ramdrives, you are well on your way to a solid state system :)

MaxxxRacer
08-26-2005, 10:46 PM
well here is what i would do.

get a mcw6000, laing DDC, and a gigantic radiator. you want the radiator to be relatively thin as convenction wont be effective with a thick radiator. a BIP3 would work great and is very cheap now days. if you wanted to go crazy you could even run two of them in series or parallel (have to test which is more effective)

the radiators would need to be situated so that if looking down on them from above you can see through them. this will allow convection to occur.

The thermaltake and zlman solutions for this are TOTAL garbage and should not even be considered in a casual thought.

cartmanea
08-27-2005, 02:09 AM
I agree with Maxxx on the Black Ice Pro 3, it can be had at DangerDen.com for $45. If you want a performance silence system, I'd go with the Danger Den/Laing D5 or Swiftech mcp-655 pump (same thing). It is adjustable in speed, 1-5 and on the fastest setting, 5, it is nearly silent. Plus it has 1/2" barbs so you can use 1/2" tubing throughout. For a waterblock I'd probably go with the Swiftech 6002 or Danger Den TDX. For GPU block go Danger Den Maze4 with acetal top.

Save some shipping and just get it all from DangerDen.com since they have the best price on the radiator.

Psyche911
08-27-2005, 07:06 AM
DD has been out of stock for that BIP3 for quite some time, I don't think it's coming back in. Well, shoot. Sidewindercomputers.com had it in stock last night but I just checked and it's out there too. Same with Jab-Tech. I think FrozenCPU still charges the old price. I don't know where to get it now under $50.

Holst
08-27-2005, 07:18 AM
Quiet with watercooling is pretty easy to acheive.

Very quiet isnt all that hard.

But SILENT is very very hard to do.

As soon as you take away CPU,gpu and chipset fans then you hear your PSU fans.
Remove those you hear your hard drives.
Remove them and you can still hear your PSU buzz.

Its all relative.

I think that running totaly fanless is silly. You can buy very quiet fans that dont move much air, but will still improove your temps by loads. PC watercooling does not work well in a passive way. You need a fan or you get MUCH higher temps IMO.

VeryProudOfYa
08-27-2005, 08:18 AM
Thanks so very much for the comments guys.
This is pointed to Holst's comment.

I know that running a completely silent system is impossible as there is always going to be something audible but basically I want something quiter than what I have now:
Thermaltake Smart CaseFan II, 6 Enermax 80mm case fans and a loud ass stock cooler on the eVGA GeForce6800GT. :p:

I overlock now on a XP-M 2200+ and it hits 2.3Ghz well and could probably go higher. I really don't like overclocking because sometimes different clock settings can :banana::banana::banana::banana: up my Operating System meaning lilo won't boot a linux distro or things such as that. So what I am gonna do is buy myself a XP 3200+ "barton" and not overclock. Basically I am sick of having to get a perfect clock setting to have linux boot. I just wanna drop the chip and BAM, go to town. ;)

So this liquid cooling system is just gonna have to keep the CPU cool enough to perform, not keep it cool enough to be stable because it won't be overclocked. Here's what I think I will end up doing with fans. I will have the PSU (Hiper Type-R) and pretty much that will be the only thing with a fan on it... I could probably put a huge passive heatsink on my GeForce with the heat pipes and such and get away with better temps than what I have now.
I'm sure temp cases increase when you have something like that... Do they?

Anyways, enough for now... I have already typed way too much. :toast:

Bloody_Sorcerer
08-27-2005, 08:39 AM
just get a bip of some form and those nexus 120mm fans that are like 18dba (and move about as much air as an 80mm fan :-P ) those would be quieter than pretty much anything but would help load temps significantly while still remaining utterly silent.

aja
08-27-2005, 09:12 AM
chech this out for TOTALLY silent water cooling (http://www.overclockers.com/articles1246/) (if you modify it to run without fans :stick: )

and an update here (http://www.overclockers.com/articles1248/)

not that effective, but run it without fans and it's as silent as a smiley vapourized by a ray gun :frag:

VeryProudOfYa
08-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the contributions and comments guys. I have decided to just wait to update my computer. I am turning 16 here soon and need to have money for my car and such and I will definitely come back when I decide to update.
Thanks again!
Peace.

VeryProudOfYa
08-27-2005, 05:22 PM
Nevermind, I have decided to go for the watercooling. ;)

So I have found a BIX III for 79USD on performance-pcs... And frozencpu has the BIP III for 94USD... Any reason I shouldn't get two BIX IIIs?
And then get myself a MCW6000K-A (Black and Chrome of course :P ) and I should be good... Oops, the pump. :D And then a Swiftech MCP655. Does this sound like a good set up guys? Now when you say I run the Radiators together and I need to be able to see through them. From what direction?

Thanks for all the help. Peace!

BRiT
08-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Since the BIXes are thicker than BIPes, the BIX will cause more noise since they will need to be paired with higher-cfm fans.

VeryProudOfYa
08-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Since the BIXes are thicker than BIPes, the BIX will cause more noise since they will need to be paired with higher-cfm fans.

Ehh? This is gonna be a fanless system.

BRiT
08-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Ehh? This is gonna be a fanless system.

In that case, you'll definitely want the BIP. The less compact the radiator fins are, the better... As maxx said earlier:

you want the radiator to be relatively thin as convenction wont be effective with a thick radiator.

Bloody_Sorcerer
08-27-2005, 07:43 PM
please, please, PLEASE use fans of some form. even if they're 5v nexus fans, PLEASE!

MaxxxRacer
08-27-2005, 10:28 PM
get the BIP3 from dangerden...

Psyche911
08-27-2005, 10:44 PM
get the BIP3 from dangerden...

DD has been out of stock for that BIP3 for quite some time, I don't think it's coming back in. Well, shoot. Sidewindercomputers.com had it in stock last night but I just checked and it's out there too. Same with Jab-Tech. I think FrozenCPU still charges the old price. I don't know where to get it now under $50.

:p
<s>Looks like he'll have to buy it from FrozenCPU for $95.</s>

Nevermind. Looks like they're out too. lol

MaxxxRacer
08-28-2005, 12:41 AM
lol psyche.. didnt know everyone was out of stock

well if they come back in stock it would be a good choice.

as to going fanless. I also dont suggest it. the nexus fans are a bit expensive, but at 7volts you CANNOT hear them. your HDD's and PSU will be CONSIDERABLY louder..

VeryProudOfYa
08-30-2005, 07:21 PM
So here's my part list so far:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=3506 (These are the same fans you guys are talking about, correct?)
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3410
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3112 and http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200&products_id=3123 . Sound good? :toast: Reccomendations are welcomed! :clap:

cartmanea
08-31-2005, 01:32 AM
Please use some fans, even if they are run at 5v and move only 10cfm, it will be loads better than passive and will be silent.

MaxxxRacer
08-31-2005, 08:52 AM
sounds good. granted those fans would be better suited to the BIP3, but thats OK.

cartmanea
08-31-2005, 09:44 AM
I'm just saying, anything would be better than passive, but yes low flow fans work best with the BIP series since they are less restrictive to airflow.

VeryProudOfYa
08-31-2005, 12:14 PM
Okay. Then BIP it is. ;)

Thanks for all the help guys... One quick question before I order. What about fluids? I want to use FrozenCPU UV Green Dye. What kind of mixture do I make?

MaxxxRacer
08-31-2005, 12:59 PM
oh get some zerex..

scorp
09-01-2005, 10:40 AM
If you really want to go for silence don't chose the 655 or D5 (they are the same pump). They are not silent at all. Probably 2 x MAG or 1 x MAG would suite you well. The MAGs have been reported to be very silent (about the same lever with an Eheim 1048), althrough some users reported a clicking noise that just vanished after a while. ** No point in bashing me about the 655 / D5 being silent; a friend bought one and althrough it's very far from being loud, it is far from being silent as well. And after a while it had developed a strange noise. When we looked for a reason we have found out a few other people that reported the noise problem, so it's either a shipping damage or a problem that appears seldomly; but even without that noise, the pump was not silent.

cartmanea
09-01-2005, 10:53 AM
The 655/D5 pump is actually VERY quiet, even on the highest setting. I used it for a while and running all Panaflo L1A fans I could not hear the pump over the very little fan noise. Even running by itself in testing it is very quiet, and I would say inaudible at the lower settings. Going with the D-Tek Mag would save you about $25 though and if you would run the 655/D5 at lower settings anyway, performance would be similar.

moonlightcheese
09-01-2005, 11:03 AM
No point in bashing me about the 655 / D5 being silent; a friend bought one and althrough it's very far from being loud, it is far from being silent as well. And after a while it had developed a strange noise. When we looked for a reason we have found out a few other people that reported the noise problem, so it's either a shipping damage or a problem that appears seldomly; but even without that noise, the pump was not silent.
this was a defect in the early release of the D5/655 pump. it has since been fixed and swiftech or dangerden will happily exchange the pump for you. there is no clicking noise with the newer revisions.

scorp
09-01-2005, 11:25 AM
The 655/D5 pump is actually VERY quiet, even on the highest setting. I used it for a while and running all Panaflo L1A fans I could not hear the pump over the very little fan noise. Even running by itself in testing it is very quiet, and I would say inaudible at the lower settings. Going with the D-Tek Mag would save you about $25 though and if you would run the 655/D5 at lower settings anyway, performance would be similar.

He decided not to RMA it, since the shipping from Europe would cost him too much.

MaxxxRacer
09-01-2005, 12:37 PM
well it is hardly fair to base your reccomendations on a defective pump, that has since been fixed.

sc00p
09-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Quiet with watercooling is pretty easy to acheive.

Very quiet isnt all that hard.

But SILENT is very very hard to do.

As soon as you take away CPU,gpu and chipset fans then you hear your PSU fans.
Remove those you hear your hard drives.
Remove them and you can still hear your PSU buzz.

Its all relative.

I think that running totaly fanless is silly. You can buy very quiet fans that dont move much air, but will still improove your temps by loads. PC watercooling does not work well in a passive way. You need a fan or you get MUCH higher temps IMO.

That's why I have modded also my PSU for WC :)

And VeryProudOfYa: Me too have XP3.2K Barton. And four Papst-fans@low rpm and Swiftech MCP600 and Ford Sierra heatercore (about same as BIX) -> I've been satisfied ~two-three years with the result. CPU temp under full load ~37C (with a old modded unknown M-maze finnish block -> U-type, good flow). System isn't absolute silent but yet very quiet :p:

And of course GPU is also at WC.

As Holst said: silent is hard to achieve. I hear my neighbours and some roadnoise from outside sometimes :D

scorp
09-01-2005, 10:56 PM
well it is hardly fair to base your reccomendations on a defective pump, that has since been fixed.

If my friend's pump would have been the only one that had such a problem it would have been clear that it was a shipping issue. But there are other users that had this problem. And besides I did mention that in my opinion (I did actually forget to say my opinion) the pump was not silent even before starting making that strange noise. The system in which is installed has a BIP2 with 2 Nexus 120mm @8v (roughly around 750RPM) and a Seasonic PSU that had it's fan changed with a 120mm Nexus that is run at 8v. The HDD that is used is a Samsung SP1614C SATA, decoupled in an HDD Vibe Fixer. The WC loop cools the GPU (an X800XT) as well as the CPU (a Venice 3500+). In this system the pump was clearly audible from the start and was the noisiest component by quite a far margin. VeryProudOfYa did mention that he wants a silent PC and not simply a rather (or very) quiet PC. That's why I said that I wouldn't recommand a 655 for a silent PC.

MaxxxRacer
09-01-2005, 11:55 PM
well from the sound of it ur friend was going for the most absolute silent computer he could get.. and ur right the 655 wouldnt be the best option.. DDC would probably be the best...