PDA

View Full Version : Linux on 2nd HDD ???

Platform
08-22-2005, 12:13 PM
Ok.......I have downloaded the ISO "College Linux" burnt it to a CD, but I have two HDD's

80GB ATA -NTFS: Contains most programs and WinXP Pro SP2
300GB SATA -NTFS: Contains a few programs and mainly data.

I have got Partition Macgic 8.0 so partitioning should be easy.
But my problem is that the 80GB HDD with WinXP is nearly full, while the 300 I have 230GB left free......in Partition magic there is a function that lets you install a 2nd OS on the machine...

But how can I install Linux on the 2nd HDD and have dualboot....the menu so that I can choose what OS...but on two different HDD's

And I have read that CL does not support SATA is it true or ?? anyway think it would work because it seems to be that just a different cable and it is beeing controlled by an IDE controller.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Ugly n Grey
08-22-2005, 12:16 PM
the boot partition can be anywhere, it's the bootloader that resides on the primary disk and it doesn't take much room so you're good... SATA appears as IDE anyhow....

Platform
08-22-2005, 12:35 PM
the boot partition can be anywhere, it's the bootloader that resides on the primary disk and it doesn't take much room so you're good... SATA appears as IDE anyhow....

Thanks.......so if I get you.......I can have WinXP on the 80GB and Linux on the 300GB in a Linux partition of course.......and have a bootloader that will still let me boot either of them......

A bit nOOb but how would I do that :confused:

Edit: How big should the partition be ?

masterofpuppets
08-22-2005, 01:22 PM

Wrong (unless you are talking about Windows, or the BIOS). Linux 2.6 detects SATA disks as SCSI devices.

Ugly n Grey
08-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Agreed, The libATA driver uses the kernel's SCSI layer, and causes each SATA port to appear as a new SCSI bus.

But yeah I am talking about boot agents and BIOS for the purposes of installation...The SATA is presented to the bootstrap as an IDE device...

The best thing you can do for yourself is decrease the size of the partition on the 300 gig drive and leave free space so Linux can do it's own install of partitions. I don't know the distro you are using, but most times Linux distros will find and mount the NTFS partitions on their own under etc if you need access. If you decide to use boot magic read the installation instructions carefully, there is detailed info on the web....

If you are just trying this for fun, I recommend you use something like VMWARE and test it on a virtual machine first. It's so easy to screw up your partitions and unless you are comfortable repairing boot sectors and partition information in the event of problems, it can be tough on a first timer.

[XC] moddolicous
08-22-2005, 07:53 PM
What is the smallest hard drive I can use Gentoo on for a Dedicated cruncher? Will 5gb work?

Ugly n Grey
08-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Yep, that's plenty but if you are going to do that, why not use Knoppix?

[XC] moddolicous
08-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Why would that be better? It will ONLY be crunching, so all I need is enough space for the OS, D2OL, Dimes, and Java.

Ugly n Grey
08-22-2005, 08:30 PM
I'm just thinking of ease of use. I think in one of the other threads someone is talking about a bootable ISO for crunching, anything in that thread to help?

Platform
08-23-2005, 01:05 AM
Agreed, The libATA driver uses the kernel's SCSI layer, and causes each SATA port to appear as a new SCSI bus.

But yeah I am talking about boot agents and BIOS for the purposes of installation...The SATA is presented to the bootstrap as an IDE device...

The best thing you can do for yourself is decrease the size of the partition on the 300 gig drive and leave free space so Linux can do it's own install of partitions. I don't know the distro you are using, but most times Linux distros will find and mount the NTFS partitions on their own under etc if you need access. If you decide to use boot magic read the installation instructions carefully, there is detailed info on the web....

If you are just trying this for fun, I recommend you use something like VMWARE and test it on a virtual machine first. It's so easy to screw up your partitions and unless you are comfortable repairing boot sectors and partition information in the event of problems, it can be tough on a first timer.

Would it appearing as a SCSI drive be bad ???

Decrease the size of the partition on the 300GB.... :confused: sorry don't get it...I only have it formatted as NTFS and just one partition....

Yeah this is just to try out Linux...first time....had heard that CL was easy and also it only one disk. WMWARE......searched but not totally sure...emulsion software ? which one ?
Also my 80GB drive has 7.6GB free.....would it be easier using that drive ? would just prefer using the 300 since it does not contain my OS and apps.

Just want to install an easy distro and have dual boot capabilities...what is the easiest way :confused:

When I creat a partition on one of the drives......which file system....Linux Ext2, Linux Ext3, Linux Swap :confused:

Platform
08-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Ok, Installed Mandrake 10.1 onto a ext3 partition of 10GB
Installation went smooth and nice....bootloader works fine etc. it loads just fine with everything OK.......but after loading everything it just gives me is a blue screen and nothing happnes :eek: :eek: :(

From Lilo Windows boot just fine....so does Mandrake but as said...just stops with a blue screen and nothing happns :eek: :(
Please help.......what to do to make it load up to login???

Thanks a lot

nn_step
08-31-2005, 09:00 PM
I would put the two drives in raid 5 and install like normal..
I believe that works with ide but I never tried it..
works great with sata...

Ugly n Grey
09-01-2005, 06:05 AM
I would put the two drives in raid 5 and install like normal..
I believe that works with ide but I never tried it..
works great with sata...

You need at least three drives for RAID 5. :fact: