PDA

View Full Version : Improving Intel Gigabit o. copper NIC Preformance

str8eiht
12-31-2002, 02:48 AM
Just got a great deal from Ebay. 10 Cards. 4 of which were Intel Gigabit Cards. All for less than 50 US$! What a steal. Just working to config em now. Initial benchmarks have been less than I expected. My goal was for my disks (IBM IDE/ATA, Seagate ultra2w, ultra160) to become the bottleneck at around 40 MB/sec.
Unfortunately my initial benchmarks using iPerf under Win2K-SP3

http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf

have the two cards capped at around 27 to 30 MB/sec. I know from reading benchmarks on these cards both of which are Intel Pro 1000 T Server Adapters, that the numbers should be AT LEAST twice that. Here is what I’ve done so far to try to increase they're throughput.

1. Replaced the existing CAT5E x-over cable with another, this doubled the speed from 14 to 28 MB /sec! (Not bad, but not quite there yet)

2. Tried all three JUMBO FRAME TYPES. Decreased throughput each time

3. Set following registry value for the Intel card

HKEY\SYSTEM\CURRENT CONTROL SET\
SERVICES\TCPIP\PARAMETERS\
ADAPTERS\(ADAPTER NAME HERE)\TcpMaxWindow (Dword Value)

Tried it a 32k, 64k and 4 MB!

Decreased each time based on default setting

4. Tried disabling the 2nd nic present in the PC on both pc's. They are LINKSYS LNE100TX (10/100 Mbit)

Any other ideas on how to get my throughput past 30 MB /sec would be greatly appreciated. My goal here is to get the throughput into the 60-80 MB/sec range as I am upgrading my SCSI subsystem to a LSI Logic MegaRaid 500 RAID card using LVD compliant cabling. I'd like to get more from the cards. Thanks, regards and happy holidays

wdd1040
12-31-2002, 07:11 AM
Is windows detecting and installing them as Pro 1000s? I had a problem similar to that at school and it was a driver issue.
~wes

str8eiht
12-31-2002, 01:40 PM
Drivers are cool. Dedtected okay as pro 1000 series. Thanks for the info though.

Tweaked!
12-31-2002, 02:00 PM
Have you tried straight cable instead of cross-over? Just a thought.:)

str8eiht
12-31-2002, 02:09 PM
That's a really good idea. I have read that Intel gigabit cards can run over regular non x-over cable. Seeing as changing from one x-over cable to another which were supposedly both rated for CAT5E spec increased my speed by 2x times! I'll buy one from my local comp store tomorrow and try it! Thanks

Tweaked!
12-31-2002, 02:27 PM
Hope it works for you, it works for me on several different setups:)

str8eiht
12-31-2002, 03:07 PM
As I said above my tests using Ipref capped out at and avg of 30 MB/sec what sort of averages were u seeing?